PDA

View Full Version : Bravo! Bravissimo!!

RICHARD
12-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Opera singer turns tables

An opera singer who was replaced by a member of the audience after he had a heart attack has himself stepped into a performance after another singer collapsed.

Austrian baritone Lauri Vasar was in Spain resting from his own collapse on stage while playing Escamillo in Carmen.

The show, at Vasar's home town of Linz, was saved when Australian Ian Vayne climbed onto the stage and finished the performance.

Vasar went to Spain to recuperate and was watching a public dress rehearsal for Henze's L'Upupa at the Teatro Real in Madrid when tenor Matthias Goerne slipped and hurt his foot.

By chance Vasar had studied the role for two weeks, but had never sung the whole piece or been accompanied by an orchestra.

But he offered his services and said: "It was really bizarre, instead of being the one who was taken off to hospital, this time round I was the one trying to take up the role at the last minute.

"Goerne's clothes were much too big for me so I was given a makeshift costume and hurried on stage without any makeup."

But his performance was greeted by thunderous applause and excellent critiques by the Madrid audience.

His local theatre in Linz said: "By standing in for a colleague in Madrid, Lauri Vasar has proved once and for all that he not only survived Carmen, but that he will stand up for others as well."
-------------------------------------

lololol,
Ya gotta have heart!
lots and lots and lots of heart.....

:D