PDA

View Full Version : T & P's First X-Mas in the Motorhome!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Terry and I usually take a trip over Christmas. He gets the full two weeks off, I usually get one week off depending on which one my boss takes. We've been discussing what to do with Tubby while we're gone because my regular cat sitter thinks it would be best that we board him. She says when they are this old, and this "fragile" they just get too stressed when their humans are gone and she wouldn't recommend leaving him alone with just daily visits from her. So, I was going to start looking into where I could board him, to see if that was a feasible solution, when my boss told me just today that he is not planning on going anywhere and I don't have to come back. In other words, I get the full two weeks off too! I just hung up the phone with Terry, and he agreed, T & P are coming with!!! I'm so excited!!! :D :D

And yet, a bit worried. They've only been in the motorhome for short weekend trips, and the longest they've traveled in it is about 60 miles each way. We're headed to the gulf shores of Texas for this trip, so it's going to be a bit of a drive, and a much longer stay than they're used to. I know it will be a little stressful on them, but I know they would both be much happier than having Tubby boarded and Peanut home alone - not to mention the money it will save me!

And the best news? I've got a more reliable, faster internet connection now in the motorhome, so it's actually feasible that I may be able to post pics along the way!

Between Tubby getting better and now this, I think I'm going to have the best Christmas ever! :D

Edwina's Secretary
11-30-2004, 03:39 PM
You may be surprised as I was with the E's....They took to traveling like...well ....fish to water!

Wonderful news....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
You may be surprised as I was with the E's....They took to traveling like...well ....fish to water!

Wonderful news....

<hee,hee> The E's were part of my argument.

Debbie - "Look how well Eddie and Edwina did on their trip to California."
Terry - "Yeah, that's true. Ok, they can come along."

;)

Ok, so it wasn't quite that easy, but the E's helped. :D

Corinna
11-30-2004, 03:46 PM
They will be happier with mom and dad. And you will be more relaxed not worring about them too. Have a good trip.

Cinder & Smoke
11-30-2004, 03:54 PM
:)

W:cool:W, Tubby & Peanutter ~

Chrissmiss Onna Road wiff da Hoominz! NEET!!

Butt...
Duz da Motor Howze have a FIURplace anna Chimblee onnit??
SandyPawz need a Chimblee ta klimb down!
An ya needz a FiurPlace ta hang yur Sokz!

Be sure ta send SandyPawz a e-mail on Chrissmiss Eve -
ta tell him Where ya'z PARKED!

Boots sez ta Have *PHUNN*!!

:D

jenluckenbach
11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a perfect Christmas for everyone! :D:D

catlover4ever
11-30-2004, 05:12 PM
That is wonderful news!!! I bet T&P will be just fine. I can not wait to see some pictures while you are on the road.

RICHARD
11-30-2004, 06:53 PM
What do you mean, "Terry agreed"????

I think the line should read.

"Terry wasn't about to go by himself, so he agreed...."

;)

kimlovescats
11-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Oh Debbie, that's great! I really think it is the BEST option too! What better place for Tubby to be than with the family, wherever they are!;) :)

doolittleky
11-30-2004, 07:18 PM
That is great news! can't wait for some pics!
Doo=^..^=

slick
11-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Great news Debbie. Looking forward to some pictures.

catmandu
12-01-2004, 09:07 AM
We hope that Tubby,and Peanuts take to the Open Road,just think,they will be able,to try ,out the Different Take Out Places,acroos the Country.

Randi
12-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Oh Debbie, a whole two weeks off - that settles it! Tubby is coming along! :D He'll be much happier with his mom and dad, and you don't have to ruin your X-mas by worrying how he's doing. Knowing how luxurious your motorhome is, he'll be fine. If you find that he doesn't like driving that much, make stops along the way and put some cuddle time in! :)

Have a great trip!

