PDA

View Full Version : Mealworms, keeping, possibly breeding

lv4dogs
12-10-2004, 01:34 PM
I just found out mealworms are a great treat for hamsters. I got Chica one & she LOVES them. I'm also going to start to give them to my rats as an occasional treat.

They are also a great treat for birds. If I end up with too many I will put them out for the birds I feed. (Not sure if they are good for pet birds, but I imagine they can be for the right breed)

I was thinking about possibly breeding them so I will always have a supply on hand. I remember breding years ago in school, they were very very easy. I do know they live off of oats. But can't remember too much more. I have looked on a few sites & found some info, but was wondering if anyone here does the same & what technique/supplies you use.

Breeding them wouldn't matter to me much as they are very cheap but the small mealworms are very hard to find in my area, mainly just the super worms are around me. I can feed the big ones, but I have to decapitate them first as they have a nasty bite, even when going down.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-10-2004, 04:05 PM
There really cheep to buy, like $10 for 1000. My friend gets them from a place (I think it's called Rainbow mealworm farm???) Yes they can live off of oats, but easier than that they can live in a dormant state in your refrigerator for quite a while. Chickens love them, if their getting old and you are going to order a fresh batch just find some chickens to give the old ones to them.

I'll get you the number for the mealworm farm my friend uses tonight. I know she's been using them for a long time and has been very pleased with them.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-10-2004, 08:36 PM
this is the place my friend gets her mealworms from. They have regular mealworms, superworms, small mealworms, wax worm (a little more expensive but the rodents love them), and probably some other stuff.

Rainbow Mealworms:
126 E. Spruce St. P.O. Box 4907
Compton, CA 90220
1-800-777-9676

DejaVu
12-10-2004, 08:39 PM
I must say, hamsters do LOVE mealworms... and crickets. lol
If you do decide to breed them, They turn into beetles.
The eats: Fruits and veggies, bread, oats, etc. and they smell! lol. I was breeding them for a short period of time.

lv4dogs
12-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by DejaVu
I must say, hamsters do LOVE mealworms... and crickets. lol
If you do decide to breed them, They turn into beetles.
The eats: Fruits and veggies, bread, oats, etc. and they smell! lol. I was breeding them for a short period of time.

Do they really smell bad? Is there anything you can do to prevent the smell?

I have a dwarf hamster, would a cricket pack too much of a bite if I feed it live?

I can't get her to even eat mealworms unless I cut off their heads.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-13-2004, 04:46 PM
They don't stink, it's their poop that does. They don't smell too bad if you keep them clean, which isn't always the easiest thing to do.