PDA

View Full Version : Missy is afraid of the camera!!! :o(

kimlovescats
11-27-2004, 11:27 AM
My pretty new girl, Missy, is terrified of the camera!!! As soon as she sees me coming with it, she starts avoiding me. The only way I can get a picture of her is to sneak it! She is so beautiful, and I want pics of her .... I think it is probably the flash, but now even without it, she associates the camera with fear. Any one else have a camera shy pup? What do you do?

I was able to kind of hold her down to get my siggie pic! :rolleyes: ;)

bckrazy
11-27-2004, 12:04 PM
hm.. Gonzo has always liked the camera (I've also been taking endless pictures of him for most of his life), but you can probably help Missy get over her fears by just using positive reinforcement. Have the camera laying where she can see it a lot of the time, and when you have it in your hands give her lots of treats if she tries to aproach you and check it out. Gradually start holding the camera up to your face, give her praise and treats when she acts properly.... this is the method I used to desensitize Gonzo to bikes :D hope you can get some pics of that pretty girl!!

Aspen and Misty
11-27-2004, 12:19 PM
I would place the camra on the ground and call her to you and give her tons of treats and pet her, tell her she is good. Then place your hand on the camra, give her treats pet her, tell hr she is good. Pick the camra up, slowly, give her treats, pet her tell her she is good. Place the camra on your lap, give her treats, pet her tell her she is good. Call it a day. Do this for a awhile untill you can hold the camra and she comes to you. THen I would call ehr to me and take pictures of something that is NOT her. When the flash goes off sayd "Good Girl!!" real exidetly and give her a treat, tell her she is good. Eventaully, the flash should mean treat, and treats are good. So Flash is good ;)

Ashley

kimlovescats
11-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the great ideas... will get some treats and give it a try!;)

BCBlondie
11-27-2004, 12:45 PM
When I first got Sesh, he was also terrified of the camera. What I did was I used treats to lure him towards the camera. In the end, I put the treat ON the camera and had him eat the treat off the camera... Then he got a lot more comfortable with it, and now he can't stay out of any picture! :rolleyes:

DogLover9501
11-27-2004, 01:28 PM
I think you got some great advice :)

Good Luck ;)

chocolatepuppy
11-27-2004, 02:05 PM
I hope you can get her to let you take pics, she's so cute! (I like her name too, my one cat is named Missy) I can't give much help, both of my dogs go insane when the camera comes out! Gotta be quick to get pics of them but they're definately not afraid.

Cazi
11-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
My pretty new girl, Missy, is terrified of the camera!!! As soon as she sees me coming with it, she starts avoiding me. The only way I can get a picture of her is to sneak it! She is so beautiful, and I want pics of her .... I think it is probably the flash, but now even without it, she associates the camera with fear. Any one else have a camera shy pup? What do you do?

I was able to kind of hold her down to get my siggie pic! :rolleyes: ;)

Amber is exactly the same and I think you are right that it's something to do with the flash.

My camera has a start up noise so you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as Amber hears it, she's off!

What I do is turn the camera on and leave it lying around for a while and ignore Amber. Eventually she relaxes enough to be able to take a picture.

Amber
11-27-2004, 05:50 PM
katie is also afraid of the camera. Thats why you all don't see as many of her. Sometimes to get pictures of her, I hold up her favorite snack (lunch meat, hehe) or I get her excited with her squeaky toy or something. Then I hurry, and take a couple pics of her./

Shelteez2
11-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Emily doesn't like the flash of my camera either. That's why I rarely get shots of her indoors. I can get plenty of her outdoors though especially when she is preoccupied by other things.

RottiMommy49
11-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Monty is not affraid of the camera but he hates it. He will let me get a few pics then he starts grumbling and then growling. Not sure why...likely the flash bothering his eyes.:confused:

One never knows with a rescued dog why they hate certain things, but I would bet my life on this....something from his past, an unhappy memory. Sad!!

Your baby is a beauty.:D

Huggles from Monty and Kiki
Deb:)

Albea
11-28-2004, 09:43 AM
I haven't been able to take a picture of Carina in over a year. She's so afraid I'm going to use the flash that the minute she sees me with the camera she runs way. I can't explain to her that I not always need to use the flash :rolleyes: I'll keep on trying, but because of her arthritis I don't want her to have to get up from a comfortable position to run away from me.

cloverfdx
11-28-2004, 09:47 AM
You have been given some great advice, hopefully Missy will start to relax when the Camera comes out. She is such a pretty girl , i would love to see more of her and your other pups ;) (When Missy feels up to it of course). Goodluck and please keep us posted on how you get on.

kimlovescats
11-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all the great advice! My poodle girl, AnnaBelle is in dire need of a grooming .... hopefully I can get her a beauty parlor appt. this week!:eek: As soon as she is ready, I hope to have lots of puppy pics of my trio!

Thanks again!

Wuf,
Kim;)