View Full Version : Lexie is wearing me out......

carole
12-05-2004, 02:52 PM
My little lovebug Lexie is causing me a bit of problems at the moment, nothing too serious, and I am not sure there is an answer to it all.

About four or five in the morning, she has decided the last three nights it is play time, she goes under the bed and scratches her way all around, then she jumps up on the end of the bed and off again, she thinks this is great fun.

Yes I have shut her out of the room ,but then she scratches at the door non-stop and jumps up at the door handle, and when that is ignored she rips the wallpaper, nawtee girl.

Problem one is she sleeps all day long, so I guess she has had enough sleep.

The only other place I could shut her in, is the laundry, but she would hate that, and again she would rip the wallpaper to shreds, I know she has got me over a barrell here, hasn't she folks?

Now I can see the funny side of it all, but that is wearing thin, I have a sleep disorder, and sleep is vital to my well-being, and I am getting chronic fatigue because of it, so it is kinda serious from that point of view.

You all know I love her to bits and with all my heart, so she is forgiven already, but has anyone any ideas what I can do, she is a smart wee madam, so I gotta out smart her. HELP!!!!PLEASE!!!:)

sirrahbed
12-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Carole - could it be that you are not sleeping as well as usual and noticing her more?? I know that at this time of year, I have lots more trouble sleeping myself. Just a thought. I also have to guard my sleep like my sanity!!

A few things that help me are wearing lighter pajamas and turning the heat down so the room is cooler, then add a quilt. I try not to eat after 3pm. Little things like that.

If it truly is Lexie - perhaps earlier super, some strenous early evening playtime and then gradual calming for bedtime?

QueenScoopalot
12-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Have you tried playing with interactive type toys an hour or so before you go to bed? Wear Lexie out with feather toys, laser toys, anything that will get her energy levels roaring for a while. Maybe even a toy like a Turbo Scratcher (if they have them there) will get her more active. Is she maybe being more active toward breakfast? If she has more food toward night she's more apt to settle down and sleep hopefully. Hope you figure it out so you can get some proper rest. ;)

carole
12-05-2004, 07:09 PM
QSA I am going to try what you suggested, even though by the end of the day I am worn out, but it is the obvious answer really, how silly I could not think of that, she has free feeding, and seems to have a content belly before retiring.

I forgot to mention hubby gets up at about 6 and has formed a habit of feeding her a little bit then coming back to bed, maybe that is not helping, however this is earlier than that, and he did give her some food and she still came back, we let her in giving her another chance and low and behold straight under the bed and away she went, I even resorted to getting the broom to try to get her out, picture it, it is still darkish , we had a power cut as well, and I am moving the broom under the bed, and hubby says she is already out I think, of course she is very camoflaged as you know, and there is the little monkey under my sons gym set, staring at me, whilst I am trying to get her out from under the bed.

I am never a good sleeper granted, and my hubby says I hear a pin drop, but a cat stratching all around the edge of the bed,( she is actually inside it too, as the lining is torn, never guess by whom,) hmm yes that wakes most people.

I am going to wear her out tonight , probably me in the process as well, and maybe we will both get a good nights sleep , here's hoping.:D :)

catmandu
12-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Maybe,you should set aside an hour of play time,before you go,to bed,so you can tire Lexie out a bit.But there will be a day,that Lexie,is older,and not so energetic,like The Found Cats,that you will wish,for Lexie,to be mischeivous again.

cruisetime
12-06-2004, 09:55 AM
I will be watching this post to see the answers! :) We have the same problem. We keep her out of the bedroom (because of what you discribe) but she scratches and meows at the door and jumps at the door handle. Hubby locked the door a few nights!!! hahahaha They say cats don't know time but she is at it at exactly the same time every morning. I did notice that she left us alone these last 4 days when we were not at work. It seems she is up most of the day not wanting to miss out on what we are doing so I guess she is more tired.... I've learned to sleep through the meowing but hubby just can't seem too. Hopefully they will grow out of it. I thought another cat might help since mine is alone and maybe they could keep each other company during the day and not sleep all day but so far hubby won't let me get another one.... Debbie

carole
12-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Lexie is usually my furangel, and I don't say that lightly, she is the best kitty I have ever owned, and she only started this three nights ago, she has done the bed thing before but usually just before we settle for sleep, I think she is just a bundle of energy really.

Last night I played with lexie, just before bed,running up and down the stairs, with her favourite feather toy, she tuckered out before I did and was lying there puffing away, then after ten mins or so she looses interest.

She still did the bed thing, but luckily it was an hour later than the other nights, 6 am which is more bearable, I am an early riser anyhow, but I do like that extra half hour she is taking away from me, still that is some progress I think.

Maybe with it being summer (well supposed to be here, but not) she is more active and not so inclined to sleep as much, currently she is on her cat tree above me, doing what you may ask, yep you guessed it SLEEPING!!!

Gary I hear ya, my old guy still likes to play a little, when I was playing with Lexie, he got in on it too, funny to watch them both interacting a little, mind you Ash is one scarey kitty, even in play mode.

Lexie is my baby, she will be three years mid next year, so she is still young and it is good to see her active as such, we just have to set her clock to a different time, more suitable to us mere humans lol.:)

mina'smomma
12-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Where is Ash while Lexxie is doing this?

carole
12-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Ash is sound asleep either downstairs or in my daughters bedroom, oblivious to it all.:D

Tonya
12-07-2004, 12:57 AM
I feel for you. I don't sleep well either, so it's so disturbing when the animals wake me up. Mine go through phases. They'll be naughty for months and then suddenly mellow out again. On their bad days I lock them in the bathroom. That doesn't help much though because they have some loud meows when they are mad!

carole
12-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Yep well we went through another night, of being woken up continually on and off, I sure hope it is just a phase, I am sooooo......tired today.:(