PDA

View Full Version : Harley has a tumor on his head.

My Peanuts
11-30-2004, 12:28 AM
The vet thinks it's benign, but there is still a chance it's cancer. He gave Harley ointment with steroids in it. If the ointment doesn't make the tumor go away then it could be cancer. Then they will remove it and biopsy it. The vet seemed optimistic that it is a benign tumor. For the whole story and pictures of his tumor from last week look here http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=64736
His tumor is bigger now. It's about the size of a pea.

Keep those prayers coming please!

Mandy1
11-30-2004, 01:00 AM
Prayers on the way for Harley. I hope everything is ok :(

pitc9
11-30-2004, 07:07 AM
Hugs and prayers on the way to you & Harley!!!

countrycowgirl
11-30-2004, 07:23 AM
prayers on the way for sweet Harley I sure so hope that it is not cancer

micki76
11-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Good thoughts going out to Harley & you that it's just a benign tumor!

Scooby4
11-30-2004, 08:31 AM
My older dog Dirtnap has a small tumor on his head. It is kind of gross at first. I was mortified by it when I discovered it. He was given to me recently so I don't know how long he's had it.
The growth looks like little balls clumped together. He's and Eskimo Spitz so his hair hides it mostly. However, it does bleed some and crusts up. That is when it shows through the most. It also gets a waxy build up on it as well. Yuck!:o
The good news is that the Vet told me it is a "OLD AGE SPOT"!!! I thought it was cancerous and wanted to put the poor thing to sleep! I renamed him Dirtnap so I wouldn't get attached if the Vet had said it was cancer!
Now that I am used to the growth it doesn't bother me as much. I try to keep it clean and remove any debris. Many people never notice it.
Dirtnap is doing great!!! He's got arthritis, cataracts, and mostly deaf. Now that he is with me he acts like a puppy!!!:D I did get attached and now call him Smiley Boy because of his bright smile!!!
Just try to keep the growth clean. Put some septic powder or cornstarch if it bleeds. The vet told me the growth could be removed by a groomer if I chose. I kind of think it adds character now that I know it is like having an age spot.:) Good luck!!!

4 Dog Mother
11-30-2004, 08:58 AM
Prayers for you and Harley coming your way!

jazzcat
11-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Disney had one that looked very similar to that on the side of her head around her temple. It was removed and biopsy and was benign. Since then she's had a few more, always benign. The last one was about three years ago. Now she has lots of moles or wart-like places all over her and the vet said they are common in older white dogs and are also benign.

Good luck Harley, prayers on the way.

Tina
11-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Harley will be in my prayers & thoughts!!

My Peanuts
11-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the advice, good thoughts, and prayers. I forgot to mention that the type of tumor the vet thinks it is usually occurs in puppies. I thought it was because Harley was getting a little older (we think he's between 2-3), but I guess it's because he's still young :p.

DogLover9501
11-30-2004, 01:19 PM
I'll be keeping Harley in my thoughts, please keep us posted!

ramanth
11-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Hugs for Harley!

FizzGiggs_Mommy
11-30-2004, 05:08 PM
I wll keep your Harley in my thoughts. Please keep us posted!

wolf_Q
11-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Nebo had a tumor on his leg when he was about 4 months old...I had it removed when he was neutered. It seemed to pop up overnight, I just noticed it one day and I don't know how I could have missed it earlier...it was about the size of a pea too. It wasn't cancerous. Hope everything will be ok with Harley!

KYS
11-30-2004, 07:12 PM
MANY GOOD THOUGHTS that it is benign and
not cancer.

micki76
12-03-2004, 01:24 PM
How's Harley's tumor doing? Has it gone down any?

wolfsoul
12-03-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Harley's tumor. I hope that it is benign. :)

Originally posted by My Peanuts
He gave Harley ointment with steroids in it.

Do you know what the ointment is called? My rat, Icarus, has two tumors, and he is off to the vet today. Maybe I could ask for some of this while I'm at it.

My Peanuts
12-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by micki76
How's Harley's tumor doing? Has it gone down any?

We have been using the ointment for about 4 days and some days it looks better and some days it looks worse. I think it's because Harley can scratch it, but I only caught him doing it once. If I catch him again it might be time for "coney head Harley" :p. This morning it looked smaller, but it has some dried blood on it. I think it might be too soon to tell if the medicine is working. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for asking Micki :)

My Peanuts
12-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I'm sorry to hear about Harley's tumor. I hope that it is benign. :)

Do you know what the ointment is called? My rat, Icarus, has two tumors, and he is off to the vet today. Maybe I could ask for some of this while I'm at it.

I'm at work, I'll call home and ask. Give me a second :)

edit: Ok, here is it. It's call Animax ointment, and then it says (get your pen ready) nystatin-neomycin sulsate-thiostrepton-triamcinolone acetonide ointment. It says for use in dogs and cats only though. Hope that helps! :D

FYI-At our vet to check Harley out and give him a tube of the ointment the total bill was $24.50 so if your vet tries to charge you too much they are full of you know what.

wolfsoul
12-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks so much! :D I'll ask the vet if I could get some of that for Icarus. It sounds better than surgery, and less expensive too lol.

My Peanuts
12-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Thanks so much! :D I'll ask the vet if I could get some of that for Icarus. It sounds better than surgery, and less expensive too lol.

I edited it a bit and I think we reposted at the same time. It says for dogs and cats only, but your vet will know for sure. :)

bckrazy
12-03-2004, 01:44 PM
praying for you guys!! get better, Harley boy ;)