PDA

View Full Version : Need help with paint colors for my room!

DogLover9501
11-27-2004, 10:37 PM
I need some help cosing colors to paint my room ;)

My room has been a boring light blue color for a while, even the ceiling :rolleyes:

I want to find 3 colors that go good together, I'm going to be painting about 3 quarters of the wall one color, the other part(on top) a different color, and then the baseboards, doorframe...etc another color!

I have no idea where to start with colors, so any suggestions would be great ;)

christa
11-27-2004, 10:48 PM
What about three different shades of one color?

Like dark on the bottom . . . medium shade of the same color on top and lighter shade for the trim.

Just a thought . . . ;)

catnapper
11-27-2004, 11:20 PM
I always start by asking a client what colors make them feel good - tehn have them look at their wardrobe. Most people dress in colors they like... so if you have a lot of one color, pick a paint color along that line. As for two other colors, then decide if you want something dramatic, something soft, something cozy, warm, exciting, etc. Tell me how you want your room to feel!

BitsyNaceyDog
11-28-2004, 09:22 AM
When we were dating (in high school) Justin (my husband) painted his room a bright orange.

Samantha Puppy
11-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
I always start by asking a client what colors make them feel good - tehn have them look at their wardrobe. Most people dress in colors they like... so if you have a lot of one color, pick a paint color along that line. As for two other colors, then decide if you want something dramatic, something soft, something cozy, warm, exciting, etc. Tell me how you want your room to feel! That's a great suggestion! My favorite clothing color is pink, so I don't think my husband would go for that. I've always wanted a pretty lavender room (which he actually agreed to) so all I have to do is get a bedroom outfit that wouldn't look hideous with lavender walls! :) I love the clothing suggestion though!! :D

DogLover9501
11-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
I always start by asking a client what colors make them feel good - tehn have them look at their wardrobe. Most people dress in colors they like... so if you have a lot of one color, pick a paint color along that line. As for two other colors, then decide if you want something dramatic, something soft, something cozy, warm, exciting, etc. Tell me how you want your room to feel!

You seem good at this ;)

I usually dress is dark clothes(but I don't want a dark room), I like red though.

I really like rose type colors, I seen this one color that I think was called Island Coral or something like that.

I just want the colors to add "brightness" to the room, sort of like I can finally walk into it without it feeling dull and boring and ugly!

I mean this is where I spend most of my life lol

BitsyNaceyDog
11-28-2004, 12:08 PM
My bathroom is done in red, black and white. The walls are red, the floor is black, and the trim is white. The decor is black wrought iron and and white candles. I Love my bathroom.

cookieluver7
11-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by christa
What about three different shades of one color?

Like dark on the bottom . . . medium shade of the same color on top and lighter shade for the trim.

Just a thought . . . ;)

OOOOH! That would be pretty. I think you should do what christa said, three different shades of a one color.

Rachel
11-28-2004, 12:24 PM
You might want to look for an *inspiration piece*, maybe a picture or poster that has colors in it that appeal to you. Inasmuch as this is your bedroom, do you think you will be getting different bedding? You can start by finding some which has several colors in it and take your cues from that.

One thing I would like to recommend is to be prepared to put on two coats of paint. My husband just painted my office and I knew it needed a second coat but he was tired and wanted the one coat to suffice. Now I see all kinds of places where I can see the previous color (white) peeking through.

Randi
11-28-2004, 12:32 PM
I'd go for the same color but in different nuances. Think about whether you want your room a cold or warm color, cosy or cool, etc - and not least, look at the furniture and get an i mpression of which colors will fit. You also have to consider how saturated the color should be.

Get all the color cards from paintshops you can!

Good luck! :)

Tonya
11-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Kim (Catnapper) is the one to ask. She's good at that!

Toby's my baby
11-28-2004, 02:07 PM
We just repainted my room and put new carpet in. The walls are white and the borders and door frames are black, my dressers, nightstand, lampshades, and accent pillows are red.. I LOVE it!

Barbara
11-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
Kim (Catnapper) is the one to ask. She's good at that!

My recommendation too:D

Kfamr
11-28-2004, 06:11 PM
If it were me, i'd chose purples, oranges, and greens.. bright colors.

