PDA

View Full Version : The Polar Express

shais_mom
11-28-2004, 02:53 PM
I don't normally reply in the movie threads, b/c I haven't seen very many movies in the theater, but my mom, sister and I just went with my nephews to see Polar Express.

LOVED IT!!
The special effects are great!!!!
It was a great kids movie!!! I think I will buy it when it comes out on dvd/video.....

anyone else seen it?

SORRY IF THIS IS A REPEAT THREAD I CAN DELETE IT IF IT IS!!

slick
11-28-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm going to see it next Friday night with a friend. Can't wait!!!

Cookiebaker
11-28-2004, 04:02 PM
I want to see this movie *so* badly. I read an article on it, and I believe they said that Tom Hanks played all three of the starring roles (the conductor, the kid, and an old man??) Something like that anyway. It sounds like an awesome movie!

Nomilynn
11-28-2004, 04:15 PM
It is AWESOME!! I've already seen in in theatres twice. Tom Hanks plays the conductor, a "mysterious man" ;), and Santa :) He also plays the kid's dad. He may or may not have been the voice/s for the engineers; I couldn't tell :)

I want to see it again!! I can't wait until it comes out on DVD; I hope they put out a special edition with the book and DVD :D

cookieluver7
11-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Glad you liked it. I always wondered how they could possibly make a movie out of such a short book. I will have to go see it sometime.

chrissycat21
11-28-2004, 06:28 PM
I loved that movie! :D I wasn't sure that I'd like it but went with my parents and sisters anyways. I actually liked it the most out of all of them. ;)

shais_mom
11-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
It is AWESOME!! I've already seen in in theatres twice. Tom Hanks plays the conductor, a "mysterious man" ;), and Santa :) He also plays the kid's dad. He may or may not have been the voice/s for the engineers; I couldn't tell :)

I want to see it again!! I can't wait until it comes out on DVD; I hope they put out a special edition with the book and DVD :D

I didn't think he sounded like Santa but he resembled him.....
yes it was excellant

Mandy1
11-28-2004, 10:34 PM
It sounds like a great movie, I can't wait to see it!! I hear that the special effects are amazing.

Karen
11-28-2004, 10:34 PM
I probably won't see it. I love Chris Van Allsburg's illustrations in the original, and don't feel any need to se it in movie form when it cannot possibly compare to the combination of those illustrations and my imagination.

Nomilynn
11-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I probably won't see it. I love Chris Van Allsburg's illustrations in the original, and don't feel any need to se it in movie form when it cannot possibly compare to the combination of those illustrations and my imagination.

I think you would be pleasantly suprised. Some of the scenes in the movie come right from the book, and I think Chris Van Allsburg was involved in the making of the movie.

shais_mom
11-28-2004, 11:14 PM
my aunt told me this morning how much she loved it and that it was like riding a roller coaster. We decided to not tell my mom she hates roller coasters and sure enough the first time that happened, My mom had to turn away from the screen and look behind at my sister and I. We both were cracking up.

Cinder & Smoke
11-29-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom

... it was like riding a roller coaster.
We decided to not tell my mom -
she hates roller coasters ...

:eek:
Kinda "risky behavior" just before Christmas! :p

Reminds me of a Fire Family trip to Idora Park -
a once famous amusement park in Youngstown...

Some of the Dads had to work, and I was pressed into service to
"accompany" some of the kids on the rides...

:eek:
The "Wildcat" was a world famous wooden roller coaster.
Only one Mom wanted to ride - but wouldn't go on it alone...
"C'mone Phred - you'll *love* it!"
W:eek:W!
I kept tellin myself it was *PHUNN*! :rolleyes:

Later, Her son wanted to ride a whirley rocket thing - rockets suspended
on cables that spun out and UP :eek: ~ WAY *UP*!
"Phred will ride wiff ya, Wes."
OMG! He *SCREAMED* - and we BOTH wanted off!
I had the inside seat - which became the BOTTOM seat when the thing
got up to speed. I turned green as the ground spun by - 100 feet below!
And then lil Wes wanted to ride it AGAIN!

Later, his Mom "conned" me into a second ride on the "Wildcat"!

Hope Your Mom *forgives* you before Christmas!

/s/ Phred

shais_mom
11-29-2004, 10:58 AM
LMAO

I think she is already over it! :p

Toby's my baby
11-29-2004, 11:50 AM
I went a few weeks ago, it was awsome!! The affects were awsome!! They were fake but so real at the same time. I loved it!!

BitsyNaceyDog
11-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Wow, I'm surprised by all your responses. I have read and heard some horrible reviews on it. I haven't seen it and wasn't planning on seeing it, but maybe I will if you all say it's so good.

Nomilynn
11-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
Wow, I'm surprised by all your responses. I have read and heard some horrible reviews on it. I haven't seen it and wasn't planning on seeing it, but maybe I will if you all say it's so good.

I saw some reviews on it too, that said it was horrible. One I read said it was really creepy, because of the premise.. I was like, "Pardon???" :p

It's enchanting and magical. If you love Christmas and believe in the spirit, I think you will enjoy it :)

elizabethann
12-04-2006, 07:15 PM
I just did a search on PT for Polar Express & this popped up from long ago.

The movie was on Friday night and I watched it for the first time. I loved it. I just thought it was a great story (I LOVED the book). I cried when all the elves started to sing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". I kept saying "I do believe", "I do believe". Then I went and found a bell & tied it to my Xmas purse.

It's playing all month on the ABC Family Channel. I plan to watch it again.

:)

RedHedd
12-04-2006, 07:46 PM
I LOVED that movie! Saw it in IMAX when it came out.

Genny
12-04-2006, 07:48 PM
I actually watched it on tv the other night. it's good.

Dorothy39
12-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Okay Pet Talk Members, * I'm in the dark with this Polar Express movie!!

I do have "The Book" :D

I'll have to " check it out"

K9karen
12-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Okay Pet Talk Members, * I'm in the dark with this Polar Express movie!!

I do have "The Book" :D

I'll have to " check it out"

yeah, Kath, check it out..maybe rent the DVD. It was on TV this weekend, I almost changed the station, but once I saw the amazing technology, I watched it.

Daisy and Delilah
12-05-2006, 07:07 AM
What a great movie!! I absolutely loved it. I need to get it again and watch it this year too :)

jackie
12-05-2006, 08:54 AM
One of my fav christmas movies!

gini
12-05-2006, 10:14 AM
I just loved this movie. I promptly had to buy the DVD so I can watch it again and again.

Karen, I think you would be delightfully surprised if you were to watch it.
Yes, the Chris Van Allsburg illustrations are amazing - but the movie will not let you down.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-12-2006, 04:12 PM
I finally got to see the Polar Express the other night. I love it too!!! Tom Hanks has always been a favorite of mine. :)

It's going to be on the Disney Channel too.