PDA

View Full Version : My Step Grandma died today

ramanth
11-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Hey everyone,

My Aunt Shirley called me at work to tell me that Step-Grandma Sara had passed away. She was diagnosed with bone cancer after Grandpa Smith (my dad's dad) had died early this year.

When my dad's parents divorced (long before I was born) and re-married, my dad grew up with his mom and step-dad. His dad and step-mom lived in Florida and to be honest Sara was a shrewd woman. In her eyes, her children from her first marriage were more important than his. My dad never saw much of his real dad. In a way, we were sorta 'dis-owned'.

Except for the Holidays, when they expected gifts from us. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my parents are vacationing in Hawaii, and asked me to take care of things for them. Sara's kids are taking care of most everything. I'm just keeping my side of the family informed and am going to the funeral in my parent's stead.

I'm sad she's gone and wished her no ill will. She met Andy during 4th of July this year and was very nice to him. (I was pleasantly surprised)

I haven't cried though. I'm not a bad person for that am I? I just really didn't know her. Or I guess I should say it was sad that she didn't want to get to know me or my sisters. I have more bad memories than good. :(

In a round-a-bout way, I'm asking for prayers and thoughts for Sara's kids and grandkids. Thanks.

mina'smomma
11-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Kim,

You're not a bad person for not crying. Not everyone cries when someone dies especially if they weren't close to them. We'll keep your step grandma's family in our prayers and you and Andy as well.

NoahsMommy
11-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Kim,

You are in no way a bad person for not crying. You didn't really know her, what you did know, wasn't all that pleasant. Don't feel bad about that.

I'm sorry she's gone. I'm sure she'll be missed by her children.

Take care,
Kelly :)

slick
11-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Kim, after all you've been through with Andy, and now this. I'm so, so sorry. I have had many relatives pass on and some of them I was NOT close to at all. In fact, some of them I have/did not see for years. You say you have more bad memories than good....so please don't feel bad for not shedding tears. All we can do is pray for the loved ones left behind and hope for a quick healing.

{{{HUGS}}}

Kfamr
11-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Kimmy, in no way are you a bad person for not crying.
People have different way of dealing and responding to different situations.

I will keep all of you in my thoughts.

{{HUGS}}

carole
11-29-2004, 02:47 PM
I completely understand where you are coming from, I cryed more for the loss of my RB kitty Sooti than I did when my uncle Died, because I had never met him, I still cryed, but for my mothers heartache and his family my cousin who were visiting NZ at the time, so don't feel bad about not crying.

I am sorry to hear of the passing of your step grandmother, and hope comfort can be given to her family at this sad time.

Cinder & Smoke
11-29-2004, 02:58 PM
:(
{{{HUGS}}} Kimmy.

You're doing a LOT to comfort the Family if you're flying to
Florida for the funeral!

Just be youself - offer comfort and a shoulder to cry on to
those who knew her better than you did.

Try not to dwell on your feelings - there's no shame on you
for not having strong feelings towards her.

Safe Trip!
We'll all be with YOU in spirit! ;)

/s/ Phred

ramanth
11-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Oh no no no! I'm not flying to Florida. Bad me. I wasn't clear about that was I.

After Grandpa died and Grandma was diagnosed, her kids had her move to Michigan.

Her funeral will be here, but she'll be sent back to Florida to be buried next to Grandpa.

Thanks for understanding. :)

lovemyshiba
11-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Kim,
I don't think you're a bad person at all for not crying.

Your family will be in my prayers.

cookieluver7
11-29-2004, 04:41 PM
I will pray. By the way, you aren't a bad person for not crying, it is only because you didn't get to know her well.

{{{HUGS}}}

Fett
11-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Yeah, don't feel bad about not crying. Like you said, she was a step-relative that you didn't have many fond memories of. Sure, she was somewhat related, but that doesn't mean you have to be very sad that she's gone if you don't feel that way.

ramanth
11-30-2004, 11:12 AM
I'll probably cry at the funeral... I cry when others cry. :(

lizzielou742
11-30-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm sorry about your step-grandma. :(