PDA

View Full Version : Hamsters

Pip N Squeak
12-26-2000, 10:24 PM
I recently acquired 2 new femaleRussian dwarf hammies-awfully cute and also nippers!
They loved being held, but the problem is they don't like the picking up part of the handling process, so they nip/nibble. It doesn't break the skin, but it pinches a little and startles my friends. How can I get them to stop nipping when being approached? They are so small when I pick them up, they slide and I end up holding their hips and back legs!
Previously, I have had 4 Ted Bear hammies and definitely know what its like to be bitten.... HARD! Please write so I can teach my hammies otherwise while they're still young.
Pip N Squeak's mom(Reo's too)

Genia
12-27-2000, 06:15 PM
Are your friends handling them the right way? Since you only recently got them maybe they should get used to you first. My hamster would nip at first. Then he got used to us and there was no problem.

Daisy's Mom
12-27-2000, 10:56 PM
How recently did you aquire these hammies? When I got my hamster Ritz, the woman who sold him to me told me that I should not pick him up for three days to let him settle down. I followed these rules, but my little sister did not! After one day she stuck her hand in and he bit her, pretty hard too! Anyway, I am not sure if this is your case, but if it is, you might want to just leave them alone for a while and let them get used to their surroundings. Ritz never bit again for the rest of his life (well, except once when my cousin was poking him hard on his poor little head while he was trying to sleep - can you blame him!?). Well, good luck with your hamsters! They are such wonderful pets, I really miss my poor Hammie sometimes! He died two years ago but I still miss the little guy, what a sweetie!