PDA

View Full Version : Poor Harry!

catnapper
12-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Last night I went to the warehouse club and Walmart for Candy to make many many wreaths for my wreath sale Wednesday. I came home with boxes and boxes and bags and bags of candy. Heather helped me sort the candy into color-coordinated bowls, and we just tossed the plastic bags onto the floor as we went along, intending to pick them all up when we were done. Harry must have climbed int one of the plastic bags with handles, because within seconds, Harry had the handle wrapped around his tummy and he was flying through every room trying to escape the bag! :eek: As he ran through the whole downstairs at lighting speed raising a racket (boy plastic bags are noisy!) he managed to also completely spook the other cats... first Abby went running up the steps with big poofy tail, then Allen and his poofy tail were close behind, followed by a completely spooked Pouncer.

He finally broke free (though Heather, Tony, Grant, and I were ALL trying to catch him to get him free of the bag) and he flew into the kitchen. We all saw him go in, but not come out. A search was performed to find him. An eternity later, we found him UNDER the dishwasher. I didn't even know you could get under it! Once we could finally coax him out from under there, I did a full check and no tender spots or damage from the ordeal. But for the remainder of the evening, all 4 cats were VERY jumpy at the slightest sound.

God, what would have happened if we weren't home? If it got caught around his neck instead of his tummy? I try to keep plastic bags out of sight, for this very reason!

sirrahbed
12-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Good reminder Kim!!:eek: Sounds like it was a VERY scary event. I have to kinda laugh now at the picture of it, but it also serves as a very good reminder at what could happen with those plastic bags that are all over the place - especially at this time of year!!

UNDER the dishwasher??:eek:

lynnestankard
12-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed

UNDER the dishwasher??:eek:

Just what I was thinking Debbie!!!!!!

Hope poor Harry's fully recovered from his awful fright - and the other furries have got rid of 'poofy' tails :D :D :D :D :D :D

Lynne

catnapper
12-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Harry's fully recovered and currently purring so loud I can hear him clear across the room!

Yes, UNDER the dishwasher! I had no idea there was even an "under" part! He refused to come out for the longest time, and we couldn't reach him. Thank goodness the dishwasher wasn't running or his hideyhole would have scared him too!

QueenScoopalot
12-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Oh dear Harry...just think, you're not alone in this traumatic event! It happens in every nosy kitty household. :( ;) I make a point of either putting bags on the stove, which kitties so rarely get up on, or bag them up out of reach fast. Poor Harry....I'm glad you were OK, albeit a bit shaken up by it all, but kitties here can sympathize...been there, and done that too Harry! :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
12-11-2004, 06:57 PM
This exact same thing happened to Chester and to this day, he is terrified of those bags! Yup... we learned to keep those bags PUT AWAY out of cats reach!!!!

Harry will be tramatized for a long time, poor baby!

rg_girlca
12-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Poor sweet Harry. That is so scary when they do that and trying to catch them is such a chore.

Glad he was okay.

iloverat
12-11-2004, 11:47 PM
We've had similar experiences here with the paper shopping bags, the ones with handles on them. If I give one to Briggs to play with now, I cut the handles off first. I learned to do this after she got tangled up in the handles one time and couldn't get loose til I cut her free. YIKES!!! :(

kimlovescats
12-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Oh poor baby, Harry! Gosh, that could have been bad .... but since it wasn't .... well, the visual must have been pretty funny!:rolleyes: ;)

Kfamr
12-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
well, the visual must have been pretty funny!:rolleyes: ;)

LOL.. I was thinking the same.
I can't help but to giggle, since everyone is okay!

Hope the kitties aren't still spooked!

catmandu
12-12-2004, 12:26 PM
JJJ3,did thatonce,looking for treats,and getting his neck,stuck,in the handle,of the bag,andthen,of course,he was even more,of the Bull,In the China shop,than usual,and ran,when I tried to free him,and we are glad,that Harrry,was unhurt.

catcrazylady
12-12-2004, 04:12 PM
LOL!! Poor Harry!! I don't mean to laugh at him but it brought back a memory. We had the same thing happen with Pervy when she was little. The handle of the bag got cought around her middle and she bolted. The bag filled with air and it looked like a giant balloon stuck on her back. Imagine her flying through the house, me in pursuit, and eight terrified cats fleeing in every direction!! She somehow made it upstairs and I found her under a chair breathing so heavy. She was terrified! I laugh now but it wasn't funny then so I feel you pain.;) :D