PDA

View Full Version : I am having to change dog food I really need some help

countrycowgirl
11-28-2004, 06:38 PM
well with everything going on with my dad are money has been tighter lately and my mom told me that I HAD to change dog food...I have been feeding diamond lamb and rice.....we went through all the dog food at walmart and SHE picked out 2 foods that I can choose from:rolleyes: ...well it is pedigree and purina beniful ....I tried to get her to let me get purina ONE it is 17.99 a bag around here and she said that was to expensive and the other two are .....pedigree-9.84.....purina beneful-10.00.....so I need you guys to help me choose . please don't bash me. I just need your help...thanks in advance

LuckyDog
11-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Hello, is there any possibility you could get her to settle on just regular Purina Dog Chow? Here it actually cost less than Purina Beneful but I think it is a better food. Definitely DO NOT go with Pedigree in my personal opinion as it is preserved with BHA/BHT. Purina Beneful has actually about the same ingredients as Purina Dog Chow except in its label you find sugar which in my opinion makes it worse than the regular Purina Dog Chow. Here is a link that compares the ingredients in the food.
http://www.feedmypet.com/dog-food-comparison.html

sammy101
11-28-2004, 09:21 PM
ive fed all my dogs with Pedigree and they seem to be perfectly healthy.Kodie is eating it now and he loves it.I buy him the best food we can afford.Thats my Opinion,if i were you i wold go with Pedigree,ive heard Beneful isnt the best.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-28-2004, 09:22 PM
out of those 2 choices I'd get pedigree, I haven't heard anything good about Beneful:)

Uabassoon
11-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Out of those two choices I'd go with Pedigree.

binka_nugget
11-28-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure what to suggest.. but here's some info that might help..

Purina:

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

Pedigree (Complete nutrition):

GROUND YELLOW CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), WHEAT MILL RUN, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, RICE, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, WHEAT FLOUR, WHEAT GLUTEN, VEGETABLE OIL, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).

Taken from Jordan's site: (http://www.freewebs.com/dog-food/dogfood.htm)

"BHA (Butylated Hydroxysanisole) & BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene) - Often seen together, these carcinogenic chemical preservatives have been known to cause cancer, tumors, epilepsy, kidney failure, and a number of other things. A dog who eats food containing one or both of these has a 60% chance of developing urinary stones."

Meat and bone meal automatically makes me think of road kill, simply because it isn't a specific type of meat that's listed.

Chicken by-product include intestines, beaks, feathers, and other parts that wouldn't be sold for human consumption.

Good luck deciding :)

Giselle
11-28-2004, 09:50 PM
Purina Dog Chow Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brewers rice, soybean meal, dicalcium phosphate, animal digest, calcium carbonate, malted barley flour, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, DL-Methionine, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, brewers dried yeast, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

Ingredient # 1 is a filler. # 2 is generic labeled head, feet, neck, feathers, etc. #3 is filler. #4 is generic labeled possibly rancid fat. #5 is the leftovers of the alcohol industry. And down on the list is a possible carcinogen. My 2 cents? Wouldn't feed it if you threatened me.

Purina Beneful Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

Ingredient #1 is a filler. #2 is specifically labeled head, neck, feet, feathers, etc. #3 is a filler. #4 is a filler suspected to cause allergies. Down the list is a possible carcinogen. My op? Wouldn't feed it if you threatened me.

Pedigree Ingredients:
GROUND YELLOW CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), WHEAT MILL RUN, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, RICE, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, WHEAT FLOUR, WHEAT GLUTEN, VEGETABLE OIL, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).

Ingredient #1 is a filler, #2 is hardly a good source of usable nutrients, #3 filler, #4 specificly labeled head, neck, feet, feathers, etc., #5 is generic possibly rancid fat, and down the list is poultry flavor, and Caramel COLOR. And you even have BHA/BHT, possible carcinogens. My op? Worse than Purina!

With Pedigree, you feed twice more than you'd need to feed with CSFTDLS. I have a 60 lb dog and our 30$ bag of CSFTDLS lasts more than a month. I bet that the same amount of Pedigree would last less than half a month. So you see, you're actually paying the same amount. It's just that it *seems* more at the register. Can you explain this to your mom? How much more does the Diamond cost? Diamond is much better than Pedigree and Purina...

micki76
11-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Dog Chow :

Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brewers rice, soybean meal, dicalcium phosphate, animal digest, calcium carbonate, malted barley flour, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, DL-Methionine, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, brewers dried yeast, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite. O-4101

It doesn't have sugar listed anywhere which IMO is better than the Beneful, where sugar is high on the list:

Ingedients:

I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's just a temporary change. You might consider making a chart and show your folks how much you're feeding of the 'lower quality' food and how much you're spending on it. If you can talk them into feeding a premium food for a short while, you can compare the two and they can see that they'll probably spend more on the cheaper foods with fillers. :)

Hope your Dad's doing good. :)