PDA

View Full Version : Peanuts!

Katiesmom
12-06-2004, 07:28 PM
I was getting ready to boil my son some peanuts and got curious to what you guys liked boiled, raw, parched(sp?) or just don't like peanuts! I really LOVE boiled peanuts but I also like parched ones too. I can't not stand raw peanuts though...ewww:p

I know this is a pointless thread but I was just curious:cool:

cookieluver7
12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
I like boiled peanuts! YUM!!!:p

Karen
12-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Never had boiled peanuts! I like 'em every way I've had 'em, though ...

Katiesmom
12-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Never had boiled peanuts! I like 'em every way I've had 'em, though ...

What...never had boiled peanuts???? You definitly have to try them then! You don't know what your missing;)

Jods
12-06-2004, 09:53 PM
wow until now I'd never even heard of boiled peanuts.

DogLover9501
12-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Jods
wow until now I'd never even heard of boiled peanuts.

:eek: Me neither :o I'll have to try them though!!

rizzy
12-06-2004, 10:13 PM
I havent either, I've never heard of boiled peanuts. But I'll have to try them. Do you boil them in water then?

Katiesmom
12-06-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by rizzy
I havent either, I've never heard of boiled peanuts. But I'll have to try them. Do you boil them in water then?

Yes, you do boil them in water and salt and they need to boil for quite awhile...usually I try to boil mine for about 8hrs or longer...depending on what size of peanuts will probably determine how long you need to boil them...if they are jumbo I boil mine 8hrs or longer and if they are normal size maybe not quite as long but it really depends on how done you want them... the longer the better:D

I can't believeyou guys haven't heard of them maybe its a blue ridge mountain thing..LOL!

Kfamr
12-06-2004, 11:10 PM
OM! I absolutely LOVE boiled peanuts.
They're so tastey.
There's this one hispanic couple who own a little market type thing and they sell boiled peanuts there... THE BEST. They're a tad spicy, but perfect.

There's also some you can buy in a little package in the store. I want some now!!!

Katiesmom
12-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
OM! I absolutely LOVE boiled peanuts.
They're so tastey.
There's this one hispanic couple who own a little market type thing and they sell boiled peanuts there... THE BEST. They're a tad spicy, but perfect.

There's also some you can buy in a little package in the store. I want some now!!!

I have some boiling right now as I type this I can't wait til they get done.....the only time I get them is if I go to the mountains or make them myself:D

PS...they smell so good while cooking;)

popcornbird
12-06-2004, 11:14 PM
:eek: I never even knew you could boil peanuts!!! Wow! Very new to me. How do you do it? I will have to try that. My dad LOVES peanuts and would probably love them.

Kfamr
12-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Do you just boil them, or do you add anything in the water?
I've never made them myself!

shais_mom
12-06-2004, 11:16 PM
I have never heard of them either!!
:eek:

Katiesmom
Originally posted by Kfamr
Do you just boil them, or do you add anything in the water?
I've never made them myself!

Kay, you just boil them and add alot of salt...now I'm not for sure how those people put the spices in to make them spicey because I've never tried it and you have to let them boil for awhile...the longer the better:D

Kfamr
I wonder if it's a southern thing? :confused:

Katiesmom
12-06-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm beginning to think that it is a southern thing.....:eek: and I can't believe that they are just too goooood:D

wolf_Q
12-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Some guy came into my work several months ago and talked for ages about how good boiled peanuts were....he had just recently moved here (Utah) from a southern state, I don't remember which. He had a really strong accent. That was the first time I'd heard of them. Never tried them...sound interesting though...

popcornbird
12-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Does boiling peanuts make them soft or crunchy? :confused: Wow...I have NEVER heard of boiling nuts. It seems so odd...probably because I've never heard of it. Very interesting.

Kfamr
12-06-2004, 11:25 PM
When you come down here Amy ;) you'll have to try some.
I'll make some just for you.

Boiling peanuts make them very soft. Almost the texture of peas or beans.
It's VERY good.
okay, I really need to go to bed now :o

Katiesmom
12-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Does boiling peanuts make them soft or crunchy? :confused: Wow...I have NEVER heard of boiling nuts. It seems so odd...probably because I've never heard of it. Very interesting.

