PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I was lying

Tonya
12-17-2004, 08:36 PM
I am not pregnant after all... :o

Jeesh, reading this freaks me out. She met the person online in a dog forum.

SKIDMORE, Mo. - A 36-year-old Melvern, Kan., woman was charged Friday in the death of a pregnant northwest Missouri woman Thursday whose baby was removed from her womb.

U.S. Attorney Todd Graves said Lisa M. Montgomery, 36, was charged with the federal crime of kidnapping resulting in death. Graves said Montgomery could face life in prison or the death penalty if convicted.

Twenty-three-year-old Bobbi Stinnett of Skidmore was eight months pregnant when her body was found Thursday in her home, her fetus surgically removed. Paramedics tried to revive her, but she was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The baby was found in good health Friday, bringing relief to authorities who had spent the last day frantically searching for the baby girl. A tip resulting from an Amber Alert led officials to a home in Kansas where a baby was found. She was taken to a hospital in Topeka, Kan., authorities said.

"We're confident we have the little girl that was taken from Skidmore," Nodaway County Sheriff Ben Espey said during a news conference in Maryville, noting that the Amber Alert issued for the baby had been canceled. The authorities were running a DNA check to verify the identity of the baby.

On-line acquaintance
Graves said Montgomery met Stinnett — who bred rat terrier dogs — through an Internet message board. He said Montgomery was apparently seeking to buy a dog from Stinnett. The message board led officials to Montgomery's home about 30 miles southwest of Topeka.

Graves would not give a motive for the crime.

Earlier, Espey said he believed Stinnett was strangled and resisted the attack, and authorities hoped that strands of hair found in her hands would help identify the killer. They were awaiting DNA testing to confirm the newborn is Stinnett’s child, a factory worker.

“The autopsy is going to show us there was some blond hair probably found in her hands,” the sheriff said. “That would also help us with the DNA.”

Authorities had been questioning a man and a woman who were in the same place as where the baby was found in eastern Kansas. A red Honda hatchback matching a description offered earlier by police was in the driveway of the home.

Graves said the investigation was ongoing but would not say if additional charges might be filed or if there was another suspect.

Espey said there was no indication of forced entry into Stinnett's small white home in this community of about 500, located north of St. Joseph in the extreme northwest corner of Missouri.

A neighbor, Bill Dragoo, said Stinnett and her husband raised dogs and “didn’t bother anybody. It blows my mind that this happened. She was such a shy person. They didn’t deserve this.”

Baby expected to do well
Doctors said the baby could have suffered a variety of traumas during the assault, including a lack of oxygen, but could likely survive if treated.

“Ninety-five percent are going to do pretty well given a modest amount of medical attention,” said Dr. Perry Clark, medical director of the neonatal intensive care unit at The University of Kansas Hospital.

Stinnett, married for little more than a year and expecting her first child, worked at an engine factory in nearby Maryville. Her husband was at work at the time she was killed, authorities said.

Several pregnant women have been killed in recent years by attackers who then removed their fetuses, in some cases to pass the children off as their own.

In the most recent case, a 21-year-old woman was shot to death in Oklahoma in December 2003, allegedly by another woman who pretended the 6-month-old fetus was her child. The fetus died and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

© 2004 The Associated Press.

popcornbird
12-17-2004, 08:42 PM
O-M-G ! ! ! :eek:

I read that on the news and was HORRIFIED, but I didn't read anything about her meeting the person from a message board. YIKES! That is so scary. How could ANYONE do something as horrific as killing a mother and stealing her unborn child??? :(:mad:

This just proves that we SHOULD be careful about giving too much personal information online. You just never know. :(

flamepony12
12-17-2004, 08:48 PM
I agree with PCB... That is just HORRIFIC and we have to be careful about personal info. :( Who knows what could happen. :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

Corinna
12-17-2004, 11:25 PM
This whole thingg stinks but I'm so glad baby was found ok . That poor husband, now at least he has a living memory of his love.

BCBlondie
12-18-2004, 12:22 AM
:eek: ......

Omg... :\ ... :(

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-18-2004, 03:04 AM
:eek: :eek:
This is not the first time that a horrible thing like this happens! Remember the actress Sharon Tate? Same "thing" happened to her. She was 8 months pregnant too. I cannot remember the name of the man who did it...:(

Tina
12-18-2004, 12:13 PM
That is so sad and very sick!:(

luckies4me
12-18-2004, 12:42 PM
While this is a tragedy, I don't think you have to worry so much about a person online trying to kill you, though it has happened to me once before. :p But still, I've met plenty of people online, and without them my life would completely suck! I wouldn't have made some of the good friends I have now if it wasn't for the internet. And if I did meet someone and they killed me, well, whatever. I'd rather take a chance than to not live. I'm not going to be stuck at home all day scared to come out because of a few incidents.

Sharon Tate was killed by Charles Manson was she not? Or was that someone else? I feel horrible for the mother of the baby, and the father. I can't imagine going through something like that.

Sirrahsim
12-18-2004, 05:13 PM
this has been a pig topic on the pregnancy message board that I frequent. There are a couple girls over there that live in the Skidmore area:( Few things make me quite so glad to live on the other side of the world.

DJFyrewolf36
12-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Ick! How sick can people be...

Just to clarify, Sharon Tate was killed by members of the Manson cult. It was never proven in court that Manson killed anyone himself, he just convinced others to kill for him. (pretty sick I think)

luckies4me
12-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
Ick! How sick can people be...

Just to clarify, Sharon Tate was killed by members of the Manson cult. It was never proven in court that Manson killed anyone himself, he just convinced others to kill for him. (pretty sick I think)

Yes, that's what I meant. I watched a special about him on TV. Creepy!:eek:

Miranda_Rae
12-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Oh my gosh!! :eek: Make me MORE paranoid than I already am. :rolleyes: Yep, now I know for SURE that i won't be posting any pictures of me, friends, or family on here (not saying you are a bunch of physco killers - but you never know who is lurking). That's just sick. That poor lady. I bet if she lived through it, she would be plaged by guilt for the rest of her life. :( :( I feel sorry for the poor baby having to grow up without a mother. :( Rest in Peace, sweety. :(

Tonya
12-19-2004, 01:18 AM
Well, I met my hubby and alot of great friends online. There are a few precautions that we all should take. Meeting people can be safe, but it needs to happen in public places. And you shouldn't be alone.