PDA

View Full Version : worried about some kittens....

carole
12-01-2004, 04:28 PM
In the flats around the corner is a lady who owns three cats, in a small two bedroomed flat(unit) they are not big like apartments, it is in a block of three and the one nearest the road.

I am concerned because one of the cats has had kittens, I checked them out today, they are adorable, they have shelter on her verandah and a big couch and sheepskin cover from the weather, but I am concerned they will get run over, either on the road or by the other tenants coming and going, they are around 6 wks old I think , just guessing.

I can't just go over there and say what I think, I don't know the people at all, but I do feel worried,they look very healthy and are well taken care of , obviously the owners are at work, although I did notice a window open when I took a look at them, there are two striped silver tabbies, and a couple of tuxies, not sure how many altogether, what should I do?

catmandu
12-02-2004, 08:58 AM
You have to be careful,as some people,even if they are not taking care,of the Cats,the Cats are thiers,and you better mind,your own business!They might resent you,asking,as they dont care about the XCats,and resent,the fact,that you do.I hope,that you can help,and these are Good Cat People,although,if they were,there woulnt be Kittens.

hdeneise
12-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Be a friend. Maybe just go over there. Tell them you saw the kittens in the window and just couldn't resist, you had to come get kitten smoochies. Then ask what they intend to do with them. Maybe they just took in a pregnant stray and have no idea what their options are. You can be a resource for them. Offer to help them find homes for the babies, low cost "alterations" for the mom, let them know about no-kill shelters in the area--kittens will go fast this time of year. If they love the cats, they will be glad to talk to another pet lover and show them off. If they don't particularly want the cats, they will be glad to get some help. Win-Win. Animal people are usually nice, and they must be animal people to take care of a cat and kittens. Follow your heart.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by hdeneise
Be a friend. Maybe just go over there. Tell them you saw the kittens in the window and just couldn't resist, you had to come get kitten smoochies. Then ask what they intend to do with them. Maybe they just took in a pregnant stray and have no idea what their options are. You can be a resource for them. Offer to help them find homes for the babies, low cost "alterations" for the mom, let them know about no-kill shelters in the area--kittens will go fast this time of year. If they love the cats, they will be glad to talk to another pet lover and show them off. If they don't particularly want the cats, they will be glad to get some help. Win-Win. Animal people are usually nice, and they must be animal people to take care of a cat and kittens. Follow your heart.

That is great advize!!!!:)

carole
12-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks, your ideas are good, although I am very shy , so it would be hard for me to do, but I could ask if my daughter could pat or see the kittens, maybe that might work, the cat is not a stray that I am aware of , she had three cats when she shifted in.

I don't think they are bad people, some people just don't think or are aware of kittens needs., the cats look well cared for and the babies look very healthy.

Tell me will the mother cat keep the kittens away from the road, I don't know alot about mother cats and kittens.

Yes I am wondering what she will do with the babies , and if she will have the mother cat spayed, probably not., but i sure hope so.

QueenScoopalot
12-02-2004, 05:23 PM
It sounds like a dangerous situation for the kittens, and mama cat as well. Maybe your daughter can offer to find them homes through your local shelter (though many people hear the word shelter, and instantly associate them with death). :( As the kittens get older, they will start wandering away from their mother, and the nest, and mama I'm sure isn't savvy enough to teach them that cars are dangerous. What are the chances of the babies finding homes through your area shelter? Around this time of year, calls are coming in right and left for kittens (and yes, many times for the wrong reason/Xmas):rolleyes: Does the shelter have a program for surrendering kittens, and getting the mom cat spayed in exchange for the kittens? This would be a great incentive for the folks, especially if they are unable to afford spaying fees. I know you'll feel better knowing that you had a part in assuring a good future for the kittens, as opposed to finding them dead in the street. ;) Be brave, and us PTers will help you through it the best we can. ;) And keep us posted please. :) I'm known to make entire families of kitties go "POOF" into the night, and I don't regret it one bit!

carole
12-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately QSA, the shelters will be full to the brim with mama cats and babies this time of year, it is kitten season here in NZ, and I am not sure they would beable to take them in , even if I did approach the people and ask them to surrender them to a shelter, my biggest fear is they will be run over or that she will up and leave the unit and leave them behind, of course not knowing the people I have no way of knowing that they would even do such a thing, but it happens often, especially in my area as university students get cats and then finish their semester and bugger off and leave them behind.

I am going to have a long think on this one, and take all the advice given and see what I can do, its difficult, but I find it hard to sleep at nights thinking about those poor mites and the fate they could end up having.

Thanks for you input, much appreciated.:)