It makes them sooooo soft....just about don't have to chew them:p

popcornbird
12-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Katiesmom
It makes them sooooo soft....just about don't have to chew them:p

Like a jelly bean? :p Gosh LOL! This is so weird. I just can't visualize it. I can't imagine a SOFT peanut.

Katiesmom
12-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Muuuuuch softer than a jelly bean:p

wolf_Q
12-06-2004, 11:45 PM
BTW what exactly is a parched peanut? I haven't really heard of that either. I've tried raw peanuts before, had them at the house for some reason.

The peanuts that are sold around here are all pretty much roasted and salted or with other flavors added such as honey roasted.

Katiesmom
12-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
BTW what exactly is a parched peanut? I haven't really heard of that either.

they are just cooked in the oven they are good too but boiled is better:)

molucass
12-07-2004, 02:10 AM
The only boiled peanuts I've seen were some that my dad bought from a little market type place, and they were SLIMY and soft... I don't like them..

I just eat honey roasted peanuts and what not from the can.. lol.

Logan
12-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Boiled peanuts are definitely a southern thing, but I LOVE them and it is my favorite way to eat peanuts. My husband hates them boiled and he grew up in the south too.

For those of you who have never had them, PLEASE don't buy the canned ones, and don't buy the ones you can find frozen either. They just aren't as good. You cook them in a big pot of boiling water with lots of salt. They do get soft and juicy. If you like peanuts because of the "crunch", you might not enjoy boiled peanuts. You buy them raw and cook them for a long time on low heat, stirring them periodically and adding more salt. There are people who set up these little stands on street corners on the weekends or on the roadside up in the mountains with huge kettles and sell boiled peanuts. They also almost always have them at flea markets too.

I was at the Farmer's Market recently and guess what they had? Fried Peanuts, in the shell! We actually tasted them, but they were like eating roasted peanuts (parched).

What a fun thread!

Katiesmom
12-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Yea, they sell the deep fried peanuts everywhere around here and they do taste like the roasted but I still would rather have boiled...lol...I'm so hooked on boiled peanuts...

I have some boiled peanuts still cooking right now and they have been on for over 12 hours and not quite done because they are the jumbo peanuts and I am cooking them in a crockpot....mmmmm but they smell so good:p

My Peanuts
12-07-2004, 01:24 PM
I never heard of this :p Do you boil them with the shell on? Also did I read right? You boil them for 8 hours? :eek:

Katiesmom
12-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by My Peanuts
I never heard of this :p Do you boil them with the shell on? Also did I read right? You boil them for 8 hours? :eek:

Yes, you boil them with the shell on and you probably don't have to boil them that long but the longer they boil the better....I boil them that long for the normal size peanuts and I have a pot of jumbo peanuts on now and they have been on for over 14 hours and I just ate some and they are good although I'm not that crazy about jumbo peanuts but they are still good:D

trayi52
12-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Yummy, I love boiled peanuts!!! Now you're making me hungry for boiled peanuts, Crystal!

Willie:D

RICHARD
12-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Spicy boiled peanuts!!

http://www.geocities.com/windlegends/goobers.htm

BitsyNaceyDog
12-07-2004, 03:42 PM
It is without a doubt a southern thing. I personally don't like them, it's an acquired taste. I don't like many southern foods. I lived in New York until I was 13, so that's probably way.

micki76
12-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Oh, God. My tummy's growling now. No doubt a Southern thing. I've never heard of fried peanuts, but leave it to southerners! We'll fry anything!

guineapiglover4life
12-07-2004, 04:28 PM
I never knew there was such a thing as boiled peanuts until I read this thread! :eek:

Katiesmom
12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Oh, God. My tummy's growling now. No doubt a Southern thing. I've never heard of fried peanuts, but leave it to southerners! We'll fry anything!

LOL:D We'll fry and boil anything;)

RICHARD
12-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by micki76
We'll fry anything!

I thought the Texas prison system had gone to lethal injection....:confused:

Katiesmom
12-08-2004, 09:03 AM
I have eaten waaaaaaaaay too many boiled peanuts:rolleyes: :D