PDA

View Full Version : Help for my Mom...

NoahsMommy
12-13-2004, 06:53 PM
My mom has a problem. :eek: Does anyone have any ideas or know of anyone that this has happened to?? (FYI, my mom was in Florida, beginning in October, to help with all the insurance claims from the hurricanes.)

She was working up until 10:00 p.m. on her last day in Florida, with a 9:00 a.m. flight the next morning out of Pensacola. After a horrible sixty day service in Florida, she couldn’t wait to get home. When she was about to board the plane, she was stopped by air officials because she had matches and a hair comb with a sharp point in her carry on luggage. (She had matches to light candles in her apartment...she was there for 60 days and bought bed linens, towels, a bathmat, candles and holiday decorations to make her place more homey.) She threw them in there last minute before leaving the apartment she was staying in the morning of her flight. Like most people, they don’t seem like a threat, but in this day and age, they unfortunately are a huge threat and considered undeclared dangerous/hazardous goods. She had thought when she told the officials why they were in her carry on, and to throw them away, she was free and clear.

This Saturday, she picked up a certified letter from a special agent with the FAA. She’s going to be investigated. After speaking with the author of the letter, a special agent, this is serious. She is being asked to send them copies of her baggage tags, a description of actions to be implemented to prevent further incidents of this type and a hazardous material training program. She’s going to be consulting a lawyer, but only has 15 days from Saturday to plead her case. She faces huge fines and who knows what else.

Does anyone have any advice for her? She's just like me, so you all know she's not a 'terrorist'. She's consulting her lawyer this week.

Poor thing. She's really worried. :(

gini
12-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Kelly, something just doesn't sound right here.

Not to say this cannot happen, but I certainly have never heard of anything like this before.

Does your Mom work for an insurance company or is she freelance? The insurance company she works for must have a legal department that could help her as well.

I just read that they have JUST banned butane lighters to be carried on flights..............but it didn't mention matches.

I guess I am seriously questioning the source of the letter and its authenticity. It sure sounds extreme.

If all is true, getting a lawyer sounds like the next important step.
I also think I might ask the airline that she traveled. But I don't think your Mom should turn over ANYTHING directly or have her contact them directly. Have her lawyer deal directly with them.

Sorry, I guess I am just suspicious in this day and age.

I hope all turns out alright for her.

Also, if it was such a serious offense, why didn't they do something about it right then, instead of contacting her now?

Cincy'sMom
12-13-2004, 07:57 PM
I have to agree with Gini...something doesn't seem to add up. Why wait until after she has flown to be so concerned?

If they want to use it as training for their employees, that is one thing...but why the crimanls chagres? Doesn't make much sense to me!

Best wishes to your mom. I hope she is able to get this cleared up relatively easily.

captain
12-13-2004, 09:15 PM
I too agree with Gini.

Perhaps get a lawyer to phone the number listed on the letter, and do some checking.

Send them NOTHING! I mean, they told her to throw away the items, and she did. If they had taken them and kept them with her name, etc STRAIGHT AWAY, I would be concerned. But they didn't.

Doesn't sound right!

Tonya
12-13-2004, 10:58 PM
That is insane! I am sure that your mother isn't the only person that has made that kind of mistake. I would like to think that they have to take all things seriously sp they are investigating her, but that it'll be dismissed. I wish her well.

kimlovescats
12-14-2004, 12:59 AM
Glad I never fly ... no telling what trouble I would get into, because I have no idea of the rules.... well other than guns, and knives and drugs .... of course!:rolleyes: Gosh, Kelly this sounds very EXTREME to me too .... I hope she can get her company to help her out ... she should NOT have to be going through this bull!:rolleyes:

Cookiebaker
12-14-2004, 06:37 AM
I agree, too, that this sounds a bit extreme. Because every day, THOUSANDS of people fly, and everyday, people have items they didn't realize were no-no's. My understanding is that they either throw all the things away or sell them for profit :mad: But I don't think they keep track, and then investigate/interrogate. I would be very cautious.

ramanth
12-14-2004, 08:27 AM
YIKES! I don't have any advice and I hope that whole fiasco can be sorted out.

My parents and some friends just got back from Hawaii. On the plane trip out, Dawn was told her bag was too heavy. So she grabbed some stuff out of it and tossed it into her carry-on.

Unfortunately she grabbed her kit that had scissors in it. When they went thru security, they saw the scissors in her bag and dumped it out and she was 'stripped' searched.

They let her board the plane but they confinscated the scissors.

