PDA

View Full Version : Someone Cut Off My Horse's Tail!

Who
11-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Someone cut off my horse's (Mindy) Tail.:eek: and I have no idea who:( I found her that way when I went out to feed her. She is in a stall cause she hurt herself and we had to wrap it up, and keep her out of the mud. I can't find the hair anywhere. It was nice and long. It was cut all off, almost all the way up to the bone. :mad: I am only fostering her for the winter, so shes really not mine. Which only makes matters worse. I am sooo frustrated Right now.:mad: :mad:

Mandy1
11-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Thats horrible :(

Who
11-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Ya and shes an Arabian so that makes it even worse. It Makes me soooo mad

lute
11-30-2004, 08:28 PM
OMG!!! that's terrible! what an odd thing to do!

Mandy1
11-30-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by lute
what an odd thing to do!

I agree....

Any idea who did it?

Desert Arabian
11-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Aww, that stinks. An Arab without a tail...that's horrible. Well, at least it wont be much upkeep for a while.

dukedogsmom
12-01-2004, 06:22 AM
I recently learned that the stolen hair is sold. That happened to someone at our barn a while back before I got there. I'd be so angry! Flair's tail touches the ground and he's an Arab, too. No one better touch his tail!

Lilith Cherry
12-01-2004, 08:41 AM
OOh poor horse and poor you too!! will it take long to grow back?

GraciesMommy
12-01-2004, 10:41 AM
What a mean thing to do, I agree, I am betting they cut it to sell

Who
12-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Lilith Cherry
will it take long to grow back?

Yes

lute
12-01-2004, 03:22 PM
how long?

animal_rescue
12-01-2004, 04:30 PM
How awful! I think it might take years to grow back? I'm not sure I've never had that happen to me, but my riding instructor always makes me be extra careful not to pull any hairs out of the horses tails because as she says "they've worked so hard growing them out!" I agree their very pretty.... I hope you find the person that did it!

Who
12-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by lute
how long?

Just as animal_rescue said, Years.

Toby's my baby
12-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Is Mindy boarded somewhere, or do you have her at your farm?

Giselle
12-03-2004, 10:14 PM
I don't know squat about horses, but I know horse people who tie their mares' tails when the mares are giving birth. Can you do that regularly with your Arabs?

Corinna
12-04-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm sorry about Mindys tail. I bet I can guess what county you live in . If its the one I think your lucky it was just the tail. There are cults in one county on the west side of Washington that use stolen horses for sacrifices. The law just can't catch them. Snohomish or eastern king county ?

Who
12-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Toby's my baby
Is Mindy boarded somewhere, or do you have her at your farm?

Shes at my house

"Snohomish or eastern king county ?"

I acctually live in Clark County We're about 30-45 min from protland, Oregon.
We have cults here too, I had a goat once (a wether) named Chocolate, He disspeared one day and a few days later we found him in our creek dead with his ear missing. The only thing we saw that could have killed was a hole in his neck. This was no wild animal thing.

There is an interesting twist to all of this. alittle later the next day, some more of her tail was gone. Well my dad suggested that maybe the goats had eaten it. I thought that was a crazy idea. I had never heard of that happening. Well it is looking like the goats ate it. but that doesn't make sence to me. my cousin says pigs will do that and my nieghbor says that goats will do that, she recently got a new horse at her stables whos tail had been eaten by a goat. This is all so Crazy. I can tell you one thing for sure is that those goats will not come anywaere near my horse for as long as she is here. I guess ya live and learn. :rolleyes:

Suki Wingy
02-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Oh! :eek: I can't beleive anyone would to that! I still can't believe! that is so wrong!

Desert Arabian
02-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Giselle
I don't know squat about horses, but I know horse people who tie their mares' tails when the mares are giving birth. Can you do that regularly with your Arabs?

Yes you could, but it would not stop them from being cut off.

Corinna
02-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Didn't realise knee deep mud down so far south. I grew up in Skagit county. Moved here 11 years ago.
Glad the mystroy was solved. and just the goats.

ramanth
02-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Poor Mindy. :( How is she doing? Horses need their tails to keep the insects off. How cruel of someone to take her tail. :mad:

Who
02-17-2005, 12:31 PM
She is doing fine, Because of the time of year she doesn't need it as much. She will live. It will grow back.

EssTer
02-17-2005, 01:02 PM
OMG.. that´s such an awful thing.. Poor you and horse!!! :(

cookieluver7
02-19-2005, 09:36 PM
That's mean. Why would any body do that?? :mad:

HollandLoppy89
08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Guys...she already said it was the goats not a person!

lvpets2002
08-19-2005, 04:18 PM
:mad: OMG & I would so upset && have you found out who did it?

bckrazy
08-19-2005, 04:38 PM
hm... those would have to be VERY tall, and very brave goats to chew off a horses entire tail to the bone :( and in one night? Was the hair cut even, or was it jagged?

I dunno, I've heard of a lot of cases of people cutting off horses tails. Earlier this year, one of my friends neighbors had all 9-10 of their horses tails cut in one night. That is horrible for the horses, because they cant swat flies or anything... definitely use a ton of fly spray and a fly mask on her to help her out. poor girl >_<!

G.P.girl
08-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
There are cults in one county on the west side of Washington that use stolen horses for sacrifices. The law just can't catch them. Snohomish or eastern king county ?

hmm...thats strange, i live in snohomish county and i've never heard of that. what kind of loser cult is that anyway? i can just imagone..."oh yeah we're so cool, we collect horse tails" :rolleyes: actually i havent really been able to find many horsey places here, i've been looking for a place to ride. thats so sad :(

Scooby4
08-21-2005, 06:23 PM
I never heard of goats eating a tail off a horse before. From the first post, I assumed the whole tail was removed. However, a later post indicated only partial tail removal.:confused: I could imagine a goat eating the HAIR off the tail but NOT including the tail bone. The goat would have to be awfully close without being able to be kicked. Which could happen in close stalls.
Could the horse have some kind of disease or infection? An infection could have caused the tail rot. That could have been a possibility if the whole tail isn't gone and more and more is disapearing.:eek:
As for the cult thing. Yes and no on that issue. Yes there are "cults" out there that may do this kind of thing. However, cults don't exist soo much in "secret" that something isn't already "amiss" in the surrounding area. People can only belong to "cults" by knowing about them.:rolleyes: So someone would know someone who was in a cult nearby. The police would also have reports.
Horse tails do have a significant meaning or use in some cultures. Kind of like a "lucky Rabbit's" foot. I am not sure what having a horse's tail meaning is. You may look that up on the internet somewhere. I believe it may have "Native American" history. However, an Arabian's horse's tail is pretty. If someone took it, it may just be for "show".
I hope the horse is okay and getting treatment. Is it possible to tie something like a rope with a ball on the end to lengthen whatever is left of the tail for temp use? The ball or object tied at the end may help it stay out of the way but still be able to swing it like normal. The rope on it's own would just go "Crazy". Good luck!!!

equinelover23
08-21-2005, 07:57 PM
It doesn't seem possible it would be goats.. but hey.. who knows?

Rizzo has a nice, big tail and some people actually ask if it's fake... If I cut off her tail I could get about $1000 for it. I've never heard of someone cutting off someone's tail, but I sure do believe it.

People are just so stupid...

Karen
08-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Folks, this thread is almost a year old.

bckrazy
08-22-2005, 01:49 AM
LOLOL... I feel so stupid now :p! I did not even think to check the date, it was just up on the top, so I replied.