Aspen and Misty
11-29-2004, 12:02 AM
I had a bad experince with painting my room. I LOVE the color blue. So we painted the walls a light, sky blue. BLAH. I hate my room, I never ever go in it! EVER.

So, my dad has agreeded to repainting it and I'm so exited!

I am painting my walls White with black trim. I want black furniture, I have a black and white bedspread.

My inspiration?

My fav thing in the world.

Black and white pics!

My room is going to be covered in Black and white pics of my animals and flowers! We are having them profesionally printed out and then we will frame them and put them on the walls. I can not wait and I know I'm going to love it.

My room used to be all white and I know this sounds corney, but it felt so innocent and calm in there, I loved that feeling.

Ashley

popcornbird
11-29-2004, 03:24 AM
PERSONALLY, I would go with either white, off-white, or beige. I like white, off-white, or beige colored walls, with a nice wallpaper border to add personal taste to the room. I'm actually planning on getting a nice border for my room. My walls are off-white, and I like it that way. I usually don't like 'colored walls'. There are exceptions, of course, but I 'usually' don't like bright or different colored walls. I like murals sometimes...if they're really nice, but not one plain color. If its going to be plain, it has to be white, off-white, or beige for me. :p That way, you can also have any colored furniture, bedding, rugs, etc. and it will all match. If you paint your room a certain color and later get new furniture or rugs or bedding, etc. you're going to have to paint it all over again or it won't look good.

Lillycat
11-29-2004, 04:47 AM
very true pcb.....my bedroom, fairly recently painted is a deep mauve shade.....and i love it.....but it is hard to find an oriental rug for.......now i nearly wish i had painted it off-white, although the trim is white and i do like that......still looking for the rug tho!

mina'smomma
11-29-2004, 08:53 AM
A good place to try is homedepot.com They have an array of colors to chose from.

Samantha's Puppy a light purple or a yellow looks good with lavender.

Miranda_Rae
11-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Well I don't have any suggestions :o, but my room (when I get around to painting it) it will be four different colors! I will have one wall a pastel green, another a pastel blue, another a pastel pink, and another a pastel orange! I am so excited! It will be so pretty. I like bright colors because then when you go in your room its bright and cheery. :) Good luck!

BitsyNaceyDog
11-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
If it were me, i'd chose purples, oranges, and greens.. bright colors.

My friends sister painted her room in these colors, it looked great
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/kblaix/photoshop/colors.jpg

DogLover9501
12-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone :)

PCB- I never thought of having to change my bed spread and everything :eek:, I do like the white/off white idea.
I remember before we painted my room the first time, when it was all white(with plaster :p) I really liked how bright it looked and also clean!

Thanks again :)

RottiMommy49
12-04-2004, 07:28 AM
When I'm stuck I look for a wallpaper, cushions , bedding and choose from the colors i like in those items. But you have to allow for the light conditions of the room. What looks good in a bright room may not even come close in a darker room. I love dark colors or soft medium tones, nothing bright or cold looking. Love wines, sage greens, burgundies, taupes and they all flow well together. Everyone has such different tastes when it comes to decorating. I just love warm, cozy looking rooms and lean towards the victorian or country look. I'm trying to figure out right now what to do with our family room. We have stripped the old wallpaper off and it looks like crap right now. The thought's of wallpapering again makes me sick so am trying to think of paint colors for a big, dark room but it has to be compatible with Christmas decorating too. Likely some taupe, wine and warm, off white for the trim.:confused:

Kfamr
12-04-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by KBlaix
My friends sister painted her room in these colors, it looked great
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/kblaix/photoshop/colors.jpg

My friend just painted her room checkered in the first green color and the purple. It looks awesome. :D

catnapper
12-04-2004, 08:11 AM
I forgot to tell you... the HomeDeopt stores that have the uodated paint departments have a secontion where you can plauy with the colors is a computer. They have "typical" rooms and you can choose the one that is closest to yours, and apply the different colors to see how you like the colors and combinations.

That way you can try to see if you like the brights/darks/whites.

dukedogsmom
12-04-2004, 09:00 AM
I can't stand plain white walls. That's what I've got now but I have a color picked out if I can ever get organised to remove furniture and paint it. It's a really pretty medium lavender color. I want to get a rug to go with it, too. Probably with flowers on it. I'm going to have satin curtains/home made pillows with beaded fringe. Just don't know when!!