PDA

View Full Version : Anyone travel across the canada/us border with pets?

slleipnir
12-03-2004, 02:13 PM
I posted this under the meetings, but I duno how many will see it. I'm curious if anyone has done this?? Appearintly you need something to get your dog across the border, like health papers? I called my vet and they told me a health check and rabies papers...(which Zeke has both) but my mom wants me to find out FOR SURE (ie like ask someone who like works at the border..like costumes??) I have no idea how to do that....we don't want to drive for a long time then end up having to go home...

anyone know/know who I can contact?

Tonya
12-03-2004, 02:26 PM
My grandmother is a Canadian citizen and she frequently brings her cats, dogs, and occasionally horses over the border. She jokes that her pets have dual citizenship. I just tried to call her and she didn't answer. I'll ask her when I talk to her.

RubyMutt
12-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Yes, I have. All you need is a rabies certificate. However, when I crossed they didn't even check :o But it's better to be safe than sorry! :)

cookieluver7
12-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Q. I am a U.S. citizen and plan on visiting Canada next summer. What papers do I need to take my dog over the border into Canada?

A. All and crossing into Canada must have a valid

certificate of vaccination (International Statement of Health). This has to certify that your pet has had its rabies shot within the previous three years. I would suggest that if your three-year limit is close to expiring you should have your pet revaccinated. You must also have a certificate from a practising veterinarian clearly identifying the animal.

NOTE: Be sure to check the regulations on re-entry to the USA at www.aphis.usda.gov (301) 734-8364 (see our RV WebLinks page for additional websites). If your rabies is not dated it will only be good for one year. (My vet removed the label from the vial and attached it to our babies vaccination records with a note verifying their three year coverage).

I found this on the internet. Maybe it can help you out a bit.;)

Tonya
12-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Ok, I talked to her. She said to call your vet and he should know what to do. There is certain paperwork that he'll give you which basically confirms that shots are up to date and stuff. You have to have the paperwork with you in order to clear the border. She said to start on it right away because she doesn't remember how long the incubation period is.

slleipnir
12-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks a lot for the info everyone :D

cali
12-03-2004, 03:54 PM
lol so if I stayed with flyball I would not have been able to take Happy to minnapolis anyway correct? because she cant be vaccinated. good to know...

Mandy1
12-03-2004, 04:32 PM
They usually don't even check :p

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Mandy1
They usually don't even check :p

I guess it depends where you're going. My Aunt does a road trip to Ohio every year and only once in 6 years have they ever not checked the records. It's better to be safe and have them with you just incase:)

Mandy1
12-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Orangutango
I guess it depends where you're going. My Aunt does a road trip to Ohio every year and only once in 6 years have they ever not checked the records. It's better to be safe and have them with you just incase:)

Yah. We cross the border through the Montana check stop and they have never checked. I guess it just depends.

sammy101
12-03-2004, 05:00 PM
we've passed when flying.Bring you records with you just in case.

Kfamr
12-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Again, Amy would be a good person to ask! She went to Canada with Nebo. :)

Shelteez2
12-03-2004, 06:36 PM
I went to Wyoming with the shelties and back again. And I also went to Las Vegas with 3 poodles and a bichon and back again.

On the Wyoming trip I wasn't asked for anything either coming or going. On the Vegas trip we were asked for the papers on the way down I believe. All you need is the rabies certificate from your vet that states that your dog is up to date on it's rabies shot.

:)