PDA

View Full Version : Christmas tree + Kitten = Double Trouble!

joanofark
12-04-2004, 12:34 PM
How do you all do you all keep your cats off of the Christmas tree? Hobo is always climbing are tree trying to get those "Hanging Balls". When he is not climbing the tree he is ripping the bows off the presents!! He is sooooo Naughty! How do you teach your cats the tree is not a jungle gym?

RedHedd
12-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Easy - no tree! :p

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-04-2004, 12:42 PM
We put the tree (real one) in the livingroom, but keep it "naked" during 2 days: meaning: NO ornaments at all. As soon as the cats are used to this new "thingie", it is time to decorate:) . I swear, they didn't touch a single ornament last year (;) :D )

prechrswife
12-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Chloe is our only cat with a history of tree-climbing. I think she may have outgrown it, because she didn't climb last year and she hasn't tried so far this year. As they get older, they also seem less-interested in the ornaments. It helps to put bell ornaments on the bottom branches. They serve as an alarm when the cats get under the tree. As for the bows, be ready to replace a few before Christmas rolls around.;)

kuhio98
12-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by joanofark
How do you all do you all keep your cats off of the Christmas tree? How do you teach your cats the tree is not a jungle gym?

We don't! We wrap fishing line around the tree several times and anchor it to a bolt in the wall. That way WHEN they climb it, it won't crash completely to the ground -- just lean quite a bit. :rolleyes: Also, we don't put any tinsel or garland or glass ornaments on it. We do put lots of metal bells on it so that we can hear when one of them is in the tree.

We also tape the labels to the packages very well. The bows always get batted off and played with. :rolleyes: I don't know why we don't just give up on them, but I guess it's kinda fun when they bring you a bow as a little present.

Craftlady
12-04-2004, 01:48 PM
3 ft table (if that) tree sits on coffee table is our tree. Got it at Michaels Craft Store (I live there LOL) and it's perfect size. I put the smaller of our orinaments that would of gone on a bigger tree on this tree. Has strand of lights. It comes out of a big trash bag and put on the coffee table. :) When I decorate inside I'll take photo. :)

dukedogsmom
12-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Off Topic but craftlady, I love Michael's! I'm a crafter too and if I had more money, would live there myself.
I saw some spray the other day to keep cats and dogs away but it looked like it was just for the outside and it said it was hazardous to the animals, which really isn't cool.

CathyBogart
12-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Cupcake has never even approached the tree. 0.o I never really thought about cat-proofing it because she seems to intentionally ignore it. Huh...

catmandu
12-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Sadly,No tree,is right,as any Christmas Tree,will provide a tremendous temptation,to a Kitten,nad sadly some,of the tinsel,can be dangerous!

NoahsMommy
12-05-2004, 01:10 PM
I'm thinking that when we get our tree today, we're going to get a small, tabletop one, or one without lights. Someone on here mentioned tying ribbon to the limbs for some color.

I hung lights in our window last weekend. As soon as I turned my back, Phoebe had biten through them.

Catsnclay
12-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Well we put up our artificial tree yesterday with all the decorations etc. All went well, all 3 had to come and inspect and make sure we were doing it right :rolleyes: I thought things were fine. Went to bed, all 3 had to sleep under the tree (they usually do that the first night). 4:00 am came and we were awoken to a thunderous CRASH!! :eek: :eek: by the time we grabbed our glasses, there wasn't a kitty in sight but the tall vase by the tree was on its side, with a chunk missing. Now this vase has a history of getting mauled around Christmas time :rolleyes: Its been glued back together I can't tell you how many times :mad:

Luckily the tree is still standing (with all the ornaments too! :p ) and I think the little guys know that they were in trouble. But, I do have E-6000 glue, and once again the vase is fixed.

What will tonight bring us??!! :eek: :D :D

Ah......Christmas time.............how fun............:rolleyes:

catfamily
12-05-2004, 02:29 PM
No tree for us this year because of the kittens.Hopefully next year will be safer.:confused:

christa
12-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Cats don't like the smell of citrus. The first few days we had our tree up, I would spray around the base of the tree with a Orange scented room neutralizer. Works like a charm. They don't go near it now, so I don't even have to spray it.

The best I found was Renuzit Super Oder Neutralizer in Citrus Sunburst.