PDA

View Full Version : I need advice about my prairie dog!!!!

luckycharm1313
10-21-2001, 08:22 PM
I'm having major issues with my prairie dog, Terkina. :( She is about 6 months old and she can't stand me. She tries to run away every time I try to hold her. She doesn't bite me, but she's not friendly at all. Is there any way to solve my problem, or am I stuck with a vicious/paranoid prairie dog for the rest of her life?? Somebody please help!!!
~*~Caitlin~*~

purrley
10-22-2001, 07:13 AM
Caitlyn - You know prairie dogs are wild animals - have you considered turning it loose in the wild to be with other prairie dogs - I would think a prairie dog would be much happier with other prairie dogs. These little guys are a challenge to domesticate and since he's doesn't seem very happy I would suggest you turn him loose :(

zippy-kat
10-22-2001, 10:16 AM
Actually, I've seen some really, really tame prairie dogs. But you're right purrley, they're probably a real challenge to domesticate. However, if the pd is use to having her food provided for her, I'm wondering if she'll know how to "hunt" for her food. Would she be able to adapt back to the wild?

Caitlin, this is a toughie! I guess, I would advise trying to handle her everyday as much as possible, without stressing the two of you out. Karen was right when she said that some animals--no matter how much they love you--just do not like to be held.

Have you looked up any internet resources? I'll try and find some sites later today. If I find any, I'll be sure to post them.

Good luck to you and your pd!

purrley
10-22-2001, 11:01 AM
We have a lot of prairie dog mounds here in Utah and I know the little critters are pretty hardy. I think your PD would do well being turned back to the wild. Besides a nasty bite from a PD could cause you some really serious problems.!!!!

Karen
10-22-2001, 11:41 AM
Hey, purrley, her prairie dog was bought as a pet, is her pet, and was probably bred by another pet prairie dog. We don't advocate turning cats or dogs out into the wild when they have behavioral problems, and I don't think it is appropriate to advocate that here, either.

That said, you probably need to spend time just being with Terkina, maybe sitting quietly with her being in the room with you, and petting her when she approaches. Just a little more each time, until you both are more comfortable with it. As I said earlier, some pets just do NOT like to be held. Only I can hold our bunny, anyone else, even Paul, she'll be very uncomfortable and twist away, or, in the vet's case, she'll bite! I have held her since the day we got her, and was very conscientious to do it every day, and make it a nice time for us together, always making sure her feet have something to rest on so she'd be happy. Perhaps when you and Terkina have worked on being together more and more, you could try holding her a little every day until she gets used to it?

purrley
10-22-2001, 11:57 AM
hey Karen - EXCUSE ME!!!!! Prairie Dogs, Squirrels, Chipmunks, Racoons and the like are wild animals and should be kept that way. I've never heard of any pet shop selling Prairie Dogs. I definately believe if a wild animal is hurt they should be rehabilitated and turned back into their natural environment where they belong.

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

Karen
10-22-2001, 01:44 PM
http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/1998/October/23p.jpg http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2000/November/20p.jpg http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2001/September/14p.jpg

Purrley, let me introduce you to Zeus (http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/1998/October/23.html), Peanut (http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2000/November/20.html) and Puck (http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2001/September/14.html) - just three of the eight prairie dogs that have been Pet of the Day! They are indeed bred as pets these days, just are not as common as gerbils, hamsters, and other formerly wild animals that have been domesticated over the years. I don't believe any of these guys were wild-captured, though of course they are not as "tame" as pets that have been domesticated for generation after generatiion like bunnies, etc.

purrley
10-22-2001, 01:54 PM
I've met these cute guys but I still believe the wild should stay wild and they would if the humans would just leave them in the wild where they belong. I've seen many a wild animal adopted that turned out to be exactly what the adopter did not want. Then where do they go? Back to the wild after domestication just because the owner can't handle them? I feel it's a incredible injustice expecially for the poor animal. Rehab. for the wild ones should be left to the professionals who know how to handle them and reintroduce them back to the wild. Stick with the kitties, doggies and the domesticated hamster, pigs etc.- but leave the wild babies to be just that - WILD!!!

zippy-kat
10-22-2001, 04:14 PM
Here's a few links I found:

PrairieDogs.net (http://prairiedogs.net/)
CritterHobbyist: Prairie Dogs (http://www.critterhobbyist.com/forum/prairiedogs/)
Prairie Dogs (http://www.kalielsprairedogs.homestead.com/)
Exotic Pet Ring (http://members.tripod.com/~MelSkunk/exotic.html)

I'll be honest, I'm at work and haven't read through any of the links so I'm not sure what kind of information they contain.

