PDA

View Full Version : Before You Get That Nose Ring....

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Kimberly Cloutier alleged that her employer, Costco Wholesale Corp., failed to offer her a reasonable accommodation after she alerted it to a conflict between the "no facial jewelry" provision of its dress code and her religious practice as a member of the Church of Body Modification. She argued that this failure amounted to religious discrimination in violation of Title VII. The district court granted summary judgment for Costco, concluding that Costco reasonably accommodated Cloutier by offering to reinstate her if she either covered her facial piercing with a band-aid or replaced it with a clear retainer. The 1 st Circuit affirmed, but on a different basis. It held that Costco had no duty to accommodate Cloutier because it could not do so without undue hardship.

The Church of Body Modification! She should at least get points for creativity!

ramanth
12-13-2004, 01:27 PM
When I worked at a hometown grocery store, employees with eyebrow piercings had to cover them with a bandaid.

Customers actually complained that they felt the bandaid looked gaudy or promoted uncleanliness (a lot of employees had piercings hence lots of bandaids *laughs*). So the boss changed the rule.

No one ever complained about seeing a piercing on the person ringing them up or bagging their groceries.

As long as an employee isn't flashing a nipple ring, I don't see what the big deal is.

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-13-2004, 02:22 PM
It's not exactly "facial" but when I went for a job interview earlier this week I wore my hair down to cover my Tragi piercings. (No point freaking people out - when they get used to me and appreciate how hard I work, they probably won't think as much of it!)

The Church of Body Modification! Indeed!!!;)

mooshoosmama
12-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Church of Body Modification :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:

Oh PUHLEEEEEEEZE!!!!!!!!

LoudLou
12-13-2004, 04:28 PM
FYI or for your amusement

http://www.churchofbodmod.com/

Tonya
12-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Hahaha, I give her an A for effort.

Maya & Inka's mommy