PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard of a silver lab & wherebreeders are located?

My Peanuts
11-30-2004, 01:01 PM
My boyfriend's brother wants to get his wife a silver lab for her birthday/Christmas. I was wondering if anyone knew of breeders for these type of labs within 250 miles of Chicago. Any help or information will help. Thanks :)

Miranda_Rae
11-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Did you try looking on the Internet? What does a silver lab look like? I don't know if responsible breeders will sell to someone who plans on giving the dog as a gift. I don't know though.

My Peanuts
11-30-2004, 01:34 PM
It's for his wife. It's not like he's buying it and giving it to another household. They have talked about it and she picked this breed, he is just surprising her with it :). A silver lab looks a lot like a Weimaraner. He has looked on the Internet, but I know PTers usual have the inside information about stuff like this.

Miranda_Rae
11-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Oh i see. My bad. I didn't know if they would even allow the in the family gifts or whatnot. They are really pretty. There are some really good websites out there, but I don't know any that would be around the Chicago area. I'll look though. :)

Miranda_Rae
11-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Heres a webiste:
Silver Labs (http://silverlabradors.net/contact.shtml)

Logan
11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
I have heard of a "silver" Lab before, but it is not an AKC recognized color of a Lab. I think most of what I have read has been quite negative/controversial about the so called "breeders" of this type of Lab. Perhaps Sandra might know more through her work with the Retriever rescue group.

If I come across any of that information, I'll post you the links here.

Logan

Miranda_Rae
11-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I have heard of a "silver" Lab before, but it is not an AKC recognized color of a Lab. I think most of what I have read has been quite negative/controversial about the so called "breeders" of this type of Lab. Perhaps Sandra might know more through her work with the Retriever rescue group.

If I come across any of that information, I'll post you the links here.

Logan

What kind of negative/controverial things? Are the breeders just doing it for money?

My Peanuts
11-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks Miranda. That site actually has one female left and that's what his wife wants.

Logan, a big thanks to you too, but this pup isn't my decision. If it was up to me I'd send them to the shelter, but everyone doesn't think the way I/we do. I'm just trying to help them find a breeder so they don't walk into a pet shop and get a puppy that way. Almost anything would be better than that.

pitc9
11-30-2004, 03:35 PM
I've seen one before, I thought it was a Wiemerianer (sp)! :o
Oopsie!!

cali
11-30-2004, 03:48 PM
I know one breeder who breeds silver labs, but I am not sure what it was called anymore, she was a member of a lab board I have been going to longer then any other board lol but when my computer dies, I lost the page, and I have not been able to find it at all. by the way the contraversy over silver labs, is just that they are not AKC recignised, for whatever reason some people think anything not AKC recignized is bad lol

tatsxxx11
11-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Hey Logan!:D

You're right, there is no coloring recognized as a "silver" Lab just as there is no such thing as an "English" Lab. The AKC only recognizes yellow, chocolate and black. The lower, blockier, stockier Lab is the Lab that is bred for confirmation and the one you see in dog shows. The "American Field Trial" Lab is the Lab that is taller, leaner, less blocky and more suited for hunting and field trials. It is believed that what is referred to as a "silver" Lab is a Lab that may have been bred with or has some genetic lineage with, a Weimeraner. (You're right, Angie!:)) There is also some heated discussion going on in the community right now that some Labs considered as silver are the product of spontaneous gene mutation (most likely from a chocolate) and that some breeders, who found a niche in the market for these uniquely colored Labs, have chosen to attempt to breed the color into their stock. There are some very, very light yellow Labs, almost white, but those are not the ones referred to as "silver." Those are genetic anomalies. I would suggest that if and when you find a breeder of "silver" Labs, you ask a lot of questions about how they came to breed that coloring, the lineage of the parents, etc.:)

Corinna
11-30-2004, 03:57 PM
They are like white boxers a non reconized tradional color. Not sure of all the reasons I don't get in to color arguements I love white boxers. May be my next dog after a few here go to the RB. No more new ones her just replacements from her e on in.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-30-2004, 05:04 PM
A Silver labrador is just a dilute Chocolate or black Labrador (I don'y remember which one). I'm pretty sure they weren't bred with a Weimaraner to get the colour:) YellowLabLover loves silver labs, maybe you should pm her. She might know something:)

GiantSchnauzer
12-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Silver is a variation of the Chocolate. Anyone breeding silvers to make more silvers throws up the BYB flag for me. It's no different than breeding 2 different breeds to make a "new" breed. They are even doing the "new color" thing in my breed.

bckrazy
12-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by GiantSchnauzer
Silver is a variation of the Chocolate. Anyone breeding silvers to make more silvers throws up the BYB flag for me.

yeah.. I noticed on that website that Miranda posted, they are breeding dogs that are under 1 year old :( seems kinda shady to me. I also get the feeling that people are trying to market "Silver Labs" as flashier dogs than the recognized colors... like they do with "Rare White Dobermans" and "Rare White Border Collies/Aussies".