Remember-if in doubt, always check with a vet!

Hope this helps a bit!

purrley
10-23-2001, 08:56 AM
Dear Terkina - I did receive your message and I do understand your plight with your little Prairie Dog - the reason that I'm so vocal with the adoption of wild critters is because I used to work for the Fish & Game Dept. here in the SLC area and I saw over and over again people who tried to domesticate a wild critter and it turned out disasterous for the animal. People think they're so cute at first and then end up wanting to get rid of it for one reason or another. So they called us. I do wish you good luck with your little guy, but I so urge people not to adopt wild animals. Nature is a wonderous thing and left alone by human kind is always the best policy as far as I'm concerned.

Regards

Corinna
10-23-2001, 11:54 AM
i raise chinchillas and have had a PD once I rescued him. There are pet breeders and they DO NOT return to the wild . They also can bring diseases to the wild population never retun a pet animal to the wild with out supervision of an game offical.
Now to help you out with your problem. I try to handle my babies as soon as possible to stop this kind of thing, that said lets help you. When I get a new critter in I talk to it alot the first two days then I start tring to hand feed it slowly and make it come to me. Remember they are night critters so they are more sleepy during the day, sometimres that is good , they are less gaurded and will be more reseptive. But others can be like me LEAVE me alone. Finding the best time is your first key thing to do. After they come to my hand feeding I slowly start to pet them. and can then start doing more (they need trust) I usually plan to take no less than a month to get to the petting stage.
It is a slow process but you will have your pet at least 7 years or more if fed and cared for properly, they are a long lived animal when made a pet. Also remember they were a wild animal not so long ago, and some never become cuddly as the rabbits and chin do. If you need more help go a head and e mail me and I'll help you out Please don't give up keep at it the less these guys are traded around the better for them.

SimbaTWonderDog
10-23-2001, 10:55 PM
if you really think about it we all have wild animals.. they were all once wild we have just domesticated them in which if Terkina chooses to have a PD as a pet then thats her choice.. as long as she treats the pet with love and feeds it all the stuff needed to keep it in good health then she can have any pet she chooses

And purrley how you said... "Besides a nasty bite from a PD could cause you some really serious problems.!!!!" A bite from a dog can lead to really serious problems.. a bite from anything can lead to problems.. but she chooses to take that risk in owning a PD and takeing that risk in getting that nasty bite which may lead to serious problems as we all do.. any minute a dog or animal could turn on you... i doubt any of out loving animals here would but really you never know.. we all take a risk of a nasty bite when the first day of takeing a pet into your home.

Buddy2101
10-24-2001, 01:55 PM
I agree with simba. Our pets used to be wild animals. Alot of people have prair dogs as pets.

carrie
10-28-2001, 07:34 AM
Dogs and cats were not domesticated by catching them, caging them and forcing human contact on them. It was a gradual process that had benefits for both parties - a mutual decision to coexist. Every domesticated animal has suffered terribly in the hands of humans and why anyone would want to increase the number of species enduring this is beyond me.
Because we can does not mean we have any moral right to.
Domestication is not a process that is accomplished quickly - it takes many generations.
Dogs still talk the language of wolves and we still fail to understand them.
In the domestic cat we have created huge feral populations that live miserable lives.
Your Prarie Dog obviously experienced filial imprinting on other Prarie Dogs, not humans. It is a social animal.
I do not advocate letting captive animals free to fend for themselves. I would, however suggest you take it to a wildlife rescue centre where it can be rehabilitated and have a future as a Prarie Dog.

carrie
10-28-2001, 12:45 PM
Caitlin,
As you are very new to this board I can only assume that you have totally missed the concept and spirit of it.
You asked for advice and opinions. I gave mine without being insulting and using punctuation.
Do not send any more private messages to me as they will be ignored.
I am usually pleased to hear from and respond to the people from this board. They are a decent, fair and friendly group.
We all learn a great deal from each other and if our opinions differ we say so, in an adult fashion, on the board. This gives everyone the chance to read them and give them consideration.
Please join in but refrain from sending any more rude, ignorant and insulting messages to me. Thank you.