PDA

View Full Version : Can Somebunny offer Happy help?

HappyFamily
11-30-2001, 10:32 PM
I am feeling really bad about having to go away on a vacation this week that was planned a year ago. Seven months ago I adopeted my beautiful baby bunny, named Happy, and he was only three weeks old at the time. I Work out of my home and we have been together everyday ever since. He stays by my side all the time and follows me everywhere I go. I am sure it's going to be terrible for him when I go away, and I really don't know what to do. He will be staying with my mother for the time who likes animals, as she is also going to be caring for my parrot and cat as she has done before. But I know Happy is going to be very upset and wondering why his mama is gone. Happy only goes in his cage at night to sleep and spends all his time free running around my home office under my watchful eye. But when he goes to stay with my mother he will be spending most of his time in his cage because she won't be around the house as much to keep him from getting into mischief. I know He will probably be very Unhappy by this too. Is there anything I can do to make it better for Happy?

Any advie or suggetions would be greatly appreciated

:confused: :( :confused:

sammi
11-30-2001, 11:26 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk Happyfamily! You will enjoy this site and hope you can post a picture of your bunny soon. Sorry I can't give you any ideas what would help keep your bun happy but, somebody will help you out in the morning as we have several bunny lovers.
Can you leave something of yours for him to smell in his crate when you are gone?

Karen
12-01-2001, 10:12 AM
Is there a room in her house, maybe the kitchen or a spare bedroom, where she could let him run loose even when she's not around? If there's a door she could shut to keep him in one room, and just bunny-proof that room by covering or removing any electric cords, that might be preferable than Happy just staying in a cage most of the time. Whatever room she chooses, of course his cage and litterbox should be there, and maybe an empty cardboard box for him to chew on/hide in, and some bunny toys, that would probably keep him happier.

HappyFamily
12-01-2001, 11:32 AM
It can be difficult to bunny proof a room for Happy because he just loves to gnaw on the most obscure things. Although he likes the ususal books and paper and shoes, that I try to always keep out of reach, he unfortunatly occasionally likes to sink his cute little two front teeth into the painted walls :eek: (even soaked in bitter apple, yuck!)Bad bad! He'll have a big bowl of bunny food (like hay alfalfa and pellets), a big bowl of fresh veggies, and a sort of woody chews but still takes to the wall :confused:. When he does I say "bad bad!" and he'll try one or two more times till he gets the message! If only I could plate the walls in steel. :rolleyes:

I was afraid to give him cardboard to chew 'cause he'll probably eat it all up and get a bad bellyache :p but then again it's most certainly better than the walls, so I will give it a try ;).

One other thing I find troublesome though is the total lack of toys for bunnies at the petshops, I have been to twelve and not one has a line of bunny "safe and approved toys" I give him toys made for babies that he can't eat through or get hurt by, and he's got his own collection of teddies(lucky bunny). If you know of any good online resources where I could find more bunny toys please let me know. Thanks!

Karen
12-01-2001, 12:26 PM
The best bunny toys I know are not bought in stores, other than the cat toy hard balls with bells in them. Papertowel tubes and other cardboard tubes are great fun to nibble on, to roll around, etc. Dowels - unpainted plain old dowels that you can buy at a hardware store are fun for some bunnies to nibble on. Sticks are good, just sticks from a tree, to nibble on. Our bunny gets poplar sticks, apple tree sticks - just about any fruit-tree or maple tree stick is good, just let them "age" for a week after you break them off the tree or bush ... then she likes to eat the bark, and sometimes the whole stick. It's good for gnawing on, ahich all bunnies need to do. There are hard treats that are sold in most pet stores - they are appanetly yummy, but also keep the bunny occupied with nibbling ...
Corrugated cardboard boxes are particularly fun, as they are good to dig at, to peel the layers apart from, etc., etc. Sure, the bunny'll ingest some, but usually not a lot, and it doesn't cause any harm as long as they are getting regular food, too.

Metal shelves, you know, the "wire" shelves you see everywhere, tilted against the wall, can protect your mom's baseboards for the week ...

Hope I've helped! :)

NoahsMommy
12-04-2001, 02:24 PM
HappyFamily,

Welcome to Pettalk!!

When we have to leave Faith (our 2 year old bun) we make sure whoever watches her gives her the attention we give her (head rubs, ear rubs, brushing, and talks). As long as your mom pays attention to her, she'll be fine, especially when she sees you! :)

So, do you have any pictures of Happy? She sounds like a sweetie! We just got a new bun on Sunday, he is totally cute! He is about 6 months onld, we named him Thomas. The buns are getting along slowly...have you considered another rabbit for Happy? Rabbits are companion animals and REALLY enjoy the company of another bun. I have to say...they are a lot messier when there are two of them!! :eek:

uhamp
12-05-2001, 09:54 AM
I don't know what to tell you about your trip arrangements. When we went out of town last spring, we just had to hope our little bun would get over it. She was mad at us at first, but she came back around.

As for bunny toys, my favorite online bunny retailers are:
www.busybunny.com (http://www.busybunny.com) www.bunnyluv.com (http://www.bunnyluv.com) www.bunnybytes.com (http://www.bunnybytes.com)

All three have toys, treats and other good stuff. I recently ordered a "critter castle" from bunnyluv. When it arrives, I'll let everyone know how my little "princess" likes it!

NoahsMommy
12-05-2001, 03:41 PM
conejita, You are the greatest!! I have been looking for sites to get toys for our buns!! Thank you!!

Heather Wallace
12-12-2001, 05:20 AM
My advice to you would be to try and find a good petsitter who looks after people's pets in their own home. I am a petsitter although it might be a bit far for you to come with your bunny. A good petsitter should have in and out door facilities for your rabbit. This person should have a secure garden for Happy to round around and be safe, plus take him/her inside at night away fron the cold. You might be able to find a good sitter on the net but check out the premises first. A good sitter will allow you to go to his/her house first. I would recommend myself but as I said I live a bit far away.

Good Luck anyway!

Daisylover
12-17-2001, 09:58 AM
I agree that a pet sitter coming to your home would be best. Not every bun likes to be moved around. I would leave a sweatshirt or something for him with your scent on it for him to snuggle in. The bun should get a lot of hugs and conversation while you are gone. I heard of an extreme situation in which the owner HAD to leave a cassette tape on which she SPOKE to the bunny as if she was right there....only then would the bunny start eating. A second companion bun is an excellent idea too. Good luck.