PDA

View Full Version : Fostering Question

robinh
12-14-2004, 12:41 PM
I may be fostering a yorkie for a short while. She was adopted out and the adopter is having MEGA (behavior problems, other animal jealousy, etc) troubles dealing with her. I don't think she was prepared for the breed itself. The rescue group feels it may be in the best interest to get the pup back and find the right family for her.

I know it will be a foster because I can't afford another dog. Five is expensive enough.

I want to do everything right or at least try to. Is there anything I should know?

Thanks for any suggestions.

aly
12-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Thats a BIG question. hehe :) I've been fostering dogs, cats, puppies, kittens, etc almost constantly for the past 5 years. I can tell you that it is an emotional rollercoaster. It takes a toll on your energy working with them training and behavior-wise. You will pull your hair out from stress worrying about their health or any issues they may have. You get very attached to them all and start making excuses as to why you can keep them. When it is time for them to move on to their new home, you will probably find yourself bawling your eyes out for a long time.

But its all worth it. To know that you made a difference and helped an animal through the transitional phase to a forever home is a wonderful feeling. When that happens, you will smile back on the memories, even the bad ones, and you'll move on to help the next little innocent soul who needs you :)

4 Dog Mother
12-14-2004, 04:19 PM
I can't help - the last dog I tried to foster is now a part of my crew and I agree six dogs are too many. Oh well......

pitc9
12-15-2004, 01:15 PM
I've never tried fostering.... I'm sure I'd fail at it!
(but that's one thing I would not mind failing at!)
:p

Kudos to you for wanting to foster, I know I am not strong enough to let go, that would be the #1 thing you need to prepare yourself for!!

robinh
12-15-2004, 01:42 PM
I admit I am a little worried about failing fostering, but SO says we can't keep her. (He's the big tough guy! Ha Ha) My guess is that he'll become more attached than I will.

Right now the adopter says one day "can't take it anymore" and the next "I can't let go". After receiving the call, I was all ready to go out last Saturday to pick her up, but she called me on Sunday and said she just couldn't. Its very frustrating for us and makes us worry about how she's handling the pups problems.

I'll keep you posted.

cali
12-15-2004, 01:51 PM
I admit I am a little worried about failing fostering, but SO says we can't keep her. (He's the big tough guy! Ha Ha) My guess is that he'll become more attached than I will.

lol I would not not worry bout your SO lol when my friends family fostered shadow, my friends dad said we have 1 month to find her a new home, that they are NOT keeping her, and thats final, guess who is his "baby girl" ? ;) lol

Pit Chick
12-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Rule #1 Do not let fosters sleep in your room

Rule #2 Ok, they can sleep in your room, but not on the bed

Rule #3 Ok, on the bed, but not under the sheets

Rule #4 Ok, under the sheets with head on the pillow

:D :D :D :D

That's the first mistake I made was to let a foster pup sleep in my room with me and my Pit Ginger after his brother died of Parvo. Then he broke his knee, we think by falling off the bed so his stay became a little extended until he healed. A couple of surgeries and months later he finally got to go to adoptions again. By now he was so attached to my dog and me to him it was impossible to let him go. I've learned my lesson, no fosters in my room, they all have their kennels in the living room. It will be hard, but try to distance yourself emotionally a little so you'll be able to let go when the time comes. If you don't bond as much to the foster it makes it easier for them to move on also. Of course there will be attachment, that's impossible to avoid in the fostering game, but just remember, if you keep all of the ones you foster, you won't have the room, time, whatever, to help another. Aly and I are what you could call "professional" fosters...unpaid and overworked ;) But I couldn't imagine not doing this no matter how stressy and emotional it can be.