PDA

View Full Version : Did You Know When it Was Time?

dukedogsmom
11-25-2004, 11:13 AM
This has been bugging me for a few months. If you don't want to reply until after today, I will understand but I just had to ask everyone else. I was telling Anna that something tells me it's going to be Duke's last Christmas. I have nothing to base this on as he's doing well(thank goodness). Could it be that deep inside my body knows and is just trying to prepare me? I'm here at work trying not to cry. I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this way and then it happened. I guess I'm hoping for some reassurance. Sorry to have something sad for today.

guineapiglover4life
11-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Try your best not to worry. If it happens, then maybe you are right, and it was his time. If he lives, then enjoy the rest of his time on Earth. I am sure he will be okay, since you say he his healthy. I have never sensed it was time for one of my pets to go to the Rainbow Bridge, sorry. Duke will be in my prayers.

Love always,

Lexie

Tiah
11-25-2004, 11:21 AM
You know, it's amazing that you brought this up. Just before Dawson, my ferret died, it is like I got soo extremely attached to him. I could just watch him for hours and just hold him so tight. I hated putting him up in his cage at night. I got this amazing bond with him, about a week before he passed. I don't know in your situation, but, it was like, God knew, and he had me enjoy those last few days with him to the fullest.

:)

tomkatzid
11-25-2004, 11:25 AM
I have never felt that way when they were healthy, only when they were having so many problems that you just knew....in dukes case I say love him with all your might, he is doing good and I have a feeling he will be taking care of you for quite some time!!!!!........tom

flamepony12
11-25-2004, 11:30 AM
How old is he? If you really think its his last christmas, make it his best. :)
(((HUGS)))
~Devon

Killearn Kitties
11-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Yes, I have had this kind of feeling before and it has always proved totally groundless. Bad things always seem to come from nowhere with me.

I don't have to remind you to make sure that you love and appreciate Duke, I know you do.

Are you sure that it's not those two huge dinners making you feel this way? ;)

jenluckenbach
11-25-2004, 12:11 PM
I remember when My cat Bear was in about his 18th year. I worried about him daily. I even woke him up from a sound sleep every time I got home from work just to make sure he was still alive. (poor thing probably thought I was nuts). I had no basis for this except his age and my imagination. He lived to be almost 20 so he endured this paranoia for 2 full years.
It could happen at any time to any person OR pet, so always try to live for today. Make this his best Christmas and then make next year his best Christmas too. :D

Nomilynn
11-25-2004, 12:38 PM
When Bassett did pass on, I did know it was coming. I had even said to a friend a couple weeks before, "I just don't think she's going to live much longer." There was no reason for me to feel this way at that time, because she was healthy, happy, playing, eating, etc.. but I just knew. So I made sure to pay extra attention to her, and I told her I loved her every day.

I think that when the connection is very strong, it is possible. But use this feeling for the good; cherish your time with Duke and if you turn out to be wrong, bonus. If not, you know that you have make this time with him the most special :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Yes, I've had that feeling before...a few months before Bandit (my deceased Border Collie) I had an awful dream that he had died a horrible death...and it just freaked me out; the next morning I even rushed downstairs where Bandit was to make sure he was ok, and I woke up crying. When he did die later, it dawned on me, and I had that yearning to be with him again...it was so tough. If Duke is on his way "home", make it his best, but try not to think about death--instead, be grateful for EVERY SINGLE DAY you have to spend with him!! It always helps!;)

Tonya
11-25-2004, 01:43 PM
I remember with my RB Christy, I was in denial. It was probably her time for quite a while before I came to terms with it. One day, I watched her fall down and cry in pain to get up (for the 100th time) and the realization finally set in. So I guess I didn't really know it was time until the day of but only because I refused to believe it. I hope I make sense.

