PDA

View Full Version : Off to the vets and Ebby CAN meow after all!

ChrisH
11-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Nearly two years she has lived with me and today was the first time I had heard her! She has made a squeeky sound but never a real full throated meow, like the six or so she made in the car on the way to the vets. Given the fact this was her first trip anywhere out of the house I have to wonder what was going through her mind. Poor baby.

As I said it was her first time out of the house, not only that but her first visit with me to the vet. And she was SO good, let her owie be looked at, fur cut around it and bathed, then an injection, all without a sound and hardly any movement, just put her head under my arm at one point. I am so proud of her, even the vet called her a princess. :)

Not to sure I will have such an easy job getting her in the carrier again though. :) It is wire one, and just now to show you what it was like I had the bright idea to get her to pose in it. Well, bless her she did, sort of, but I had to catch her first! :) (picture attached)

Chris

Killearn Kitties
11-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Practically the only time our cats make a noise (apart from purring) is when they are being taken to the vet, then they can get quite vocal.

I'm sorry, I missed the fact that Ebby had hurt herself. The girls are sending healing headbumpies and hope Ebby feels better soon.

ChrisH
11-30-2004, 01:46 PM
ooops! Sorry! Karen, you didn't miss anything, I forgot to tell why we made the visit to the vet. :o

Ebbs had done something to her tail. I'd seen some spots of blood around on Friday, then late Saturday there were a couple of big smears on the bed cover and I found what could only be described as a small trenchlike hole she'd made close to the end of her tail. Sunday she left it alone and it seemed a lot better, then yesterday I found more drops of blood and saw she'd been biting it again. Called the vets to ask if she could be looked at with payment defered, called my son last night when he got home from work (he has a car, I do not) and we took her this afternoon.

The vet thought Ebbs may have snagged her tail on something and then was worrying at it. She cleaned the wound and gave Ebbs an antibiotic jab. I have to bathe it and keep it clean, and - here's the fun bit - beginning tommorrow, give her a quarter of a pill twice a day. Now I know a lot of you are old hands at this and still have problems so I a more than a little nervous. Please keep fingers and paws crossed that it goes well for me/us.

Chris

Edwina's Secretary
11-30-2004, 03:36 PM
I guess Ebby never had anything to say before.....:rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Oh poor Ebby. I hope her tail heals quickly, but how nice that you finally got to hear her meow! I know Fister learned to talk while being boarded once, and is now quite the talkative fellow, so maybe Ebby will turn into a little chatterbox now too. :D

sirrahbed
11-30-2004, 04:09 PM
So Ebby found her meow!! Too bad it had to be after an owie though! My Eliot is still silent and is almost two!!

ChrisH
12-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I guess Ebby never had anything to say before.....:rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:
LOL I guess you're right. :D She's gone back to her vow of silence, for now anyway.

catmandu
12-01-2004, 08:51 AM
That isgreat,atht Ebby,is all right,and that she has found her voice! And I know,what you mean.Last year,The Found Cats,were sleeping in the carrier,and I caught them,to go,to the Vets! This year ,No Way,Jose!!

Killearn Kitties
12-01-2004, 04:10 PM
How are you getting on giving Ebby her pills? To give any of our cats a pill is a two person job, so I wondered how you were getting on!

catnapper
12-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Such a good girl! I can't imagine a quiet cat, as all 4 of mine are quite vocal. Someday I think they are too vocal - they yell at me! :eek:

hdeneise
12-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Glad to hear she's OK :D , sorry to hear you have to give a pill :( . Everytime my Kitty Max had to have a pill it was torture. We finally worked out a system where we wrapped him in a beach towel and held him belly up like a football (American Style, not soccer). We'd have to rub his throat and make sure it was down or else he'd just hack it back up. GOOD LUCK. Maybe she'll be as good with pills as she was at the vets!!

ChrisH
12-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
How are you getting on giving Ebby her pills? To give any of our cats a pill is a two person job, so I wondered how you were getting on!
Well, I haven't even tried to give it her directly. She's pretty good about me picking her up and carrying a short distance, also holding her for a little while. But both of those things have been hard won and I don't want to spoil her trust by holding on and forcing the pills down her, unless I have to of course. Luckily I gave her the two doses crushed in some food and she has eaten it all.

This morning I opened a can of minced beef and crushed the first quarter into a warmed tablespoon full. She didn't eat it all but I mixed in some crunchies and warm water and she ate it all later on. This evening I mixed the second quarter up with a little bit of chicken and a little of the minced beef. I checked just before I logged on and she has eaten it all. I washed the dish and gave her some crunchies and she must have been hungry because she ate half of that before she came downstairs to join me!

The mince will have to be used up in two days so I am thinking of getting some jars of babyfood and maybe some tuna to mix the rest of the pills in. Fingers crossed that she will keep eating them up! :)

Chris

BTW she is still back to keeping silent, not even a squeek!