PDA

View Full Version : Question for PT Nurses . . .

christa
12-07-2004, 06:09 PM
I had the wierdest experience early this morning and I was wondering if any of you are nurses, if you have ever heard of this, or know what happened to me.

I woke up at 5 a.m., sat straight up in bed . . . I couldn't breathe AT ALL!!! My throat was completely closed SHUT! It felt like it was below my throat, but I don't know what all of those pipes are called, LOL. Anyway, I'm not talking about just having a hard time breathing, I'm talking NO AIR AT ALL! It was the strangest thing I'd ever felt . . . I struggled to breathe and couldn't so I started swallowing really hard, trying to get those muscles to start working . . . after swallowing and swallowing . . . for what seemed like forever, I felt a small opening and then started gasping for air. I felt like I'd been under water for ever! I did this for awhile and then it opened up and I could breathe normally.

My throat never felt sore, but I've felt like crap all day today.

Ironic thing is, my cat had her first asthma attack on Saturday night. Strange . . .

So my question is . . . was this just a concidence? Any idea what could have caused me to do this?

All I know is that I've never been so scared in my whole life! It was horrible!

I got out of bed, went downstairs & watched TV until hubby got up for work. I was too scared to go back to sleep.

CamCamPup33
12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Im not a nurse, but that sounds extremely scary. I would have freaked out! :p

Glad to hear your OK!

GraciesMommy
12-07-2004, 07:18 PM
My husband does that sometimes..feels like he is strangling and can't swallow or anything. Not sure what it is..I know he is a heavy snorer and always felt it had something to do with that..do you snore?

christa
12-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by GraciesMommy
My husband does that sometimes..feels like he is strangling and can't swallow or anything. Not sure what it is..I know he is a heavy snorer and always felt it had something to do with that..do you snore?

I snore, but not bad . . . or at least that's what hubby says and he's very honest with me.

This wasn't a strangle . . . I've done that too . . . this was different. No air at all.

Kater
12-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Sounds to me like it *could be* a panic attack. Or maybe an allergic reaction or asthma attack.
If you take any prescription medication you might want to read over all the possible side effects noted.

micki76
12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
christa, you may want to PM sirrahbed, I know she was/is a nurse. So was/is Sandra (tatsxxx11). They can probably give you some good advice, but I think you should see your Dr.

Sounds like anxiety/panic, like Kate said, to me too.

kimlovescats
12-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Sounds like an asthma attack to me! I wouldn't mess around with this .... get to the doctor and find out what it is! Good luck, and please update us!;)

Cataholic
12-08-2004, 10:23 AM
I was thinking sleep apnea.....in any event, I would prolly consult a doctor.

ramanth
12-08-2004, 12:03 PM
I'd see a doctor.

Andy sat straight up in bed one night, unable to breath....and I think you know the rest.

Not saying you have a collapsed lung, but Andy put off seeing the doctor and he probably could of avoided surgery had he gone in sooner.

christa
12-08-2004, 12:44 PM
No problems last night. I was scared to death to go to sleep, but I slept through the night no problem.

Wierd thing is, I have felt like crap all day! Kind of flu like symptoms. I just hurt & ache all over & have a headache . . . I just don't understand.

I hate going to the doctor . . . I always put it off!

NoahsMommy
12-08-2004, 05:30 PM
That doesn't sounds good, especially if you feel ill today.

I would at least call your doctor.

Tonya
12-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I was thinking sleep apnea.....in any event, I would prolly consult a doctor.

Mike's uncle has sleep apnea, and that's one of the symptoms. It could be anything though, see a doctor! In fact, if you do have sleep apnea, it's probably a good thing that you woke up. You might actually be doing that often in your sleep, this just happens to be the first time that you caught yourself.

dukedogsmom
12-08-2004, 05:52 PM
My SIL just discovered she has that. They've been doing tests and I think she's going to have an operation for it pretty soon. I would go to a doctor asap. It's nothing to mess around with.

Karen
12-08-2004, 06:30 PM
It doesn't sound like asthma, as no amount of swallowing helps an asthma attack that I know of. I have had asthma since I was 5 years old. Do GO TO THE DOCTOR! Yes, I'm shouting. Do I have to drive to Kentucky, bop you on the head and take you?