PDA

View Full Version : I´m a new member and I´m going to get a bunny

chrisgab
12-20-2001, 10:15 PM
:D hi! I need allllllll the bunny advice you can give me :)
please email me [email protected]
I´m getting a Lop bunny in the first week of January, it´s just waiting for me :)
I´m open to hear every advice... thanks!
Oh...do I really need a cage? Can´t I just put him in the bathroom or something when I go out? I hate cages ! thanks ;)

PJ's Mom
12-21-2001, 12:45 AM
Hi Chris. Congratulations on your new bunny!

I don't know much about them, but I think if you leave him/her in the bathroom, or any other room, it might chew up a lot of stuff. Besides, if bunnies are anything like guinea pigs and hamsters, they like to have a little safe haven where they can hide and sleep. :)

I'm just guessing here, and I hope someone smarter than I will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Good luck! :)

chrisgab
12-21-2001, 01:00 AM
Hey thanks :) I do plan on building a nice little house for my bunny to sleep in though... I hope that would be ok? I just think it would be so sad to keep it in a cage... oh well...I´m still open to advice :)

Karen
12-21-2001, 09:23 AM
We have a hutch for our bunny - it is where her litter box is, and where she can go when she wants some hay. Other than that she is a "House Bunny" - but you have to be prepared to have stuff chewed on, or to give her plenty of stuff to do. The hutch was also where she was confined when she had a broken leg, and the doc didn't want her hopping on it too much.

It is soooo exciting that you are getting a baby bunny! For lots of info on how to care for her, go here (http://www.rabbit.org/).

Building her a little house is fine - she'll want a dark place to hide, sometimes. A big cardboard box with a hole on one corner on one end, and the opposite corner on the other end was a favorite of our bunny til it got too old and dilapidated - they do like to chew on, dig at, and tear up cardboard!

chrisgab
12-21-2001, 01:29 PM
awwww thanks Karen :)
i´m going to take a look at that page right now! :)

I want my bunny to be very happy :)

NoahsMommy
12-21-2001, 03:25 PM
Hi Chrisgab,

Welcome to Pettalk and congrats on getting your new friend. We have two buns that are house trained and live indoors. Make sure you go to this site:House Rabbit Site (http://www.houserabbit.org), it will tell you all about how to care for your bun and will answer any questions you may have. If you want, feel free to ask me as many questions as you want...there are a few others that have buns (Zippy-Kat, Karen, Conchita, Heather, and Daisylover) that I am sure would be happy to give you advice too!

There are some pictures of our little sweeties in my signature. Oh, Make sure you get your bun fixed, especially if it is a girl. They are really prone to ovarian cancer...Faith (the black one) is getting fixed next week...

Our buns have a bunny condo that is two story and is 3 1/2 ft by 3 1/2 ft (it's huge!) they live in during the day. When we come home from work, they get to come out into their "bunny run", it is a gated area that is attached to their cage (about 8 ft long rectangle). They have toys and some cardboard boxes to climb in/on. They run around and have tons of fun. We don't let them out of that area because buns tend to be sneaky and find places to hide and wires to chew.

I look forward to hearing about your new bun! Do you have a name picked out yet?

chrisgab
12-21-2001, 04:40 PM
Thanks Noah´s Mommy :)
Your babies are so cute! Noah actually reminds me of my cat Michelle, she was SO special to me... sigh...
Anyway...no I don´t have a name yet... I thought about Milkshake :D but haven´t decided anything yet. I don´t even know which color I´m gonna get...white? grey? brown? Maybe someone here can help me with names and colors too! :)

PJ's Mom
12-21-2001, 04:51 PM
Milkshake is a cute name! :)

Karen
12-21-2001, 09:14 PM
I would wait until you get there to see what bunny seems to be "the one" for you, and THEN think about a name. I find that most animals seem to suggest their name to me, rather than me pick a name beforehand.

NoahsMommy
12-31-2001, 05:53 PM
It's almost time to get your bun! Do you have a name yet?

tazz1227
01-10-2002, 06:59 AM
Hi Chris, just checking to see if you got your bunny yet. I have 2 that just celebrated their 1 month anniversary with me. They got all kinds of treats and presents. But the sad part is they still do not have name...after a month. I know, I am such a bad parent. (smile) When we purchased them we figured we would wait and see what fit them so we started calling them Boy Boy and Girl Girl and it kindda stuck but I feel bad with that as their names and now my boyfriend doesn't want to change them. He says they will be confused. I am changing them. It has been a major adjustment but I love them both very much and I am counting down the time until I can get them fixed because I am so afraid she will get pregnant but righ now they are too young. Hopefully the beginning of Feb I will get it done if I can wait. The whole bunny thing is trial and error. I have changed so many things to suit them. Changed the arrangement of the cage so many times. They have full run of a room and they only go into the cage to eat and use the litterbox. I am so happy they like the litterbox. Well let me know if I can help. I have so many resources I have found on the internet that I am becoming an expert. hee hee Boy Boy and Girl Girl's mom.

chrisgab
01-10-2002, 07:52 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSS I got my baby lop !!! I got her on Monday and I´ve been so excited that I didn´t have time to come post :D
She´s BEAUTIFUL !!! Her name is JOY.
please come visit her at Joy´s site! (http://chrisjjt.com.sapo.pt/joy.html)
email me to let me know what you think
[email protected] :)