PDA

View Full Version : Soft Claws for your cat?!

Dasha
11-25-2004, 12:56 AM
Hello there everyone. I have a cat about 8 months old, she loves to tear things up with her claws and I do not like the idea of declawing. I was looking online today and found these and wondered if anyone has tried them, or what do you think of them?!

http://www.safepetproducts.com/pilot.asp?pg=softpaws_info

PS: I'll have some pics of the kitty up soon also. Her name is Dasha =)

DogLover9501
11-25-2004, 01:15 AM
I don't know alot about them.

I do know that Julie(GoldenRetrLuver) uses them and I *think* jenluckenbach does too, not sure who else!

catnapper
11-25-2004, 04:56 AM
From what I hear, they DO work, but it gets expensive after a while. You litterally glue the soft paws on like you would a fake nail on yourself. When one falls off, you reapply.

Have you tried regular trimming of her nails? A kitten that old should need weekly trims to keep her from scratching things up. I know mine scratch a whole lot less when their nails are neat and trim. (My youngest are almost 5 months old and I trim weekly - sometimes I swear they need it daily! :D I even trim Pouncer's nails weekly, and h's a year and a half.)

Welcome to PT.. can't wait to see pictures of your little girl!

Jods
11-25-2004, 06:51 AM
They are 20$ for a pack of 40 you use 10 I used 8 I didn't put one on her dew claw or back paws... They come in all colours and they do work. Only use them if your cat is an indoor cat though. You may think its expensive, but your cat will be better off then being declawed. If you do get them your cat will not even notice them. Pixie still tried to pick the furniture LOL... I don't use them anymore because she eventually stopped doing it. If she does it again I have more to put on her :)

catmandu
11-25-2004, 08:33 AM
The idea,that I could actually get,a Found Cat,to sit still,while I ,with poor eyesight,and slow reflexes,puts soft claws,on them,is so funny,its like Science Fiction.

DogLover9501
11-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
The idea,that I could actually get,a Found Cat,to sit still,while I ,with poor eyesight,and slow reflexes,puts soft claws,on them,is so funny,its like Science Fiction.

LOL Putting those on my two seem like Science Fiction too, Gary!

GoldenRetrLuver
11-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Yep! We use them on our kitties. The first couple times though, when we first put them on, Angel and Dillian would try to PULL them off of their claws. It takes them a while to get used to it, but they do work.

Here's the *official* Soft Paws website:
http://www.softpaws.com/

All of the information you would need is pretty much on that site. :)

Dasha
11-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the replies! Think I'm going to oreder them and give them a try! Pink seems like her colour ;)

This is a picture of her, best I could get!! She doesn't hold still long...lol

QueenScoopalot
11-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Welcome to Pettalk! Dasha is a beauty! Have you tried different types of scratching boards, trees etc? Some cats adore cardboard scratching boards on the floor, while others prefer vertical styles like posts. If you have a post, or are planning on getting her one, go for one at least four feet tall as cats mostly use surfaces to flex their leg muscles, more than scratching itself. I've seen posts that are cheesy little rug covered things no more than two feet high, and people wonder why the cats are scratching the sides of furniture LOL! :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: I've never used the Soft Claws here as I have multiple surfaces for every cat's enjoyment. The paws down favorite is my support beam in the basement which is (well was) covered top to bottom with sisal rope. Great fun for climbing and playing squirrel! ;) They've managed to trash it quite nicely. :rolleyes:

NoahsMommy
11-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk! :)

I've used them on my cats a lot and really like them. I know Wolflady uses them too and is happy with them.

I think the pink would look cute on Dasha. :)