PDA

View Full Version : hey!!!Does any one like snakes.

zachrockman
12-14-2004, 03:27 PM
hi i am getting a ball python and does any one have any tips or things to tell me that are very important!!:D:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:[COLOR=sandybrown]

CathyBogart
12-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Ask some questions, there are many knowledgeable snake owners here.

Buy from a reputable breeder. Steer clear of pet store ball pythons. Turst me, I have worked in a pet store for the last three years. They are farm bred - and not healthy.

See the snake eat frozen thawed prey before you buy it. Ball pythons are notoriously finicky, and frozen prey is better for the snake.

Don't get a very young snake, try for a yearling. It will be a bit more expensive, but it is worth it. This is an established animal, you can tell if it has been eating well or not, and you can tell a lot more about its temperament.

Contrary to many peoples' opinions, I do not elieve ball pythons are a very good beginner's snake. Ask lots of questions, do a lot of research, and if you have even a speck of doubt about a breeder....wait. Better to wait than have to deal with a sick or anorexic animal.

Ball pythons can be a beautiful and delightful species, and I wish you the best of luck!

BitsyNaceyDog
12-15-2004, 06:39 AM
I agree with everything Wolfchan said.
I have 2 rescued ball pythons, one of which is nearly blind.
They are VERY picky and difficult snakes. I wouldn't recommend a ball as a first snake.
I actually have 6 snakes. 2 balls, 2 red tail boas, 1 snow corn snake, and 1 jungle carpet python. The corn snake was my first snake and a great beginner snake.

zachrockman
12-15-2004, 04:00 PM
well I have bin doing tons aron tons of reasearch and I am pretty shure I could handle it.I have had many reptiles and I have alot of knowledge about them.the reptiles I have had are iquna,spikeytail lizard,bullfrog,southamerican bullfrog,and some others.I just hade to see what you guys thought and that I could.;) :) ;) :)

BitsyNaceyDog
12-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by zachrockman
well I have bin doing tons aron tons of reasearch and I am pretty shure I could handle it.I have had many reptiles and I have alot of knowledge about them.the reptiles I have had are iquna,spikeytail lizard,bullfrog,southamerican bullfrog,and some others.I just hade to see what you guys thought and that I could.;) :) ;) :)

I don't want this to sound mean, but CAN you handle it??? You said you've had all of those other things, what happened to them? Where are they now? You mustn't have been able to handle them, so what makes you think you can handle a snake that will reach 4+ feet.

cookieluver7
12-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Try doing a google search! That could help you more than I can. I don't know much about snakes!

zachrockman
12-18-2004, 02:44 PM
I got a corn istead its cool

Karen
12-18-2004, 03:58 PM
That's good. Especially because as people mentioned, ball python can be difficult pets to keep healthy and happy.

How old is your new snake? What is its name?

BitsyNaceyDog
12-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Congratulations!!! Corn snakes are great snakes, you'll enjoy him.

crested_gecko1991
12-20-2004, 10:48 AM
corn snakes are one of the best pet snakes

Harmanie
12-20-2004, 11:56 AM
I didn't know that corn snakes were the best snakes. Hey thats pretty cool. I kinda learned a bit about them last night from my friends pops. When he was in the army they told him about corn snake.

~they are black
~DO NOT RUN because these are the snakes that chase after you and they DO catch up

I was like,"They actually catch up to you"
And its true. They do chase after you.

I think snakes are really cool I used to have one and his name was Jake the snake. It was really a garden snake that lived in a pepsi bottle. We let him go though.