PDA

View Full Version : Get on the do not call list for cell phones...

Tonya
12-15-2004, 11:06 PM
If you haven't heard... as of Jan. 1st cell phone numbers will be
made public to telemarketing firms... so this means as of Jan 1st your cell might start ringing off the hook with telemarketers, but unlike your home phone... you PAY for your incoming calls with day-time minutes! You need to call 1-888-382-1222 from the cell phone you wish to have put on the list.

You can also do it online... (which is what I did) www.donotcall.gov

Angus's Dad
12-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Thanks Tonya.

Kater
12-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Thanks! I meant to do this when I got my cell phone but I had forgotten about it. I'm always getting text messages from telemarketers...:rolleyes:

GiantSchnauzer
12-16-2004, 10:10 PM
I saw something about this on another forum I belong to, added my number then found out it's not true.

Cell Phone Myth (http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp)

Tonya
12-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by GiantSchnauzer
I saw something about this on another forum I belong to, added my number then found out it's not true.

Cell Phone Myth (http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp)

Yeah, the original email that I recieved said I had to do it by December 15th. I knew that was untrue because I work for the phone company, so we are the first to get the CPUC (CA Public Utility Commision) updates.

The part about having to do it by a certain time is false, but the fact that they're opening our numbers up to the public is true. That website is a legitimate government website and it says to enter your cell and home phones right on it.

GraciesMommy
12-17-2004, 06:18 AM
I did this too.. I have already had 4 calls on my cell, one last night, from sales...gripes me to pieces!

ramanth
12-17-2004, 08:11 AM
I heard on the radio news that the information about cell phone numbers being available to telemarketers is a rumor. I signed up anyway.

Just FYI. :)

moosmom
12-17-2004, 08:45 AM
I also signed up as well. I get enough telemarketers at home. I don't need them on my cellphone as well.

The recording tells you that if they DO call to get the name of the company and file a complaint. But have you guys noticed these days that most telemarketing calls are now electronically sent? They are voice activated and it's a recording, not a live person. They should outlaw telemarketers!! :mad:

cali
12-17-2004, 10:06 AM
I tried to sign up but it keeps telling me my area code is wronge, I know for a fact my area code is NOT wrong!

Corinna
12-17-2004, 11:10 AM
He in Montana we made a law about electronic telemarketing. You must be a live voice and no dialers. Bill collectors are excempt.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Question: is this for the USA only? Or worldwide :eek: ??

sirrahbed
12-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks Tonya! Good info and not a rumor as the Snopes site you gave as a referral. I appreciate it and have registered my cell.

cali
12-17-2004, 01:15 PM
ok really, WHAT is wrong with my area code that it keeps telling me that it is not my area code? my area code is 306 and has been since I was little, but I keep getting "please correct your area code on line 1" :confused:

Cinder & Smoke
12-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy

Question: is this for the USA only?
Or worldwide :eek: ??

The *linked* Do Not Call list is for the USA only.

Don't know how much of a problem TeleMarketers are in other
parts of the World.

Here in the States they became a HUGE Problem -
often calling at meal times or in the evening,
repeatedly calling :mad:
and sometimes rude and often very *pushy*.

Since listing my land-line AND Cell numbers -
I've only received a couple TeleMarketing calls.
Berfore listing, I could count on a dozen or more a week. :mad:

/s/ Phred

RedHedd
12-17-2004, 02:27 PM
I listed both my home and cell phone the minute the list opened. Very few calls get through anymore and those that do, I politely ask them to put me on the do-not-call list. By law they are required to comply with my request. Also, to complete the process you must respond to the confirmation e-mail they send you. It really does work!

QueenScoopalot
12-17-2004, 03:23 PM
We've been on the "do not call" list for a long time, but I can't resist having some fun at their expense anyway! By law charities are allowed to still bug people, so there's one in particular that when they do call, get entertained by the dogs barking loudly! I pick up the phone (caller ID needed hee, heee) and then go outside and knock on the door to get the dogs going! It usually stops the calls for a short time, but they always tend to come back for more torture LOL! :D Signing up for cell phones next..thanks!