PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure what to do...

Mandy1
12-08-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure what to do; any advice would be appreciated...

I was talking to a girl from my school on msn, we aren't friends or anything but I guess we talk to each other because we can relate to each other in a way. Anyways, she asked if she could admit something to me and if I could keep it a secret, well obviously I said yes...She told me that lately she has been cutting herself and hanging out at the park with some kids that do drugs. When I asked her why she was doing that she told me it was the only way she could "get away from things". I used to relate to this and I know where she is coming from. I know that I should tell someone, but from personal experience, I know that telling a teacher, or the school guidance councilor will just cause her embarrassment, and I want her to be able to come and talk to me about anything, and if i tell someone this I know that wont happen. She also said I am the only one who knows about this, well if someone confronts her about it (like a teacher) she will know I said something. I rather try to help her by my self, and if that doesn’t work I will take it to another level. I’m really confused as too what I should do. She is a really nice girl, but she has so many problems in her life.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am confused, and I don’t want to hurt her.

Karen
12-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Keep talking to her. Find out (gently) how long she's been cutting. If it's not long, that's good, maybe you can convince her to stop. But being her friend is the most important thing you can do right now. Watch her carefully, offer to hang out with her instead of her hanging out with the "druggies," and how sad or desperate she is. Then you'll know whether and when you need to tell an adult or not.

Logan
12-08-2004, 09:38 PM
I know nothing about how to handle these things (and I probably should since I am a mother of a 13 year old). I'm with Karen. I think she has given you excellent advice. Best of luck.

Logan

Mandy1
12-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Thanks Logan and Karen :)

Karen I will talk with her tomorrow :)

Karen
12-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Thanks. Keep us posted, okay? You don't have to let her know about Pet Talk, you can refer to us, if you do at all, as "old friends" who live out of state! ;)

Mandy1
12-08-2004, 11:43 PM
I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. :)

Miranda_Rae
12-08-2004, 11:54 PM
I agree with Karen, but if she is in danger of causing serious harm to herself, you should tell someone. Best of luck, and you should be honored that she chose to tell you. :) I hope that everything works out for the best.