PDA

View Full Version : Do you watch The Biggest Loser on tv?

teenster3
12-07-2004, 10:26 PM
I've seen it a few times & caught it tonight!
The one thing that caught my attention was hearing that because of the weight loss, Gary doesn't have asthma anymore. I wonder is that's true? Can you get rid of asthma by simply losing weight?!:confused:
TiNa

guineapiglover4life
12-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Never heard of it.

Twisterdog
12-07-2004, 11:06 PM
I've never watched it. I don't really watch TV. But I've heard about it.

I say kudos to those people, for being brave enough to go on national television and bare their hearts like that. It was hard enough for me to start going to a small local gym here and working out. I think it takes enormous courage to do what they are doing, and I hope they all succeed.

aly
12-08-2004, 12:01 AM
I've watched every episode. At first, it seemed like a hideous show that was exploiting these poor people for entertainment. But it really hasn't been like that at all. It has been a very inspiring show with wonderful people on it. I'm so proud of all the weight they were able to lose. Everyone looks just great. You can especially see it when they compare their current pictures to the pictures from the day when they first came on the show.

I think some cases of asthma can be cured from losing weight, but not all.

Palomino21
12-08-2004, 12:39 AM
I think it is motivating. If these people can get in front of tv and show millions of peope what they are doing, I think it is wonderful. It makes me motivated to go lose weight and do it right. There are tons of good health benefits from being healthy and fit.

Annie

Palomino21
12-08-2004, 12:40 AM
teenster3,

Also there are certain herbs and spices that can help with asthma. I used to have it, but now its gone. I eat alot of indian food though (very rich in spices and herbs). Just thought I'd let you know.

Annie

teenster3
12-09-2004, 12:54 AM
My asthma comes & goes, I only use an inhaler when necessary.
I was just curious if losing weight really helped it!;) I never thought about the spicy food though or herbs!

rosethecopycat
12-09-2004, 08:10 AM
I watch the show, and I can't believe that doctors could endorse this type of weight loss.
It is much too much weight, too fast.

They will likely fall victim to the 'yo-yo' syndrom, when they are back in real life and don't have access to the exercise equipment for all those hours in the day.

I'd rather lose 1 lb a month for a year, and keep it off.

They are nice people, if not naive.
More courage than I have.

God help them.

RICHARD
05-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey, why don't the women take their tops off when they get weighed? :confused:

carole
05-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Settle down Richard lol, i love the biggest loser, i find it inspiring, and it does get me off my butt and on that treadmill, actually they should call it the dreadmill as that is how i feel about getting on it some days, but watching that programme does it every time for me, i tape it and i think if people that size can work out so hard, shame on me.

I am not sure their weight loss is unhealthy, surely it is all supervised and nutritionally based etc,it is the final this week in NZ so cannot wait to see who wins, now don't be letting the cat out of the bag please,pretty please. :) :D

RICHARD
05-15-2007, 10:57 PM
I am not sure their weight loss is unhealthy, surely it is all supervised and nutritionally based etc,it is the final this week in NZ so cannot wait to see who wins, now don't be letting the cat out of the bag please,pretty please. :) :D

THey are supervised. I only saw a few episodes. I was struck by how pretty the girls are. It's a shame that they base their attractiveness on their weight.

RICHARD
12-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I was looking at the season finale tonight.

250,000 dollars?

THey can go on Survivor, not have to exercise, lose weight and win one million dollars....:)

Catherinedana
12-09-2009, 07:40 AM
My best friend Madeline watches and has told me about it. We are both, well, plump and she suggested that we go on as a team. UUUuuummm, no.

CountryWolf07
12-09-2009, 09:24 AM
I think that show is great to encourage anyone to work out, lose weight, whatever their goal is! :)

Taz_Zoee
12-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I love this show and have watched every season, even some of the UK and Australia seasons. I just watched the season finale and you'd think after so many seasons of watching this I'd get off my arse and be inspired. NOPE! I sit and watch it while I eat crappy food. Luckily I'm not big enough to go on the show.......yet. But I need to be healthier. I just don't have a support system that I need.

slick
12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I just voted and I discovered that this thread is from 2004 - yup, I've been watching every show since the beginning. Addicted??? **raises hand** I find it very inspiring but like you Taz, I'm not doing much these days.

