PDA

View Full Version : Doggie labor, whelping question

goldmember
12-11-2004, 11:51 PM
My Golden Retriever is ready to go into labor any time and my concern is that the materials I have read indicate that the puppies require an enviroment of an 80 to 90 degree temperature, the mom has not tolerated temperatures greater than 70 degrees. I have a whelping box and plenty of blankets, if the mom is in the box with her puppies, is her body heat plus the blankets sufficient enough to keep the puppies warm. I am just uneasy for the moms comfort but concerned for the puppies survival.

Any additional advice welcome, as this is my first whelping experience. Thank you in advance.

Wolffffman
12-12-2004, 12:02 AM
That would be fine......Kitana was in a similar situation when she was born but room temp, blankets and mom's body heat worked very well

Wolffffman
12-12-2004, 01:45 AM
let us know how it goes.....and get pics if you can

goldmember
12-12-2004, 02:38 AM
so far nothing, her temp has maintained 98.6 for about 4 hours, so..........wait and see. I try putting her in her whelping box, but she won't stay in there with out me, so she lays in the living area with the whole family. I will definitely take photos. How do I put them on this forum, or can I just have a link to the pictures?

vinjashira
12-12-2004, 02:42 AM
hope everything goes ok! :)
please do attach the pics or the link.

goldmember
12-12-2004, 02:34 PM
When the temperature drops below 98 is that considered normal and how low can the temp drop and still be considered normal?

Within the last 14 hours she has been panting for 20 minutes, than lying down for 20 and than getting up and panting some more. Are these panting episodes, could that be a contraction she is having?

Thanks

LorraineO
12-12-2004, 03:20 PM
I would assume so,, but not having exp with whelping,, I would call my Vets.... BEST place to ask thats for sure!!

LuvGold00
12-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Hope I'm not too late,

As the puppies are being born, see if you can get a basket or something with a heating pad in it, put a blanket over the heating pad and keep the temp on MED or LOW, not too hot. Your Golden might need your help! One of my girls always likes me to help her whelp, the other can mostly do it on her own.

If you have ANY problems or anything feel free to email or Instant Message me, I have alot of experience in whelping, its not always easy.

Kara

AOL/AIM Instant Message: SunKissedGoldens

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goldmember
12-12-2004, 10:05 PM
I added you to my aol buddy list. I appreciate the advice and the help. I have plenty of questions. I think she will do fine, but I have read to much info about things going wrong, thats all.

Just waiting still. Her temp has been 97.6 all day. Is she in pre- labor ? Oh and another concern is that she is not able to reach her back end she is so big. :confused:

bckrazy
12-12-2004, 10:12 PM
:) best of luck with your Golden and her babies! Kara is the best person here to ask.. also definately keep in touch with your vet, as I'm sure you have done. we would *love* to see pics of the mom and babies! I hope they all turn out very healthy and happy

molucass
12-13-2004, 01:47 AM
How is your dog doing?

LuvGold00
12-13-2004, 06:35 AM
After her temp drops its usually within the next 24 hours, I wouldn't leave the house. He size won't matter, she should know what to do. How old is she, you would only have to worry if she was under 2 years old, when they are young some of them might not know what to do with a puppy.

Glad to hear you read up on whelping, keep in touch!

goldmember
12-13-2004, 09:29 AM
:confused:

I stayed up all night with her with the thoughts it was time, sitll nothing. She's just panting and panting and wants to go outside every hour it seems. I have to go to work now and she will be alone for about 4 hours, :( . I want to call in for work, but it still might be a waiting game and than I will miss work the day she has them. My job is not too steady currently only becuase I missed 2 days last week for my son being sick.

What shall I do... put her in her whelping box, sides up so she cannot get out, or let her have access to the whole house?

I just was hoping she had them already, so It wouldn't come to this.

goldmember
12-13-2004, 09:35 AM
her temp is still way down, it has been as low as 94 is that normal? It currently is at 98.2 so it should be anytime. We have been anticipating since Saturday night. Any thoughts please.

goldmember
12-13-2004, 01:04 PM
One so far, a female. Nice and healthy. 1lb - 0.4 oz.