I hope it isn't Duke's last year, but if you feel it is, make the best of it. He's such a sweet dog, I hope he has a few more healthy years.

carole
11-25-2004, 01:44 PM
I sincerely hope your thoughts are wrong, try not to think about it too much and be sad, because it probably won't happen, if he is healthy and doing well, the signs are good that Duke will be with you many more years, sometimes we just get these feelings, I am the biggest worry wart in the world, and am always being told, why worry about something that may never happen, just passing on that, as those who say it to me are usually right.

Finger and paws crossed here that Duke will continue to be with you for many years to come, and stop worrying, from one worry wart to another lol.:)

QueenScoopalot
11-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Our RB coonhound mix Max took us by surprise. He had gone for a nice long walk the day before in the woods with the other dogs, but the next day didn't even want to get up to go in the yard. :( He was having a terrible time even standing up that day, so we whipped him off to the White Coats. Doc drew a bit of blood to see what was going on with his organs etc. and while he was preparing to run the bloodwork Max urinated on the floor, pooped, and was gone in a moment without even a whimper. :( I'm very thankful he had a full and rich life, and went without any pain, or long drawn out illness. As long as Duke is living life to the fullest, and in good health, enjoy every single day with him. ;) He may surprise you and live a few more years, but it never seems long enough with our beloved pets does it? :( I sure wish they lived much longer. ;)

dukedogsmom
11-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks so much, everyone. I feel a little better now. I know I just need to appreciate all the special times I have with him. It's just so hard to imagine my life without him in it. I ordered this watch last night so I can be sure and always have him with me. I got the men's so the pic would be bigger.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/dukewatch.jpg
I'll get it in about three weeks.

DogLover9501
11-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Val, That watch is adorable!!

I know how you feel, I started worrying about my RB lab's "last things" when he turned only 5!! Now I think he would still be here if I didn't lose him so tragically.

None of us ever really know how long our furbabies are going to be with us, yet we don't worry about "last things" when theyre 1-2(even though it could be their last things), so why think about it at 10-11? ;)

catnapper
11-25-2004, 09:35 PM
What a truly terrible feeling to have! I know Nicki is fgetting older, and I hope to have at least two or three mor Christmasses with er. Her birthday is Dec 28th, so the more Christmasses we get her though, the more birthdays we get her through too.

I had that feeling with my RB Sammie. I had the choice to put her to sleep, but opted to see if the meds would help her... and sure enough she passed away sometime New Years Eve with all of us on the livingroom floor sleeping with her so she wouldn't feel alone. Of course, waking up an emergency vet at 7:00 New Year's Day was a story in iteself... but I somehow knew before she was even really sick that it was her time.

cloverfdx
11-26-2004, 09:04 AM
I am in tears reading everyones storys :(. Val that watch is gorgeous, what a wonderful idea.

I felt it with my RB Rabbit Thumper, she was 3 years old and i "Just knew" it was her time. :*(

It could happen at any time to any person OR pet, so always try to live for today.
That is how i now live life, with both the people and beloved animals that surround me.

I will keep Duke in my thoughts and prayers, and you too Val. {{Hugs}}

lbaker
11-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Val, I knew it with my Cheeky one and knew I couldn't leave for work that morning she died in my arms. I cry to this day. She wasn't in pain, I just knew. Now I'm getting the same apprehension with my dear Badger.. wondering if this will be his last Christmas. I have given, as I will continue to, the very best I can possibly can to all my dear babies - as I know you have. I feel glad and grateful they lived their lives with me (as selfish as that may sound) but I know no one could have loved them more than I. You know that too. doG bless the days you have with that dear Duke. Don't let him see your worry. He knows you better than you might believe. He wants you to be a happy Mom

cookieluver7
11-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Well, I've never had a feeling like this about my pet, but I have on other things. Most of the time, I believe that it is my conscience talking to me trying to tell me something. It could possibly be Duke's last Christmas, but I wouldn't get too worried about it. If you are worried (I can't see why you wouldn't be) make this one special for you and Duke.

anna_66
11-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Val I see that your getting a watch like mine! Isn't it just one of the best ways to always have them with you? It's a great picture of him and I know it's your favorite one too:)