PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to my Grandmother

slick
11-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Her name was Rosemary but everyone called her Rose. A true "cockney" she was born in London, England on November 28, 1898 to the sound of the bow bells. Little is known about her childhood, for she refused to talk about it much. She loved the stage and when she was a teenager, she took every opportunity to act. When she was older she worked in a bomb factory.

I don't know when she came to Canada and I never knew her first husband (My mother's Dad). Apparently he was not a nice man. After that marriage dissolved, she married again and gave birth to my Uncle. Grandpa Don was not nice either. He was an alcoholic, a child abuser and used to beat up my Grandmother on a regular basis. I remember one Sunday morning, I couldn't have been more than about 7 years old, she showed up on our doorstep after taking the bus over and she had bruises all over her. Dad told me and my brother to go down to the basement...I guess they didn't want us to know...
Through her two marriages she was pregnant 13 times but only gave birth 3 times. The rest were either miscarriages or abortions. Her 3rd child was to a girl, Violet, who was given up for adoption.

After Grandpa Don died in 1965 she spent alot more time with us kids. My Dad and I share the same sense of humour and pulled many jokes on her. One day she wanted her front porch lightbulb changed so my Dad put in a red one...LOL Grams loved to laugh and share a joke and believe me, some of her jokes were quite riske, in fact I wouldn't repeat a couple of them. LOL

She was ALWAYS the life of the partee and was a vital part of family celebrations, and yes...she enjoyed a drink or two. :D Mom and I were with her when she died in 1997, just a few months shy of her 99th birthday. She had just finished her lunch then started to have trouble breathing. She looked up at Mom and I and whispered "good-bye" then she just closed her eyes and passed very peacefully. I cut off a lock of her snow white hair and keep it in a special box.

And so this November 28, I want to wish my Grandmother a very happy birthday and I just know that she's having the time of her life right now.

Sorry this is so long but I would be writing a novel if I were to tell everything. Thanks for listening.

Please feel free to use this thread to share special memories of your Grandparents.

Karen
11-28-2004, 08:41 AM
She sounds like a remarkable lady, and an important part of your life.

lynnestankard
11-28-2004, 11:42 AM
In Memory of Rose - a much loved Grandma - and a Londoner to boot. RIP dear Grandma of Vicky xxx

Lynne

gini
11-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Dear Slick,

By sharing this lovely story about your Grandmother, what you have unwittingly done is open a window into your own personality for all of us to see.

Isn't it perfectly fitting that your Grandmother would be a survivor? Isn't it wonderful that she gave you a beautiful legacy of a lavish sense of humor?

I can just imagine how much she must have loved you.......and was proud to have you be a "chip off the block".

I would have loved to have known her........but I will join you in wishing Rose a very Happy Birthday.

Thanks for opening this window so that we can stop to pay tribute to her along with you.

Hugs..................

tatsxxx11
11-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Gini expressed my sentiments exactly and so beautifully too! As I read (and cried) through your loving tribute to this truly remarkable woman, I couldn't help but think, "that is our Slick!":):):) What a strong, independent, woman she was; a true survivor! And I'll bet she saw more than a bit of herself in you. No doubt she was very proud to call you her grandaughter and loved you very, very much. I'm sure she took great comfort in having your their by her side as she passed Slick. She surely deserved a peaceful passing, surrounded by loved ones, after having endured so much sadness and abuse during her lifetime. It was a privilege to been given a glimpse into the life of this wonderful, very special woman! Happy Birthday to you dear, sweet Rose! Love, Sandra

carole
11-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Slick thank you for sharing your interesting story about your Grandmother, she sounded like a woman who went through extremely hard times, but came out of it , still with a smile on her face, indeed a remarkable woman was your Grandmother Rose, sadly I have never known any of my grandparents, so Slick it is great that you shared these times with her, and that she lived to such a ripe old age despite her hardship, Happy Birthday to your Grandmother, I am sure she is looking down on you with a big smile on her face .:)

Tonya
11-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Your grandmother sounds like a wonderful woman. I enjoyed reading about her. That was a wonderful tribute. Happy Birthday, Rose.

slick
11-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Thank you to those who responded. I spent some time this morning going through old photos of her. I sure wish I had a scanner because there are some priceless ones. I also spoke to my Mom today at length and we laughed and remembered.

Grams, I love you very much. Please save a place for me and I'll see you when my time here on earth is done.

Gini, I sure am a chip of the block. Her and I were two pees in a pod and I know that she would have loved you very much...just as much as I do.

KYS
11-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Beautiful tribute to your Grandmother. :)

Kater
11-29-2004, 10:57 PM
I loved reading your tribute to your Grandmother Rose. I really can't add anything to all the wonderful things others have said. However, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you sharing and I will say a prayer for your Grams tonight. :)

Corinna
11-29-2004, 11:04 PM
So glad to hear you have your grandmas genes . She lives on not only in you but in your memories. Glad you shared .

Ps Mom said to wish you a happy holidays she really enjoyed your visit as I dealt with dad and the tow truck.(yikes I still get nervous about it.)

NoahsMommy
11-29-2004, 11:24 PM
Slick,

While reading your tribute to your grandmother, I seemed to be reading about you as well. You have a lot of the same attributes you discribed in her. Your sense of humor seems to be especially similar. :)

Thank you for sharing such a neat lady with us. I know she'd be proud of the kind, funny woman you turned out to be.

I hope she's having a nice time up there, with my fellow English grandmothers. :) I have a feeling they'd have their own spot, they're laughter would be deafening.

Love, Kelly