PDA

View Full Version : fleas in general question

paul_brum2003
12-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Can a person carry fleas or ticks etc into there house to their house pets?I was asked by a friend if you can carry fleas on your clothes because she has outside cats now & her inside cat is allergic to fleas.

Snowball also has allergies & have never seen a flea but she did have ear mites .
Pauline

Jods
12-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Yes people can carry fleas, but usually you get them from your pets who bring them in from outside. They are also carried in our hair not our clothes. I'm pretty sure. Oh and yes people can get ticks as well but they latch on to skin :eek:

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-18-2004, 12:18 PM
I heard this too. The fleas just hide on humans, and as soon as they see a "suitable" victim, they "jump".... .

GraciesMommy
12-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Fleas love socks!

sirrahbed
12-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by GraciesMommy
Fleas love socks!

That's for sure! Hubby had to make a call on a flea infested house a few months ago. He came back to the car with his sister and had to strip off his socks and shoes - kicked off the shoes...sealed the socks in a ziploc bag as they were so full of fleas!:eek:
He said they both showered and laundered all their clothes when they got home. YUCK!!

BitsyNaceyDog
12-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Yes ticks too can be carried into the house on people. We are having a very bad tick season here in Florida right now (because of the hurricanes over the summer). My dogs are all on tick prevention and my cats don't go outside, but I have still found ticks on myself (not imbedded, thank God) and a couple walking in the house. :rolleyes: :(

moosmom
12-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Absolutely! Whenever I go to the shelter to volunteer, the first thing I do when I get home is strip down to my underwear in the hallway, leaving my clothes and shoes on the steps, before I enter my kitchen. :eek: Don't worry, I have no other neighbors and only I have access to my stairway.

Best thing for fleas, according to my vet is Revolution. It kills fleas, flea eggs, ticks, earmites and takes care of intestinal parasites.

GraciesMommy
12-18-2004, 06:49 PM
About a year ago we had a cat who took up residence in our back yard but we couldn't catch her. Evidently she was covered in fleas and so was our yard and we had to call Terminix to come take care of it. Our guy told us to walk around in white socks and you would see them jump and sure enough they were hopping! He had to bomb and that took care of them. This was after Mercedes went to RB and before we got Gracie..so we knew it had to be that cat. (Don't know what ever happened to the kitty, she hung around a couple of weeks and then was gone..even tho I did put out food for her..maybe she found her way home, rather think that then her getting run over!)

Jods
12-19-2004, 09:53 AM
WOW I never knew this... :(

catmandu
12-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Sadly,you can,especilly,if you have the Strays,that hang around,The Hotel,as I do.