PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting a doll...

catnapper
11-30-2004, 03:34 PM
My daughter brought home a doll that cries and needs to be burped, changed, and fed like a real baby as part of her Pshycology class. She has a swim meet tonight, so "grandmom" is babysitting the dool! :p

She is just like a real baby! The cats are curious about her. When she first cried, all the cats were upstairs with me, and they went flying down the steps to see where that strange noise was coming from and sat and watched and watched until she stopped crying! :D

Anyone else have experience with those dolls (either in class themselvs or your kid have them in school) What do you think about them? My kids have them for a full 24 hours. Other teachers hate the dolls and kids have actually gotten F's on tests when the baby cried in math, science, etc during tests or a lab. Its a bit disruptive to the other kids and teachers, but its also good that it shows the kids what having a baby is really like.

Barbara
11-30-2004, 03:39 PM
I have heard about them. It looks as if many young girls who like babies think it could be cute to have one. And the dolls should show that it is not fun only.

I suppose having cats and having to clean the litterboxes could serve the same purpose;)

molucass
11-30-2004, 03:43 PM
I had to do that once for a class in high school. We took the baby home with us on Friday, and kept it until the following Monday.

We had a bracelet on our wrists with a "key" type thing that you put in to the babies back a certain way to make it stop crying.. We couldn't let anyone babysit for us because the key bracelet wouldn't come off your arm, and the teacher would know it had been tampered with if it came off.

My best friend and I were in the same class and we both got our babies on the same weekend.. Mine was a boy.. Lol..

It was quite an experience.

slleipnir
11-30-2004, 04:03 PM
We had to do that for a family life class. They're called baby think it over. Or atleas tthat's what we call them.

It was suppose to show younger people what it's really like to have a child (and hopefully prevent it in younger people) it even has something to tell the teacher a grade on how well the doll was cared for :rolleyes: I of course decided to do the paper instead of the doll LOL

CamCamPup33
11-30-2004, 04:09 PM
I had it last year in 8th grade.. That baby woke me up SOO many times during the night.

I loved having it during the day in school, and at home, but i hated having it at night. It was LOUD and scared me each time. :p

Mine was the same as Cori's. We had key's, except they went around the babies arm.

Once i couldn't get the baby to stop crying in school, and it's embarrassing when it starts crying in class because we had to go outside, so i went outside and i *THOUGHT* i tried every key, but it turned out she just had to burp. :rolleyes: :p But, i got a B for using the emergency or whatever button it was. I forgot.

Anyways, it was really fun! Enjoy it "Mom"! :p

animal_rescue
11-30-2004, 04:12 PM
We get our dolls for I think a week for parenting class in the High School. Except there's a daycare in the school for the babies to go while the kids are in class, I'm taking parenting next semester so oh joy:p

sirrahbed
11-30-2004, 04:22 PM
OK Grandma, better change that baby, feed it quickly and don't handle it too roughly or you will drive your daughter's grade down:eek: :p ;)

Missy "babysat" one for her friend and didn't do something fast enough and the friend lost some points:cool:

Back in the old days when I was in school, we had to take care of a raw egg:D That was our "baby".

RubyMutt
11-30-2004, 04:28 PM
My high school didn't have quite that extensive budget... we had to carry around sacks of flour to represent babies, but were required to do the same sort of things... had to have babysitters, take them everywhere, etc... but I think we had to do it for a whole week, maybe longer. It seemed like I had to carry around that darn thing forever :p It leaked and would get flour over everything. Apparently I was a bad mom at the age of 15 :o

molucass
11-30-2004, 04:39 PM
We did the egg thing as well.. The teacher put a certain irradescent finger nail polish on the egg and signed it so that we couldn't break it and then just get a new one.

We had to make little diapers out of tissues and put them on the egg, and bring a little basket to carry the baby in.. Lol.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Back in the old days when I was in school, we had to take care of a raw egg:D That was our "baby".

That's what I had to do too:) I think it was alot better than the babies:D

catnapper
11-30-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm a bad Grandmom! :o I was watching the baby and she wasn't stopping crying, so I thought she needed a diaper change (unlike a real baby who would have a wet/smelly diaper... how can I telll this thing wants to be changed?) Anyhow, the diaper was sticking to her bottom... and I leaned her back to see what was holding it up (velcro apparently) and I think her head snapped back! :eek: My daughter thinks she snapped her head once already today. If they snap the head 3 times, they fail! :eek: :eek: I hope I didn't just seriously lower her grade!

We had eggs too. I remember the boys used to kidnap the eggs of their girlfriends and hold them reansom! There'd be posters up on the walls and lockers all around the school offering a reward for the safe return of their baby! LOL

This is all too much for me to get a grade, if you ask me. Good thing I only have it for the duration of the swim meet. The kid might not make it otherwise. Hmmmmm.. I wonder if I'll paid paid for my babysitting services, of course I'll discount my hourly rate if I snapped her head! ;)

My Peanuts
11-30-2004, 05:31 PM
That is really interesting. I never had anything like this in High school. We didn't even do the egg thing. Can you post a picture of the doll? I have never seen one. :)

catnapper
11-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Here's a link to the baby with photos...
http://www.solutions-site.org/kids/stories/KScat3_sol72.htm

My Peanuts
11-30-2004, 06:07 PM

caseysmom
11-30-2004, 06:59 PM
We never had that in high school...I think its a good idea...better yet give them a recording of the word sex then shock therapy! I am starting to sound like Richard....

cookieluver7
11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
I'm a kid and I've never had it. And I have never heard of any body that I know having one.:p