PDA

View Full Version : Our new project

Cincy'sMom
12-03-2004, 12:32 PM
I am cross-posting this in all the rescue areas and in general, because I want to get ideas and knowledge from as many people as possible. I want to tell the whole story, so I hope you’ll stick around to the end.

On Wednesday, Ralph got an email from his boss about an animal shelter here in Toledo, that is in desperate need of help. The boss’s daughter is a vet is told her dad she had been helping this place, and told her dad about it. He then sent out an email at work asking people for small donations so that he could go buy supplies to donate.

Ralph took it a step further then just giving his boss some money. First, he called me, and asked what I thought. Then, he left work, went and bought several supplies and went to the shelter himself. He spent about an hour talking to the owner and got the basic history.

The guy started out small a few years ago, taking in a bird and a raccoon. He now has taken in over 200 animals, from cats and dogs to bird to rabbit, to fish. He asks for donations when the animals are surrendered,. But if he has room, won’t turn an animal away if no donation is offered. He does not yet have 501-3c status, is not on Petfinder, and really has very little exposure, except that he is in the phone book and takes, a few animals each Saturday to Tractor Supply. He has very little help and cares for most of these animals alone, with his family.

What we are offering to do, since we can’t give a lot of money, is to give our time. This where I need help and advice from PTers!! The first thing we are doing is asking for donations. We are going to talk to our therapy dog group tonight and asking if people will donate foods, toys treats, cleaners, or money to us to buy these things.
Next, we want to do is get him on Petfinder, and maybe get a Paypal account sent up so that people can make donations and know he is out there. I have offered to take pictures to post on petfinder, and when I called today he was in the process of revising his adoption contract so he can get the paperwork filed to get an account.

Beyond that I need any information I can get about getting funding. Does anyone know anything about applying for 501-3C status? I’ve heard there are grants available to shelters and rescue groups. Does anyone know where, or how to apply?

Any other general knowledge would be appreciated. We are not looking to go in there and take over his shelter or let this take over our lives. The basic idea we have to teach him where help may be available, and help get him started. Not that we wouldn’t continue to volunteer to do things, but being on PT and in groups like therapy dogs, we know a lot of people with ideas and knowledge that he doesn’t have. We want to pass that on, to make sure his shelter is a success, because he seems to take in a lot of the animals other rescue group in the area turn away, even though they are much better funded

If anyone would be interested in making a donation to the shelter, please PM or email me at [email protected].
Thanks for your help!!