PDA

View Full Version : My poor kitties!

Catsnclay
12-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Our niece and her family came to visit us over the weekend. From the moment they arrived all 3 cats ran and hid. Joel, their 5 year old was a monster :mad: to say the least.

Fluffy finally did come out and only because he was hungary. Joel ran up to him and started teasing him. I nicely asked him to stop, the parents didn't say anything. Then Lucky came out, and Joel ran and did the same thing. Once again I asked him to stop, but he didn't. This time his mom said something.

Yoshi, poor baby, wouldn't come out at all. He was "trapped" under the Christmas tree skirt all night long. He even hissed at me when I tried to get him to come out.

As much as I love my niece, I loathe the way she is bringing up her children. She doesn't feed them regular meals, says Joel won't eat them, but everytime you turn around she is feeding him candy, coke or things with sugar!! :eek: He is only 5 years old and has already needed dental work on his BABY teeth!! He is undersized for his age and a real P-I-T-A to be honest with you, but yet she doesn't see this. They just had a baby, I sure hope she doesn't bring this one up that way! Oh, and they also have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 hampsters, and 2 fish....so you would think the kid would know how to act around animals! :mad:

After they left yesterday, I let Yoshi stay where he was (while we were out for breakfast he & Lucky went into their room and were caught under the bed) for a while, then went in and it took me 20 minutes to coax him out. He is still acting strange today! My poor babies!! :rolleyes:

PepperRSM
12-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Poor kitties :(
I can relate. My cousins are brats so whenever they come over, it is real chaos. They haven't come over since we got Persephone, but we can only imagine what it will be like, and we are dreading it. :o:rolleyes: It's hard when there's situations like that because you can't really go up to the parents and say, "I don't like how you're raising your kid(s)", especially if it's family. So, I sympathise and hope things end up better the next time they come over.

catnapper
12-12-2004, 02:37 PM
my cats give your ats sympathy. My neices and nephews come over acting much the same way. They torment the poor cats. I keep saying "no, the cats don't like to be held that way" or "the kittens are afraid of kids, so you have to be real quiet and still if you want them to come to you." And nope... it falls on deaf ears and they thunder through the room cornering the cats. Then the cats escape and they search the house top to bottom trying to find them. All the while their mom (my SIL) sits on the couch and never says a peep to them. But then again, she thnks its funny when her kids comes up to a person and announces whether they have a penis or not. The things people elt their kids do! :mad:

Last time my SIL visited, I left the room and took all 4 cats with me. I locked us in my bedroom until they were gone. I blatantly told them the noise was too much for me, and that I was leaving the livingroom until they left the hosue. I'm amazed I got away with being so boldy rude! :eek:

catcrazylady
12-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Poor babies! We can relate here too. Mine run and hide from everyone anyway but when there are small children around it is even worse. Fortunately I have mostly animal loving family and the children are made to behave around my braver cats. The one SIL who doesn't share my feelings doesn't come to my house at all. She knows that I will jump all over her kids so she just stays away and that is fine with me!
I'm sorry you had to go through that. It's not only hard on the cats but you too. You can't help but feel sorry for them and worry about them when they are hiding. I always wonder if they are hungry or need to use the litter box and I get just as stressed as they do. I hope everyone is settled back into their routine now.

LoudLou
12-12-2004, 06:48 PM
My husband and I don't have family with children, but we do have friends that do... My husband always lets them and their parents know... MY HOUSE MY RULES. We have never offended anyone. We work from home and he once told a client not to come to the house anymore, as he would really upset Garbonzo Bean. If you come to our home and it upsets the Furry Children, he has NO problem asking them to leave.

... So happy I married that man! ;)

Don Juan's mom
12-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Too bad. The closest Don Juan has come to contact with a brat was earlier this year when my sister visited with her family. Her younger child was about to turn 2 at the time.... and he's a boy :rolleyes: . They live with two cats, a senior tabby and a young tuxedo hellraiser.

When they first arrived, I wanted to keep an eye on things, as Don Juan isn't used to young children. [Hang on. Don Juan is dangling his tail in front of the screen again. :D ] My nephew chased Don Juan around the kitchen table a bit. Then, Don Juan took refuge in the closet in my bedroom (also a favorite sleeping spot), and the boy didn't pursue the matter.

