PDA

View Full Version : ?'s about dwarf hamsters

lv4dogs
11-29-2004, 02:12 PM
As some may have read in my previous post I have a new addition, a Campbells dwarf hamster.
I used to raise & breed the goldens years & years ago. But never owned a dwarf. I know they are simialr but they can't be the same.

I have been reading non-stop about them and find that not a lot of info is out there for these guys. Some sites say one thing while others say another, (for ex. some sites say dwarfs are not as nice while others say they are nicer etc...)

Anyways one of my main concerns right now is diet. Although I purchased a bag of kaytee hamster food (best I could find for now) but would like to make their own mix. I read that they are vegetarians, yet some sites say you can give them dog food & treats as treats. Is that true?

Also most sites say they are more social & should live in groups. Is that true?
My girl is estimated at 5 months of age (she came from a shelter). Would it be best if I got her a friend? You see though I am limited for space & IF for some reason they do not get along I really don't have room for an extra cage.
Is there any way to check their age? I would like to get a second opinion on that before I get her a friend as she has always been a lone hamster, if she is in fact older the chances of her accepting another is less therefore I probably would not get her a friend.

She does get to come out of her cage for at least one hour a day to spend time with me, then an additional half hour or so to exercise in her ball.

If anyone has any more tips or suggestions please feel free to add them.
Thanks

Erebus3
11-29-2004, 08:59 PM
I've read that they are more social. Can't remember how much tho. I know that some pairs raise the babies together. Also, that some are kept in colonies. Anyway, best of luk.

Maybe this site can help?
quick goole search hehe (http://www.angelfire.com/wi2/hamsters/)

DejaVu
12-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Dwarf hamsters are extremely social animals, however, if they have lived alone for that long a period of time, they would most likely not except a new friend.
Also, A lot of campbells tend to be diabetic. Watch the water intake and urination. I can give you mor information if you may think she is diabetic. All corn should be picked out of her hamster mix as well. Avoid fruits and give only beggies if she is diabetic.
Last but not least, hamsters are omnivores. In the wild they would catch tiny insects as well as eating grainds and seeds. They love the occassional meal worm or cricket.

lv4dogs
12-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DejaVu
Dwarf hamsters are extremely social animals, however, if they have lived alone for that long a period of time, they would most likely not except a new friend.
Also, A lot of campbells tend to be diabetic. Watch the water intake and urination. I can give you mor information if you may think she is diabetic. All corn should be picked out of her hamster mix as well. Avoid fruits and give only beggies if she is diabetic.
Last but not least, hamsters are omnivores. In the wild they would catch tiny insects as well as eating grainds and seeds. They love the occassional meal worm or cricket.

Thanks for the info.
just wondering what beggies are? Did you mean veggies?

DejaVu
12-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Oops. Yes, I meant veggies. :p