PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a new kitty?? ;)

Cookiebaker
12-11-2004, 08:49 AM
I had to drop a job off at one of our customer's a couple of days ago, and I was so surprised to find that he hosts cats that are up for adoption in his office.

Let me tell you, I AM IN LOOOOVE!! He has this one kitty there that is the prettiest cat I have ever seen (except for Marigold of course) She is perfectly white, except for one patch on her neck that is calico (a mix of black and gold). And her tail is calico as well. Besides that, she has a stripe of hair down her back that lays the opposite direction (like a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog), so it stands kind of poofy up. And she is sooo snuggly!!! Giving me headbumps and purrs.

The only thing is, Marigold is kind of territorial and doesn't really like other cats to be around. IF we think seriously about getting this other cat, what are some hints/tips to introducing them?? Especially when Marigold tends to be rebellious (not eating/peeing in the house). Are there ways to head that kind of behaviour off??

We have not made any kind of decision nor comittment yet. We are only brain storming. :p

ChrisH
12-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Sorry that I don't have any tips for you but she does sound like one gorgeous kitty. :)

sirrahbed
12-11-2004, 02:22 PM
hmmm... could you request a trial basis perhaps?? Then, keep the newcomer in a separate room for a few days so that Marigold can get used to her scent - then try some gradual introductions?
You never know until you try. Ours have all been adults until our last few years with kittens. Each new adult was added to the household with no problems. I only know to pretty much ignore the newcomer and shower Marigold with lots of love.
Let us know what you decide!!

QueenScoopalot
12-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Everyone needs more than one cat! Maybe as Deb said, a trial adoption to see if things may work out or not. You may also want to look into some Feliway plug-ins. I think this place I buy a lot from, carries them cheap...www.KVvetsupply.com. You never know until you try, and there's so few homes, and soooo many kitties in need of loving ones. ;)

catnapper
12-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Oh how exciting! If you introduce the new kitty by keeping her in a spare room for a week or so, allowing Marigold to get used to the new smeel of a new cat. Perhaps putting a blanket in the room for the new kitty to sleep on and then giving it to Marigold to smell.

You can never tell how a cat will react to another cat. I always was afraid Allen wouldn;t take to Pouncer, but it was a match made in heaven, Then when I started to foster cats, I was SURE Pouncer would LOVE the kittens to play with -- he doesn't. He spits and growls. I have to be careful and only take an occasional foster in now because he doesn't handle the stress well. He was not happy about Abby and Harry at first, but now he loves his little siblings.

rg_girlca
12-11-2004, 07:22 PM
I have nothing to add as you have gotten some very good advice from others already and I agree when it was said that you will never know until you try it.

I would love to see a picture of her as her markings sound so unique.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.:)

Kfamr
12-11-2004, 07:54 PM
That cat sounds gorgeous!!
Like everyone else, i'd suggest going for a trial run. although, it may not be for a whiilllee until the two kitties wamr up to eachother!

I wish you good luck, Anna!!

kimlovescats
12-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I'd say GO FOR IT! :D

catmandu
12-12-2004, 12:22 PM
We say GO For it,too,as Cats,should be in pairs,as everyone,wants someone,to talk,and play,with.

sirrahbed
12-12-2004, 01:15 PM
The comedy of coming to Cat General and asking "do I need another kitty?" just struck me. I came here with one cat, now at RB :rolleyes: One day I said "do I need a new kitty?" and folks said "two is better". Then I said I really wanted an orangie, do I need one more?"...that was before Lizzie and Robbie:eek:
Do I need another kitty?;)

catcrazylady
12-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Everybody needs another kitty!!!!:D :D :D

PayItForward
12-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Everybody needs another kitty!!!!:D :D :D
or Ten !!!

Sucessfully introductions tend to be slow. The slower the better if you know your kitty is territoral to start with.

Try this...
http://www.piftails.com/introducingnewcat.html

Good luck.