PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with microbiology/hematology?

Sirrahsim
12-01-2004, 11:56 PM
To start off, I was a microbio major during my brief terms in college, but chose to get married rather than continue with my education. I know the basic ideas, but I'm wanting something a little more in depth.

I have always understood that my blood type is B+. My mom was O- and when I was born (third child) there was some cord spillage which led to hyperbilirubinemia which made me very sick as my mom's antibodies tried to attack my blood cells. My infant records specifically state "infant's blood type was B positive and direct Coombs test [DAT] was strongly 1+ positive."

I have been blood typed twice, at different hospitals, since finding out that I was pregnant and both results came up B-... What are the chances that two different clinics on opposites sides of the globe would BOTH get the same wrong result? I've been doing research, but I can't find any explanation for what could be going on.
Is there a condition that mirrors ABO incompatibility that they could have misdiagnosed? If that is so, why on earth would my DAT be positive??? I tried to ask at the lab, but the supervisor came in and said that they couldn't legally tell me anything about anything :(

It's very important that we know for certain what my blood type is... How many times should I insist that they retype my blood? I wanted to ask the CNM that I had an appt with yesterday, but she was very busy and obviously in a hurry..

Soooo, what do you think?

Tonya
12-02-2004, 08:45 AM
I can't answer that question, but I vaguely remember my dad talking to my husband about that the other day. I wasn't really paying attention but he was saying something about how he was always one blood type growing up, and then just recently when he went to donate blood, he found out he was another. I'll ask him about it.