Actually, I feel really sorry for that PITA "Joel." :( I wouldn't have said it when *I* was 5 ;) , but kids that age need structure in their lives. And if his mom won't give him healthy snacks (i.e. fruit slices, low-fat crackers), he'll never develop a taste for the stuff. Not to mention all the other health problems he could develop down the line from all the sweet stuff.

Uh-oh. I've gotten preachy. BIG DISCLAIMER I don't have any *human* kids. But I am the oldest of 9, and get chapter and verse on child-rearing from my sibs.

Liz

CalliesMom
12-12-2004, 10:44 PM
I can totally relate, however. My cats are terrified of rug rats..it might be all the screaming and chasing they have endured but between my nephew and my 4 year old sister-in-law I can understand. I can't stand when they come to visit, but I lock the cats in the our bedroom and absolutely refuse to let them play with them.
My nephew, also 4, has 3 cats in their house and he's allowed to torture one of them in particular. Given she's not a very sweet cat and scratches him whenever she can LOL, but I would if I was getting hit and swatted at with bats and other such toys :mad: . My brother always yells at me when I tell him to leave the animals alone and I hear "they're just animals" constantly. Great message to be sending your kids.
My husband's sister is just as awful and they had to get rid of what? 7 cats because she treated them so poorly. Jason's mom got 5 cats in about a two month period and the little girl would throw them off the balcony, attempt to gouge out their eyes, hold them in horrible positions (and they were declawed so had no real means of defense). They took those 5 to the pound because his sister not only treated them badly but was also allergic (again, no attempt to find them a home..just dumped them at the pound). About six months later, I come to visit and they have two new kittens and again she's horrible to them. They, of course, no longer have the cats and am not sure what has happened to them. :mad: :mad: Everytime it is brought up, my husband and I get in a fight so I have to quit asking about what happened to these cats and he refuses to tell me the truth.
I would have taken those poor kitties but live in AL while his family lives in CA. :mad: :(

Laura's Babies
12-12-2004, 11:14 PM
MY HOUSE, MY RULES too and rule # 1 is my cats have feelings and I will NOT allow mine to be terriorized by anyone! Usually, if it is company they don't know, they will just retire to my bedroom anyway.

Main rule at my house is their kennels is their "safe place" and no one allowed...period. (not open for discussion, argueing or debate!!!!!) HANDS off and back away!

Barbara
12-13-2004, 04:56 AM
So glad it was only one afternoon and the cats found some hiding holes:)

When children are here, Filou usually hides upstairs;)

sirrahbed
12-13-2004, 08:13 AM
I am sorry to hear this! My kitties have never seen children that I know of - only baby Misha and her mom is already teaching her to respect animals. I don't know HOW I would react to parents with children like that because my cats are used to a very calm house! I think I would probably close them up in a room because I do bot ever want them to be afraid of people!

catmandu
12-13-2004, 10:44 AM
That is one,of the few things,that I get angry,about,when Children misbehave,and The Paents sit there,and do nothing,thus ensuring,that thier children,will grow up,to be Absolute Pains,in the Neck.

Catsnclay
12-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Don Juan's mom
Uh-oh. I've gotten preachy. BIG DISCLAIMER I don't have any *human* kids. But I am the oldest of 9, and get chapter and verse on child-rearing from my sibs.

Liz

I find this funny, Tim & I chose not to have any children either (Monster children are not my style) and I've been "warned" by many not to tell people how to rasie children if you have none that you are raising yourself.

Yoshi had never been around young children before, so I guess this was a learning experience for all of us.

Footnote: After cleaning up we discovered a few Christmas ornaments broken and shoved under the couch & bed. Good thing we found this before the cats! :mad: I know this wasn't the doing of the cats, our tree is decorated and the bottom 3 branches are NOT!! So it had to come from a taller person - child. :rolleyes:

I like that My House, My Rules.....think that will be in place for the future. Most of our friends & family already know the few rules that we have and adhear to them, guess when my young guests come over we will have to reinstate them!! Luckily we don't have very many friends with young children!