250,000 dollars? THey can go on Survivor, not have to exercise, lose weight and win one million dollars....http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif LOL You are so right but to have to put up with Russell???? EEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!

As you know Richard, it's not about the money. I'd pay someone $250,000 to get me in that good shape. I did watch the finale and am happy with the winner. I'm sorry, but I didn't want Amanda to win. I have my reasons.

Cookiebaker
12-10-2009, 10:39 AM
LOL You are so right but to have to put up with Russell???? EEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!

As you know Richard, it's not about the money. I'd pay someone $250,000 to get me in that good shape. I did watch the finale and am happy with the winner. I'm sorry, but I didn't want Amanda to win. I have my reasons.

Slick you are soooo right on every point! Amanda shoulda vamoosed a long time ago and can't believe they chose her over Shay (week 6 maybe?). She didn't have good numbers (ever!) and I thought her crush on Bob so immature.

ETA: BL inspired me to lose weight over the last 2 years -- I had lost 40 pounds, and went from a size 16 to a size 12. Now, I'm pregnant, and hanging in there until next summer, and hoping for the best. ;)

And as for Russell? He shoulda been gone the first week........!!!! I can't STAND him - he's such a manipulator! :mad:

RICHARD
12-10-2009, 10:50 AM

I'd kick Russell's arse just for the way he looks.;)

I caught about 10 minutes of the BL finale and was really agitated at the gal with the short blonde hair.

She was really obnoxious.:rolleyes:

I just looked it up and the gal's name is Rebecca.

There was a point where she was asked by the host if she could beat the loss posted byan other person. She started to make faces and the way she acted reminded me of the women outside the liquor store asking for spare change.....

Strange. She seems to have a huge opinion about herself.

Cataholic
12-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I watch the show, and I can't believe that doctors could endorse this type of weight loss.
It is much too much weight, too fast.

They will likely fall victim to the 'yo-yo' syndrom, when they are back in real life and don't have access to the exercise equipment for all those hours in the day.

I'd rather lose 1 lb a month for a year, and keep it off.

They are nice people, if not naive.
More courage than I have.

God help them.

All of the people on BL are morbidly obese. All of them. They are at SUCH a huge risk for any number of fatal health crises, if not already in many dangerous health crises. Losing 1 pound a month- for them (and many overweight people) would never allow them to become healthy (and most likely happier) in this life time.

Losing 20, 30 pounds a month- under a doctor's care, mind you, and performing physical exercise nearly most of the day, is much healthier for them then carrying this excess weight for another month or two.

slick
12-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I watch the show, and I can't believe that doctors could endorse this type of weight loss. It is much too much weight, too fast.
Very true Rose. For most of us it's not a good thing. However more importantly than losing the weight, these people make a change inside - they learn to love themselves, learn that they deserve to be fit, they learn how to live a heathier lifestyle. I think that's really what the show is all about.

I really wish there would be a Canadian equivalent to this show. :(

Taz_Zoee
12-10-2009, 02:15 PM
I'd kick Russell's arse just for the way he looks.;)

I caught about 10 minutes of the BL finale and was really agitated at the gal with the short blonde hair.

She was really obnoxious.:rolleyes:

I just looked it up and the gal's name is Rebecca.

There was a point where she was asked by the host if she could beat the loss posted byan other person. She started to make faces and the way she acted reminded me of the women outside the liquor store asking for spare change.....

Strange. She seems to have a huge opinion about herself.

I totally agree with you Richard. She bugged the crap outta me! Her attitude was not attractive. And her hair looks horrible. I liked her on the show, but not in the finale. Lose the attitude Rebecca!!
Also, Tracey looks horrible too. She is way too thin. The skin on her face hangs and it's not pretty.
I was also happy with the winner. I really like him. After the make overs he reminded me of John Goodman in the Flintstones.

RICHARD
12-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I really wish there would be a Canadian equivalent to this show. :(

Here, let me show you how to make a low cal/low fat reindeer lasagna, Eh!;)