PDA

View Full Version : Laser pointers

PJ's Mom
06-04-2001, 02:19 PM
I've found that a simple laser pointer is a great way to exercise dogs and cats. They go crazy trying to catch up to the little red dot on the floor, or in the backyard at night. Just be sure you don't shine it directly in their eyes, as blindness may occur. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Daisy's Mom
06-04-2001, 09:45 PM
My Basset Hound Daisy does that too. It's a great way to make her come inside at night. Just have her follow http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif The poor thing could chase it for hours. She just doesn't understand!

sloth
06-23-2001, 01:36 PM
My mom LETS me play with P.J. and the laser boy I am so lucky

Eudora
06-30-2001, 10:03 AM
Isn't that a little mean? What do they do when they relaise that it isn't a solid thingy? Just stop cos they're tired? :)

Eudora
06-30-2001, 10:04 AM
oops, I made a mistake again!! realize not relaise like I typed just now. Very sorry evryone.

boxerluver
07-02-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Eudora:
<STRONG>Isn't that a little mean? What do they do when they relaise that it isn't a solid thingy? Just stop cos they're tired? :)</STRONG>

Actually I don't think P.J. cares if it is solid or not, he just likes to try to keep up with it while he is chasing it. Sometimes if he has been playing a while he slows down cause he is really tired so we just show him that we are putting it up and he goes and lays down or something.

Daisy's Mom
07-04-2001, 12:43 AM
Daisy thinks of it as a game. She doesn't think we are being mean at all. She just loves to play chase, and this little red "thing" never tires of playing with her. She loves it!

Eudora
07-04-2001, 09:35 AM
Hmmmm.... But I tried that with my friend's dog at her b'dae party(for the dog!) and the dog, Brownie quickly figured out that I was moving the 'thingy' and she actually jumped up and took it from my hand! i wonder what happened in that mind of hers... :confused:

Daisy's Mom
07-04-2001, 11:10 PM
Hehe well Daisy never figures it out and I highly doubt she ever will! ;)

Eudora
07-09-2001, 09:45 AM
hey... dogs have more grey matter than we credit them with! :)

lizbud
07-11-2001, 09:55 PM
Eudora, I think I know what you meant by your first comment. This toy should not be used by young children who don't know the
'limits' of the particular animals.My dog(in good health) has a high prey drive and would
chase it till he dropped.(Not a good thing for him)Think it's ok for cats as they will
stop when they figure it out.

Eudora
07-13-2001, 09:17 AM
Yeah... the cat might get angry and scratch the kid. :)

Login0987643
07-21-2001, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Eudora:
<STRONG>oops, I made a mistake again!! realize not relaise like I typed just now. Very sorry evryone.</STRONG>

null (http://null) :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :p :confused: :o ;) null

Eudora
07-22-2001, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Bold4567:
<STRONG>

null (http://null) :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :p :confused: :o ;) null</STRONG>

Um.. run that by me again??

cr7clark
07-23-2001, 03:12 PM
I use a laser pointer to exercise Bo, my Manx cat. She loves it, and when she's tired of playing, she just quits and starts grooming herself. I don't shine the thing in her eyes, and it seems to do her no harm.
:)

Eudora
09-06-2001, 10:38 PM
well, I tested the laser pointer on Tanya(my Golden Retriever) and she ignored it!

zippy-kat
09-06-2001, 11:33 PM
Sara's TERRIFIED of the light from a flashlight...hate to know what she'd think of a laserpointer! lol

That's my big brave boxer! :D

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

margaret
09-10-2001, 05:09 PM
How much do laser pointers cost? Can you just get them at office supply stores?

:cool:

thelmalu99
09-17-2001, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I got that one from Petco for my boys and they go BANANAS over it.
I think that they have already learned to associate the clinking sound of the keychain ring with the red dot. Anytime I pick the thing up and they hear that sound, they immediately start looking all around for the dot. Too cute.

dababy
09-22-2001, 12:54 PM
:D Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm had this account for a long time, just forgot about it...

Anyway, my boxer/rhodesian ridgeback loves lasers. He knows that it's something in my hand, but he doesnt seem to care. :rolleyes:

Alothough, I agree. Some people just dont get it. I know of a person who almost ran their 15 year old cocker spaniel mix to death. They had hard wood floors and the poor thing would just run and fall. (she had bad arthritis.) :mad: People like that shouldnt be allowed to have pets.