If she receives a letter...I'll let you know.

pitc9
12-14-2004, 08:35 AM
OMG!! I hope everything turns out okay!
I can only imagine how worried and scared she has to be!!

Laura's Babies
12-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Gee whiz! I have to fly now and then to catch a boat far away... Reckon I will tell the company NO MORE FLYING from now on! Maybe all we should carry is our ID and food money in our pockets?

That does seem awfully extreem to me. It is like locking the barn door AFTER the horse has gotten out! WHAT are they THINKING?

Hay STUPID, you investigate the terriost BEFORE they fly, NOT after!! (not meaning your Mom but it makes you wonder how many they are LETTING fly and investigate later) Geez, this is SOoooooo stupid! Your poor Mom!

Logan
12-14-2004, 08:41 AM
I'm not believing this, Kelly. And who keeps their baggage tags once their baggage has been retrieved??? I hope you will keep us posted on what happens. I've never heard of anything so crazy. What airport was she in when this happened, Orlando?

Cataholic
12-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Kelly,
Make sure she contacts an attorney that might have a slight clue as to what is involved here....I can tell you, this isn't covered in any law school class I took.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-14-2004, 09:58 AM
To me it all seems quite extreme too, and I agree, who keeps baggage tags? I would definitely consult a lawyer, but I would also be very upfront about everything. She has nothing to hide and once they start this "investigation" they will find that out and realize what idiots they've been. My question is, why are they wasting "our" hard earned tax money on somebody like your mother when there are real terrorists out there? :rolleyes:

Good luck to her.

NoahsMommy
12-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Thank you all for your advice. I called my mom after reading here and told her to call and meet with her lawyer today and to put it in his hands.

She was waiting on State Farm (she's a claim rep for them) and I wont say they're dragging their feet, but she's been told management is in a 4 day meeting this week. Kind of annoying when she only has 15 days from Saturday. And, with a large company like SF, you'd think they'd want to get this figured out. If she was a terrorist, that'd be pretty bad for business, wouldn't you think??

P.S. She was flying from the Pensacola, FL airport to Chicago for a connecting flight to Los Angeles.

gini
12-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Kelly - if State Farm knew that THEIR name might be badgered around as harboring a terrorist...............or something like this might hit the newspapers......you cannot believe how fast MANAGEMENT could get out of their meeting.

There is more going on here than meets the eye and I think your Mom is just the scapegoat. Maybe someone in Pensacola didn't get the amount of money from a claim that they wanted............and this is their revenge.

christa
12-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Wow, this would make me soooooo mad!!!

I think about everything this country has been through and on one hand, I'm glad that they are searching thoroughly, BUT to do a full fledged investigation of your mother who had some matches & a comb in her possession . . . I'm speechless. I'd understand if they asked her not to take those things on board, and leave it at that . . . but the investigation & fines are sooooo wrong!!!

I'd definitely suggest that she get a lawyer & fight this! I don't see how they can do anything to her . . . it might take an investigation for them to figure it out . . . and your poor momma in the meantime . . . shew, I'm so sorry that she has to go through this!

We'll all be thinking about her & praying that this goes away SOON!

Give her {{{Hugs}}} from everyone here at PT!!!

wolflady
12-14-2004, 11:05 AM
Yikes! I just saw this thread and I just couldn't believe it. I agree with everyone that something just doesn't add up. I'm sorry, but this is just too extreme for something like that. Heck, my poor parents brought back a bag from Indiana for me, and I had completely forgotten that my camping knife was in the bag. Well, imagine my parent's embarassment when they found out about it at the airport! They had to take it out, wrap it up and ship it separately. Of course, this was pre 9-11...I think...but still.
This is just going too far...they should be focusing on people who are REALLY suspicious! :rolleyes:

Let us know what's going on!
**hugs**
Karen

Edwina's Secretary
12-14-2004, 11:08 AM
I fly frequently and this doesn't sound right to me either. Has she verified that the "special agent" is in fact such and not an extortionist? How did they get her name and address? I have had mace confiscated and they didn't even ask my name. I saw a guy get something taken just last week. They took it and that was that.

She needs to call the FAA...and not just the number on the letter and ask if this is standard. I would also call my congressperson's office and tell them the story.

If this is someone preying on travelers they should be dealt with.

(Do you realize how many smokers carry matches? And if all of them were treated this way????)

Randi
12-14-2004, 11:57 AM
My first thought was: This is a joke!! :eek:

I have never ever heard anything so ridiculous!! If FAA have indeed sent a letter like you described, I'd advise your mom to call them and talk to someone "higher up" - or as Sara suggests, her congressperson's office. Gini's suggestion was quite good too. Get the media on to them!!

