PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else has a SCARED CAT

catmandu
11-29-2004, 08:53 AM
That eventually adjusted to the Other Cats,as Hershey Bar,is terrified,of The Found Cats.Just as he was getting friendly,with me,I opened the door,and Moose,and Sam stuck thier noses in,and Hershey Bar charged them,growling,and biting!!!They stepped back,and he continued,to growl,until I closed the door! Maybe,thats why,he was sold,so cheaply.Has any opne else had A cat,that was scared,and came around?Otherwise,I might have to give him up,as I said,he has a good option,if the Lady,that lost her Siamese Cat,has no other Cats!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-29-2004, 09:29 AM
I haven't had that much of a scaredy cat, Gary, but I do know that the best thing to do is just go slow. It's entirely possible that with time, Hershey will learn to tolerate the rest of the Found Cats and become a regular member of the herd. I'm sure everything is just so new for him right now, so just go slow. Maybe just bring one of the Found Cats in at a time. Let Hershey get used to one of them, then when he is amongst all of them he will know who his friend is.

Good luck!:)

slick
11-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Gary, don't forget Hershey has only been with you for two days. I will probably take alot more time. Remember the Gooster? Just look how great he turned out to be. Patience, my friend, will pay off. Good luck.

BigCharles
11-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Hershey does not want to get ganged up on by the others.

Fifi was an only cat when we got her as a companion for Lamoni. She was so scared that when she did something bad I would punish her by showing her a mirror. :eek: Oh boy did she ever growl at that other cat.

One day she charged the mirror knocking it flat. She sniffed around the edges and then looked down at the "other cat". You could almost see the "light" come on over her head. She realized that it was not another cat after all. :rolleyes: But...

.. as she walked away Lamoni, our boy cat, fell over on his side, rolled on hes back, kicked his paws up, wagged his tail, and started meowling at the ceiling. I swear that he was laughing his head off at the silly new girl.

Let them sniff each other out in a controlled environment. Be protective of Hershey and don't let them gang up. Try bringing just one of the flock into the room for an introduction.

NoahsMommy
11-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Gary,

Our Jonah is a bit fearful of other cats too. Its taken a little bit, but now he's just fine with Olivia. They live together in our walk-in closet until we can fully integrate him into our other kitties.

It does take a lot of time and patience. We brought Jonah home in early September and he's coming around slowly.

Just make sure when you do the intros, its very slow and only one kitty at a time. Hershey can't feel like he's being ganged up.

Give him some kisses for me. :)

QueenScoopalot
11-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Hershey has a few things not in his favor...declawed, and an adult kitty being introduced to more adult kitties. You should let him acclimate to his surroundings for a while, and then put him in a carrier with some Found Cats bedding in it. Put the carrier in the room with the rest of the gang for a short time, and let him hiss all he wants. Another thing you can do is exchange bedding daily, Hershey's switched with Found Cats beds, and let him get used to the smells of the other kitties. He feels scared and defenceless right now. Can you blame him? Hang in there Gary, but take it much slower with the introductions. Siamese are highstrung to begin with. Maybe a little Rescue Remedy for all will help calm things a bit. Or some Feliway plugins. ;)

jenluckenbach
11-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Gary, Give Hershey time. And introduce SLOWLY! He can learn to adjust to the other cats, but he needs to adjust to you and his new surroundings first. Even foster cat Meesha (who was thought HATED other cats) learned to adjust to living here with many fosters. And also Bailey and Lizzie (especially Bailey) she hates other cats with a passion, but they co-exist with them just fine, but it took time.
Let Hershey learn to love YOU first, then worry about the other kitties. (I know it is hard, I am always impatient too :o

rg_girlca
11-29-2004, 12:29 PM
You have gotten some very good advice here Gary.

I wish you all the best of luck with Hershey.