At least that's my opinon.

sweet_stormy
03-10-2002, 01:42 PM
My cats Smokey and Stormy don't play with the laser light I got for them anymore. They got bored of it. What can I do? Stormy is sssssssoooooooooo picky. She will only play with curtain toys. Smokey is the same way. What can I do?:confused: :(

Former User
03-10-2002, 01:43 PM
I guess you better get another toy then :D

sweet_stormy
03-10-2002, 01:51 PM
How would I know if they will play with it or not? I don't like to spend money on cat toys if they aren't going to play with them.:confused: I get mad when after I buy a toy for them that they don't play with.:mad: I know its not their fault.

Former User
03-10-2002, 01:56 PM
well, try some simple toys, like a piece of a string, old pair of socks rolled as a ball... go for the cat section and then cat games, there's talk about cat toys, hope you get ideas from there! Some toys won't cost a thing, like that piece of string! Casper and Kitty have few pieces of strings, and they just go mad while playing with them, and they didn't cost anything, they we're from my old pants! :)

gini
03-10-2002, 02:24 PM
I have always found that my kitties loved the simple things to play with. Store bought items turned out to be a waste of money.

My favorite story is of Sugar (R/B) who received a darling mouse from friends at Christmas. He dutifully played with it in front of them - and they were so pleased. They left, and he never, ever touched it again. It always made me laugh.

Rascal loves the laser pointer - but is pretty wise and knows that it is me..........he stares right into my hand - but he goes along with it and will run the length of the house as I point the way for him.

Pencils were something that I could not keep on a desk. Patches used to push every pen or pencil right off of my desk unless I put it in a jar. And just try to wrap a present with some ribbon.........

I would tape a piece to a table and it would drive my kitties into a frenzy trying to get it down.

Blackfly
03-24-2002, 02:54 PM
Well, i certainly agree that the laser is great for the pets, i got two for my cat Bisk, she loves it, when she hears the chain on the end she comes running, she definitely knows its from the thing in my hand because if she loses sight of the little dot, she looks at my hand and meows :)
And as for my little hedgie Puck, he doesnt like chasing the dot, but he likes to run after Bisk :D

Lachesis
04-12-2002, 04:25 PM
Cats love love loooove it.

Found out my sisters puppy does too :D

Ann
04-13-2002, 10:35 AM
My boyfriend brought a laser over one time and Ollie loves it!!! He really goes crazy when I play with him *laughs* And if you point it at his body (NOT his eyes of course, but like his stomach or paw) he will try bite it but then he looks all confused when he just gets his own fur in his mouth.

It's wierd too, cause I lost the laser and couldn't find it for a good two months or so, and then when I did find it, as soon as Ollie saw it he started meowing real loud and jumping up and down, so he obviously knows where the red dot is coming from and who is doing. And it's amazing he recognized it after such a long time...

Tina (my doggie) ignores it completely though.

04-13-2002, 11:54 PM
Not all dogs can see the spectrum of light in a laser pointer - you catch me?

sweet_stormy
04-14-2002, 07:51 AM
Ya if they are blind then they cant see the little laser light or if they are color blind then they wouldnt be able to see it.

04-22-2002, 01:42 PM
today I finally found a shop where I could bye a laser-pointer !!:D

I tried it on Sydney :eek:
Ohohoh , I almost choked from laughing !!! he turned around like mad and even tried to climb a wall !!!:D :D
You should have seen face when I turned of the light !!
:confused: :confused: where is that damned thing gone to ????:confused: :confused: ;)

Lachesis
04-22-2002, 02:30 PM
I wanna see some photos Lut!!!

Rottieluver45
06-27-2002, 09:14 PM
I have a pic of P.J. with the laser in his mouth here it is...

http://www.geocities.com/crazeegyrl14/P0001485.jpg

He`s so cute!!!

PJ's Mom
06-29-2002, 12:47 PM
It doesn' work, rottie. Try again. ;)

PJ's Mom
06-29-2002, 11:39 PM
Ok, it works now. :D :D

lovemymaltese
07-02-2002, 03:18 PM
laser pointers are so much fun, I have seen some clips on the animal planet where people are confusing their pets using laser pointers, what a hoot!

Aspen and Misty
07-03-2002, 02:35 PM
I am goign to have to buy one for my 2 dogs and 5 cats. They are going to love it!