I once had a pair of scissors in my carry-on, and of course they spotted it - this was not long after 9/11. I was asked to remove it and either trash it or go down and check it in seperately. This was in Copenhagen airport.

NoahsMommy
12-14-2004, 12:15 PM
As per your wonderful advice, I found and emailed my mom the numbers for the US FAA in Florida and California as well as the Los Angeles FBI.

The longer I think about this and the more I'm searching the FAA site, I feel there's something fishy going on here, too.

gini
12-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Kelly, good for you! If someone is using the FAA as a way to get back at State Farm then this needs to be investigated immediately and proper actions taken.

The more pro-active you are the quicker you will have positive results.

lynnestankard
12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
It sounds so fishy to me Kelly. Don's often had lighters taken off him when travelling and I've had embroidery scissors taken - a friend even had a tiny pack of sewing needles taken from her.
None of us ever heard another thing about it.
I'm sure someone's up to no good. It just doesn't ring true.

Lynne

Edwina's Secretary
12-14-2004, 02:06 PM
This is really bothering me so I did a little research. FAA is NOT the government agency responsible for Airport safety. It is the Transportation Safety Administration - TSA now a part of Homeland Security. If the letter is from the FAA...well....it is really bogus. They worry about the safety of the plane and the pilots -- not security.

gini
12-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Sara, well done!

This is really bugging me as well. I just hate to think of Kelly's Mom having to hire and pay for an attorney due to this.

If she is an agent for State Farm, then they need to go directly to bat for her.

Whoever is responsible for this bogus letter needs to be dealt with a severely.

NoahsMommy
12-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Sara! I told my mom that as well. It makes sense being as I couldn't find anything that remotely resembled this on the FAA website.

The numbers I found for the local FAA were general information lines, so I found the contact numbers for the Southern Region Headquarters, with names and phone numbers for the Security & Hazardous Materials Division Investigations Section. May as well go straight to the source.

In the mean time, State Farm is not offering any assistance other than being willing to proof read her response. This keeps getting better for her. She's worked for them for over 35 years...

gini
12-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Kelly, if you feel that your Mom would need some letters sent.........I am sure we could whip up a good campaign right here on Pet Talk.

But of course, we would let YOUR MOM......"PROOF READ" THE LETTERS!

State Farm is falling all over themselves to help your Mom, aren't they?

Sorry for the sarcasim.........................

LoudLou
12-15-2004, 01:09 AM
Kelly,
Sorry about the hassle your Mom is going through. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Maybe we should all fly Nude...;)

Cinder & Smoke
12-15-2004, 02:10 AM
:(

Sounds *phisshie* and like a Gross Case of OVER-Kill -
but remember -
She's dealing with "The Government"! :rolleyes:

Logical & Rational Thinking is not always part of their agenda!

"she picked up a certified letter from a special agent with the FAA.
After speaking with the author of the letter, a special agent, this is serious."

FAA / TSA - Both prolly have some interest in terrorist activities.
FAA *used* to do it;
The TSA is the NEW Gang on the block and TSA people are
the ones *groping passengers* :mad: and tearing apart luggage.

1) Make a COPY of the notification letter and envelope to
use - LOCK UP the originals and don't give them up!

2) WHERE is the "Special Agent's" OFFICE??
Is he FAA - FBI - TSA??

3) Use a Phone Book to look up his Agency -
then CALL a published number for that Agency and ask them to
VERIFY he IS an Agent for that Agency.
(DON'T rely on phone numbers ON the Letter.)

4) Has Mom talked to her State Farm supervisor?
Seems very lame that State Farm isn't more interested in
assisting a 35 year employee - who was on COMPANY business! :mad:

"She is being asked to send them copies of her baggage tags,
a description of actions to be implemented to prevent further incidents
of this type and a hazardous material training program.
She faces huge fines and who knows what else."

THIS part sounds like it came from a Grade-B movie!

She's going to be consulting a lawyer, but only has
15 days from Saturday to plead her case.

Not sure I'd want to spend a lot of money on an Attorney till
she VERIVIES this is really a proper Governmental Investigation.

Your Tax Dollars at ? Work ? - Harrassing You!

/s/ :mad: Phred

NoahsMommy
12-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Uppydate:

My mom has been given an extension on this matter. She has until the end of January to "state her case" so to speak.

She's meeting with her lawyer in early January, I think she just wants to get through the holidays.

Thanks for your advice everyone. :)