Vermontcat
12-01-2004, 12:05 PM
How exciting that Tubby and Peanut get to vacation in the Motorhome too!:)
What states do you plan to drive through?
Are you planning on visiting any Pet Talkers on the way?

shais_mom
12-01-2004, 12:10 PM
looking forward to the travels of the kitties!! :)
YEEAA!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Phred, don't worry, we always put out a signal through the satellite dish so Santa knows where to find us. We don't have a chimblee in the motorhome, but the emergency exit window in the bedroom works wonders - and it's also a little b-i-g-g-e-r than a chimblee so Santa fits through a lot better. ;)

Richard, you're right, he really had no choice but to agree if he wanted to have fun on the trip. ;) :p :D

Randi, I don't think Tubby will mind the driving. When I took him to the vet last Saturday for his follow-up visit, he was back to sitting on my lap and curiously looking out the window, just like his old self. The only thing I'm worried about is that he'll hog my seat! ;)

Vermontcat, I think we'll be going through Illinois (obviously), then through Missouri and staying the first night somewhere around Springfield, MO. Then we'll head through Oklahoma and then down to McKinney, TX for the second night. We're having some work done on the motorhome in McKinney, then we're tentatively heading down towards Houston, but now that I've got the full two weeks, we may change where we go after McKinney. We don't "plan" on meeting any PT'ers along the way, just because it's so hard to know exactly where we'll be or how far we'll make it. Last year we planned on stopping in by Kimlovescats, but it was still light out, we were making good time and weren't quite ready to stop, so we ended up going further and not being able to meet up with her. And now that our plans are really up in the air, I would hate to get anyone's hopes up (especially mine) and then not be able to meet up.

Thanks everybody, I hadn't thought about how I wouldn't have enjoyed the trip so much because I'd be worried about both T & P, so yes, that is the best reason of all to take them. :D

iloverat
12-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Ooh, the Texas coast in December - my most favoritest time to go there! A visit the the coast in winter always gives me such a sense of peace and calm. VERY different atmosphere than in warm weather when there are just too many darned people! :D We used to take our little dog, Rat (RB '96) with us and she had a great time with all the smells as we walked along the beach. I hope you, Terry, Tubby and Peanut have a wonderful time on your travels and then when you reach your destination. Where do you go when you come down this way? Have you been to the Gulf coast before?

Kissies to the furry ones ---- Bobbi

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by iloverat
Where do you go when you come down this way? Have you been to the Gulf coast before?

No, we haven't been down that way yet, so we really didn't know where to stay. Any suggestions? Right now we're scheduled to stay at the Brazos something or other State Park just Southwest of Houston, then some other campground closer to Houston. We were originally going to go all the way down to Port Aransas, but that got nixed when I had to fly back out of Houston.

iloverat
12-01-2004, 10:19 PM
There's a pretty good website called traveltex.com that can give you a lot of info. If you want to see the ocean and stay relatively close to Houston, you might consider going to Galveston. It's about an hour drive from Houston. Galveston itself is pretty neat and at Christmas time, they have something called Dickens on the Strand. The Strand is part of their downtown area with lots of shops and restaurants. It's decorated nicely and a lot of people dress up in Dickensian style and walk the Strand for this celebration. I've always wanted to experience that but have never been. My sister lives in Houston and they go to Galveston all the time for fishing, shopping and just an all round nice getaway. Some good seafood to be had there, too.

I noticed that traveltex.com had a section on Driving Tours and they list one for the Galveston area. They have lots of other ideas and tips on travel that might be helpful, no matter what part of the state you decide to visit.

Sure sounds like a lot of fun, especially getting to take your furbies along for the ride. :D

Bobbi

ramanth
12-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Ohh!! Yay! Roadtrip! :D Have a great time... all four of you. :D

GraciesMommy
12-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Hope you have a wonderful trip! I live in Texas...what are you planning on doing while here..I am just 40 min from Galveston

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks Bobbi, I'll definitely have to check that link out.

Pamela, I'm not sure what we plan to do. Now that I don't have to fly back and forth, our plans are sorta up in the air (no pun intended). ;) Now Terry is talking about maybe heading East after we done in McKinney and staying along the coast and ending up somewhere in Florida, but we're not sure about that because we're not sure how Florida is recovering from the hurricanes, soo....I'll let you all know as soon as I know, but that might not be until we're actually there - which is the beauty of being in a motorhome. If you don't like one place you just pick up and go someplace else! :D

mina'smomma
12-02-2004, 01:18 PM
You should be excited Debbie. I'm so happy for you guys.