PDA

View Full Version : Chipmunks

Sdsamaras
10-07-2000, 04:25 AM
My chipmunk keeps on pacing up and down the cage. It is only in the breeding sessions that he does this. Is this because he needs a mate or is he just borred.

carrie
10-17-2000, 10:36 AM
Hi,
Firstly let me confess that I know nothing about chipmunks! That's a help isn't it? I bet you feel better already.
Pacing is a classic sign of stress in a caged animal and when it is constant usually shows severe psychological trauma. ( Classic image of big cats in poor conditions in circus pens or zoos.)
As your little friend only shows this behaviour during the breeding season I would suggest talking with your vet about possible castration, of your chipmunk, not the vet. This may not be a safe option due to the risks posed to small animals under anaesthetic. He/she will also be able to advise you on a companion for him but please take into account that you will have an awful lot of baby chipmunks around if nature is allowed to follow her course.

carrie
10-18-2000, 03:48 PM
Hi, me again,
I have learned that if you get a female to allieviate your male's frustration then you can expect two litters a year. Each litter is between 2 and 7 babies although the norm is 4 or 5. Litters are born in April and July. The babies are weaned and independant at two months and will then need new homes! Hope this helps, please let me know what your vet says about nuetering.