She has green coloring all over her bottom area, is this normal??

My Peanuts
12-13-2004, 01:10 PM
OMG! she is having them now! I don't know anything about welping puppies. Good luck and let us know if momma and babies are ok. Please post pics of the new family if you can. :)

goldmember
12-13-2004, 01:14 PM
is here! Not sure the sex yet, she is just a Great Momma, I am so proud. They are having breakfast. Yahoo!

Cincy'sMom
12-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Glad things are going well!!

My Peanuts
12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
How's everything going? I hope momma and babies are doing well. :)

LuvGold00
12-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Just got home from work, yes the green coloring is normal.... glad she is doing well!!!

Let me know if you run into a problem.... GOOD LUCK!

goldmember
12-13-2004, 03:43 PM
2 males, 2 females. Three look like dad and one looks like mom so far, so we should have at least 3 more possibley or more.

Tara, I added you to my buddy list, are you logged on? That would be great to be able to IM you if I have any problems. I know the last pups are usually the hardest and momma is exhausted by this time.

Thanks for your support, when they all come out, I'll get the pics up.:) :)

LuvGold00
12-13-2004, 05:00 PM
I just logged on, I will leave AOL open. Just send me an IM... Did you have your female ultrasound or xrayed to know how many you are expecting?

goldmember
12-13-2004, 09:08 PM
We took her to the Vet since it was over 3 hours since her last pup. He took x-rays and there are 4 more inside of her. The Dr let us know our options, and we went home. i didn't want to give her the inducement drug and see if it works, cause if it didn't it would be an automatic c-section. If she can't deliver them on her own in about 8 to 10 hours, than she gets a c-section.

Please if anyone has any experience with long labor and anything I can try to help her push those pups out, please let me know. I do not want her to have a c-section, thats horrible after she has already went through so much.

Gotta go, have to go give Goldie a Pep talk.

goldmember
12-14-2004, 04:55 AM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cr_cutter/album?.dir=9bc2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cr_cutter/my_photos

vinjashira
12-14-2004, 05:06 AM
it's unaccesible :(

goldmember
12-14-2004, 05:31 AM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cr_cutter/album?.dir=/9bc2

vinjashira
12-14-2004, 05:34 AM
so sweet :D

Cincy'sMom
12-14-2004, 07:59 AM
If they aren't just the sweetest little things!!!

How are things going? Did she have the rest of the puppies yet?

luckies4me
12-14-2004, 08:51 AM
OMG they are so adorable! Thanks for posting photos! :D

goldmember
12-14-2004, 12:48 PM
the 3 out of the four were DOA. The good news is that they all did come out and Goldie doesn't have to go for a c-section. She is doing well, content and happy with the 6 beautiful healthy sweet smelling pups.

Thank you to all.

My Peanuts
12-14-2004, 01:06 PM
The puppies are so cute! I'm glad mommy and the babies are doing well :D

Tonya
12-14-2004, 03:46 PM
How precious! I hope that you keep posting pictures. I am looking forward to watching the puppies grow. I am glad that things went well. I also want to thank you for doing your research for her. I really respect that, it shows that you care for your dog.

LuvGold00
12-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Super! They look nice and big, make sure you let me know if you have ANY more questions!!!

Kara

LorraineO
12-14-2004, 04:49 PM
congrats lovley lil babes!!!!!

Wolffffman
12-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Congrats!!!!! They are adorable :D :D

bckrazy
12-14-2004, 09:20 PM
awwww :)! congrats to you and Goldie! the puppies are gorgeous, and look very healthy! :( sorry about the three stillborn pups, but its great that you got 6 beautiful babies ^_^. yes, please please continue posting pics and updates on their progress, we would all love to know!

goldmember
12-15-2004, 12:20 AM
I will continue adding pics to my yahoo photos and will add a link when I do. I thank all of you for your sincere congrats and thank you Tonya for the nice compliment- you are right, I care very much for them. I just made a graph for the pups to log there daily weight.

Goldie was the talk of the office today at my work. I felt like a Grandma. Geesh- I sure CAN wait til I really am one ( I have a 10 and 6 yr old boys)

Good night all!