PDA

View Full Version : Hairball stuff is NOT working :(

DogLover9501
12-08-2004, 09:44 AM
The vet gave me some hairball stuff for Emma a LONG time ago...

It's called "Felaxin" and the vet said to remove hairballs, give it once daily for about a week or so, and then after that give it 2-3 times a week...

I have been giving it *almost* every day since we got it, and thats a long time, and Emma still throws up hairballs about every second morning(always at 6 AM :rolleyes: :p).

Do anyone use anything that WORKS for hairballs??

Thanks

aki
12-08-2004, 10:02 AM
The only thing that seems to help my Chuck is taking him in for regular grooming. Shampoo and a good brushing. I have it done because I would need to call an ambulance if I tried it myself! LOL

slick
12-08-2004, 10:11 AM
I just use regular old vaseline. After all the stuff you buy at the vet is basically just flavoured petroleum jelly.....
I put a bit on my finger and shove it Max's mouth. He hates it but along with regular brushing it works like a charm.

Cataholic
12-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Regular grooming works wonders..he he he. Only one of my cats love the hairball stuff..the one that needs it the least, too. MONTE!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-08-2004, 10:37 AM
The only other thing that has ever helped with Tubby, my chronic hairball machine, has been regular brushing. Because think about it, if the hair ends up in the brush, it can't end up in her stomach. She may not like the brushing, but if you start slow and just do a little bit everyday, she may grow to love the brushing sessions. Just be gentle and don't tug too hard or it will hurt and she will grow to hate it.

And yes, amazingly enough, with my two, Tubby is so much worse with hairballs than Peanut is, and Peanut is the one with the long hair - go figure. :rolleyes:

NoahsMommy
12-08-2004, 10:39 AM
My cats rarely get furballs. But I agree with the others, a good brushing and continuing with that furball stuff. I've also heard that eating cat grass helps with that too, but I don't know how.

christa
12-08-2004, 12:46 PM
A brush a day keeps the hairballs away!

shais_mom
12-08-2004, 01:12 PM
I have Kylie on hairball Lite food.
What is Emma eating?
We haven't had hairballs for over a year. Until just this past weekend that is! :rolleyes:
I am not real disciplined with brushing Kylie but I try. Kloe gets a little pi$$y with it thus far.
I recently started going back to the lady that has done my hair for years and she has 2 senior kitties. And the older one had such a large hairball, the size of her thumb she had to pull it out of her throat. She gives them a slice of butter everyday. And she said it works great.
I have even take a small syringe of cooking oil and tried to give it to Kylie. That goes over like a lead balloon!

DogLover9501
12-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone!

Emma gets brushed a couple times a week, and she also uses her cat spa, but still gets alot of hairballs!

I'm going to try to brush her everyday and see how that goes.

Thanks again

sirrahbed
12-08-2004, 01:38 PM
:confused: Is hairball stuff supposed to help them come up....or to help them slide through...:confused: