PDA

View Full Version : Safer way to feed Greenies

wolfsoul
12-02-2004, 01:45 PM
I have recently seen alot of complaints about Greenies on other message boards. It seems that too many dogs have been biting off the end and choking on it.

I just read that freezing Greenies makes them safer and more effective at cleaning teeth. Has anyone tried this?

lute
12-02-2004, 02:13 PM
oh my! i had never heard of that! i'll be freezing Beanie's greenies for now on!

GraciesMommy
12-02-2004, 03:29 PM
No but that sounds like a good idea!
I dont let gracie have any treats that I am not right there with her to watch. She has had treats stuck sideways in her mouth before when she was tiny.

slleipnir
12-02-2004, 03:31 PM
What are Greenies...:o

wolfsoul
12-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
What are Greenies...:o

Greenies are those green minty flavoured toothbrush-shaped dog treats. :) Here's a picture:

http://www.livestocksupply.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/2113144.jpg
http://www.tspetmemorials.com/greenies.jpg

*LabLoverKEB*
12-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Great idea! I'll try that next time I give Sadie a greenie. Where do you guys buy yyour greenies? I want to get them somewhere where they are cheap! They are just soooo darn expensive!

Aspen and Misty
12-02-2004, 09:36 PM
I've found the best place is Giant, a chane of Grocery Stores.

Thanks for the tip!

Ashley

dukedogsmom
12-02-2004, 09:52 PM
The last greenie I gave Duke, he threw up. So, I guess he doesn't get those anymore, either :( I'm running out of things that I can give him as treats. Does anyone know of things that are safe for dogs that have had Pancreatitus? Sorry for the thread hijack.

bckrazy
12-03-2004, 01:51 AM
I've never tried freezing them. :) Gonzo is always watched when he has his, and he has never bitten off a large chunk... he usually gets medium sized greenies anyway, so I don't think he could easily choke on them even if he swallowed it whole!

I actually started getting him Nutri-dent bones by Nylabone. They have almost the exact same ingredients as Greenies, but instead of getting two for $5 with greenies, you can get 5 for $5 with these. here's a link! (http://www.nylabone.com/quest/brush.html) He *loves* them just as much as greenies, and they make his teeth nice and shiney! :D of course he gets raw bones on top of those..

rotten_two
12-03-2004, 08:26 AM
actually freezing them may cause more damage to their teeth. my gaia broke a tooth and we had to go to the doggie dentist. the doggie dentist said greenies are one of the top offenders in broken teeth and that ice cubes (even tho they tell us to use them for teething) are some of the worst things to give them. i was shocked too! when i thought about it tho -- it made sense because human dentists tell you not to crunch ice. doggie teeth have a thinner enamel than we do.

the doggie dentist said if you must give greenies pop them in the micro for 5-10 seconds to soften them or feed the lil bits.

wolfsoul
12-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
The last greenie I gave Duke, he threw up. So, I guess he doesn't get those anymore, either :( I'm running out of things that I can give him as treats. Does anyone know of things that are safe for dogs that have had Pancreatitus? Sorry for the thread hijack.
I tried to look something up, but I couldn't find anything. :( I hope that you find some sort of treat for Duke. :)

Thanks for the info, rotten_two. :)

Jody Hanson
12-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Hi everyone. I am posting some facts on behalf of the company that makes Greenies in an effort to answer some of the great questions I saw on this thread.

1. There is no need to freeze Greenies, but freezing won't harm them as long as they are thawed before serving. We don't have any research showing they are safer or more effective at cleaning teeth when frozen. Greenies shouldn't be fed so cold that they are brittle, so that they would fracture if dropped on the floor.

2. To soften Greenies, wrap them in a moistened paper towel and microwave for about 10 seconds. Be sure they are cooled sufficiently before being given to your dog.

3. Sometimes, when dogs eat Greenies too fast (gulping down pieces without chewing thm adequately) those pieces can irritate the lining of the stomach, which in rare cases can causing vomiting. For those "gulpers", Lil' Bits are a great alternative. They are the recommended product for toy breeds, gulpers and puppies.

4. Greenies bones and Lil' Bits are fine for a dog with pancreatits once the veterinarian has put the dog back on his/her regular diet. They are low in fat and highly digestible.

I hope this post has been helpful. Please feel free to send comments or questions to [email protected].

Thanks!
Jody Hanson
On behalf of the manufacturers of Greenies

dukedogsmom
12-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks so much! I hadn't heard about heating them in the microwave, either. I'm sure that will aid in digestion and chewing.