GiantSchnauzer
12-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by bckrazy
yeah.. I noticed on that website that Miranda posted, they are breeding dogs that are under 1 year old :( seems kinda shady to me. I also get the feeling that people are trying to market "Silver Labs" as flashier dogs than the recognized colors... like they do with "Rare White Dobermans" and "Rare White Border Collies/Aussies".

They're also breeding the same bitch back to back. 2 litters in less than 5 months. :eek:

Miranda_Rae
12-01-2004, 11:00 PM

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted it too. :( I figured My Peanuts could decide if it was a responsible breeder or not, but I think its not a responsible breeder. I didn't really notice all those things until after I posted it. There are black and white GSPs too and they aren't a recognized color of the AKC.

fritz03
12-02-2004, 11:22 AM
I found a kennel.It's in Minocqua,Wisconsin.The website is hosting.northernlab.net/silverlab.Hope this helps.

fritz03
12-02-2004, 11:23 AM
The name of the kennel is Cristo Culo.

bckrazy
12-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted it too. :( I figured My Peanuts could decide if it was a responsible breeder or not, but I think its not a responsible breeder. I didn't really notice all those things until after I posted it. There are black and white GSPs too and they aren't a recognized color of the AKC.

:) dont feel bad at all. Thats totally true, I know you were just posting a link to a kennel as an example, and it is completely MyPeanuts' brother and sister-in-laws decision. That website is really nice and professional looking ;) its a shame that they dont practice better breeding...

My Peanuts
12-02-2004, 12:45 PM
It looks like the breeder is bad. I hope my boyfriend's brother will listen to me about it. Thanks for all the help :)

bckrazy
12-02-2004, 12:54 PM
:) here's a site about Silver Labradors

http://www.labbies.com/silver.htm

oh, and here's Cristo Culo.. they do look like a really good kennel, and are recomended by the breeder linked above..

http://hosting.northernweb.net/silverlab/

good luck!! they *are* beautiful dogs, just encourage your bro to take the time to find a good puppy from an ethical breeder... they will be caring for this dog for 10 or more years from now, after all!

Miranda_Rae
12-06-2004, 08:36 AM
:) dont feel bad at all. Thats totally true, I know you were just posting a link to a kennel as an example, and it is completely MyPeanuts' brother and sister-in-laws decision. That website is really nice and professional looking ;) its a shame that they dont practice better breeding...

It is a shame. I didn't have time to read through the whole website, but something about his "reserve your puppy now!" thing kind of sent red flags up for me, but I thought it was My Peanuts decision and not mine, and so I figured that it would be up to her to decide if it was one. :) I didn't notice that until after I posted it.

Pit Chick
12-06-2004, 12:22 PM
I know your boyfriend's brother wants to surprise his girlfriend with a pup and even if that is what she wants, she needs to be there to pick out the pup. It's going to be her dog, so she needs to choose which pup is most compatible with her. Pets are for life, not for Christmas. If that's the gift she wants, that's cool, but she needs to be prepaired, not surprised. It's still a gift if she knows about it, because he'll be paying for it. ;)

It's good he doesn't want to go to a pet store, but if he goes to an irresponsible breeder, it's just as bad. Just like with buying and house or car, him and his girlfriend need to do lots of research so they know what to look for in a breeder and a puppy and know what kinds of questions to ask so they can weed out the bad breeders. Shop around, don't settle with the first breeder or puppy they find, there's lots out there to choose from. They should do all of this over the phone or email first before seeing any puppies and getting sucked into their irresistable cuteness. Here are some helpful websites to become an informed puppy buyer:

http://members.tripod.com/antique_fcr/goodbreeder.html

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/fair/1901/chart.html

My Peanuts
12-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Pit Chick
I know your boyfriend's brother wants to surprise his girlfriend with a pup and even if that is what she wants, she needs to be there to pick out the pup. It's going to be her dog, so she needs to choose which pup is most compatible with her. Pets are for life, not for Christmas. If that's the gift she wants, that's cool, but she needs to be prepaired, not surprised. It's still a gift if she knows about it, because he'll be paying for it. ;)

Thanks for the websites :). It's his wife, not his girlfriend and it will be his dog too. I know it's bad to give a dog as a gift, but this situation is different. My boyfriend's brother will be picking the dog based on what personality is compatible for him. His wife knows they are getting one in the near future and actually I think it's not a surprise anymore. Don't worry; there is no way this pup will need to be rehomed. It's no different than when my brother and I adopted Harley (I’m 23 and he’s 29, we are not young kids, but we both still live at home). We went to the shelter on our own and found him. I called my mom and dad and they said if we liked him we could get him. They never met him until he was home with us. I think my boyfriend's sister in law trusts her husband's decision and that's why they are doing it this way. It’s a similar situation as Robilee had when Alden gave her Tori. There have been no decisions on where they are going to get the dog from. I keep telling him everything you guys are saying, so I hope he makes the right choice. Thanks again for all the help :)

Pit Chick
12-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Sorry, about that (his wife). I should really try to re-read the posts before responding. I knew something was mentioned about a pet store. I can be such an air head sometimes. :rolleyes: