PDA

View Full Version : What is a Tragus?

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-14-2004, 02:51 AM
A few people have asked me what a Tragus is (because I recently had mine pierced)......

so here is a picture :)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid150/ped9ad614af0312fc20defeb4d8dc2867/f5e9a813.jpg

binka_nugget
12-14-2004, 02:55 AM
It looks great! :D How's the healing going?

What gauge did you get it done at? I just ordered some 18 gauge CBR's. I'm hoping I can get it done during winter break.

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-14-2004, 03:16 AM

It's healing really well! I am still cleaning with an anti-bac soap and doing the saltwater soaks twice a day.

It's 14 gauge. Make sure you post pics when yours is done!! Are you getting both sides done? I did - and it was worth the effort - it only really bothered me for the first two or three nights ;)

Palomino21
12-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Ally Cat's Mommy,

I heard that getting your Tragus peirced can help with headaches. My early Child Development teacher got hers done because her doctor said it would help her migraines. She said she's been headache free for a year. Cool huh?

Annie

catnapper
12-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Thanks! I had no idea what that was! I am sooo out of the piercing loop. I have my ears double pierced and thats it.... but if they help with migraines? hmmmmmm....... I might be running to the piercer and getting it done! LOL

luckies4me
12-14-2004, 08:02 AM
It looks very nice. Just how painful is it though? I am considering getting it done but just pinching that area hurts!:o

molucass
12-14-2004, 12:00 PM
My sister had hers done a while back and when she woke up the next morning her pillow where she had been laying was covered in blood.
She said it didn't hurt when she was having it pierced though, there was just a lot of pressure.

Yours looks great though. :)

christa
12-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Ouch!

:eek:

I've seen that on people & it hurts me just to look at it.

I've had my upper ear pierced for 5 years and it STILL hurts when I lay on it at night!

I can only imagine how much THAT hurt!

sirrahved
12-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Okay... honestly... how much did it hurt? I've been thinking about getting it done but I passed out when I got my ears pierced before... and I know this will be more painful. What is the closest comparison as far as pain goes? Did you hear a loud pop in your ears?

shais_mom
12-14-2004, 12:53 PM
thank you for that!
I didn't know what it was either - I tried to look it up but there were no pics.
Looks good! :)

BitsyNaceyDog
12-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Ouch, That has to be painful. I got bit by a bird there once and I remember how much that hurt. It looks Awesome though.

binka_nugget
12-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
It's 14 gauge. Make sure you post pics when yours is done!! Are you getting both sides done? I did - and it was worth the effort - it only really bothered me for the first two or three nights ;)

YEOWCH! 14? My tragus is pretty darn small.. maybe I can get away with the 18 :p.

I'm considering getting both done. I need to do it during winter break cause during the school year, I have to wear headphones in piano every other day.

I'll def post pics when I get it done. :D

sirrahved
12-14-2004, 06:37 PM
I've been thinking about 20 gauge... it looks more feminine to me! Does this make me a wuss?

primabella
12-14-2004, 07:53 PM
It looks awesome! I love it. :D

Nomilynn
12-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by sirrahved
I've been thinking about 20 gauge... it looks more feminine to me! Does this make me a wuss?

I'm not sure they would peirce you at 20.. I think they would want to do something a little larger.. when I had my last peircings done they strongly recommended 14.. I can't remember why but there was a valid reason lol..

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by sirrahved

Nope, you are not a wuss LOL!!! The issue regarding the gauge is a bit more complex than just choosing which looks dainty or feminine (and I DO agree that the thinner gauge looks prettier) HOWEVER I was advised by my piercer (and this was confirmed by numerous sources on the internet), that there is a higher chance of certain piercings MIGRATING if you use too small a gauge, and the Tragus is one of these. Also a larger gauge is SAFER as when healed it offers more resistance to accidental tearing.

Re the PAIN, I can state honestly say it was NOT painful. It was uncomfortable, especially when the right ear was done, as the piercer had a bit of difficulty getting the ring through, so he was tugging a bit. The WORST part was the forceps squeezing, in fact with the second one, I didn't even realise the needle had gone through!

PM me if you want to read the whole story, and I will send you a link to it on the internet (Don't want to post the link here as it is a piercing site and some of the content is not suitable for children, and is not work-safe!)

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-15-2004, 07:44 AM
No more migraines :eek: :eek: . OMG, If that's true....
Oh well, no, I'm to much a whimp....cannot stand pain

Kfamr
12-15-2004, 08:25 AM
I think it looks really good on you, Julie!

My friend used to have hers but it got horribly infected. :(

popcornbird
12-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Wow! Normally, I can't stand piercings anywhere besides the normal ear piercings, but in all honesty Julie, I think that looks great! Maybe because its still your ear and not somewhere else. :p He he he. I've never seen anyone with a tragus piercing before. It does look nice.

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Wow! Normally, I can't stand piercings anywhere besides the normal ear piercings, but in all honesty Julie, I think that looks great! Maybe because its still your ear and not somewhere else. :p He he he. I've never seen anyone with a tragus piercing before. It does look nice.

AWWW thanks Pops!!! (((HUGS)))