PDA

View Full Version : black gums on labrador

brian
12-16-2004, 09:21 PM
My dog has gums that are black all around her mouth from her teeth up about half an inch. She is in great health and the black gums seem hard and smooth. She has no trouble chewing . Any ideas if this is an indication of disease?

Shelteez2
12-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Has it been this way all her life?
I'm betting it's just very strong pigment, which can be quite common in many breeds, black labs included.

lv4dogs
12-17-2004, 09:14 AM
I agree that is probably just her pigmenataion. It is very common on all breeds to have blck/pink gums, even black spots on the tongue.

Even if she has not had them *all* her life, as long as they started to appear during the first year of her life, that is probably what they are.

sammy101
12-19-2004, 09:54 PM
my dog is a lab mix and he has black on his gums,and he's in perfect health/i agree with everyone else:)

Kfamr
12-20-2004, 10:05 AM
All three of my dogs have a mixture of black/pink gums. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-20-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm sure it's jsut the way she is:) Echo and Tia both have a mixture of black and a pinkish colour snd Tango's are a brownish, pinkish & purple colour:D

egreen
02-19-2006, 10:59 AM
My Dog Dixie is a Black Lab, she may be mixed got her from North Shore about 3 years ago. I know she has black on her tongue. Never notices her gums before, till the Vet said she has tartar. She had stones in her bladder and is on a special diet. Last night I opened her mouth and noticed her gums were completely black. She is healthy now and playful. Now i see on this that Labs do have black gums. It was a shock when i saw her gums

Bonny
02-19-2006, 11:35 AM
We are puppy sitting our son & daughter in laws black lab. I just checked his gums & there is black pigment around his teeth with a black pinkish hue of skin above & around his inner mouth. His tongue is pink.

lizbud
02-19-2006, 05:03 PM
My Maggie had the black/grey gums & teeth when she was
teething. The Vet said it was nothing to worry about & her teeth
looked fine. She's a black lab /mix.