PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Quick!!! For Puppy!!!!

RobiLee
11-24-2004, 04:50 PM
My friend has a litter of puppies and one is not doing very well. It is a day old and will not nurse. Wondering if anyone can give some advice so she can help this puppy survive.

Thanks Robin :)

tatsxxx11
11-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Oh gosh Robin:( I have no experience caring for new born puppies:( I know others here have and hopefully they'll respond. I think there's a puppy formula you can buy and bottle feed. Has your friend called her vet for advice? I hope the mom is otherwise caring for the little one:( Paws crossed for the wee one. Please keep us updated!

Karen
11-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Send a PM to Aly - she has bottlefed pups!

lovingisliving76
11-24-2004, 05:53 PM
try giving it a little taste of honey. I had that problem once and thats what the vet told me to do. It could have the "fading puppy syndrom" not trying to worry but you really should take it to the vet pronto! Puppies die very easily when not getting the nutrition they need in a short amount of time. Good luck and I'll pray for him.

RobiLee
11-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks Sandra and Karen.

The rest of the puppies are fine and nursing. It is just the one tht is growing weak and will not nurse from her mommy. My friend said that the puppie does seem to be nursing from a bottle right at this minute but all she has is 2 % milk and she doesn't know if that is the right thing to do. She is not able to get into town at this time so if there is something else the pup should have I will pick it up for her and take it to her.

I'll pm Aly also.

Thanks...Robin

RobiLee
11-24-2004, 07:00 PM
I pm'd Aly and she was very quick with her reply. I can't thank you enough, Aly.

I just got off the phone with my girlfriend and she has moved mommy and puppies to a warmer place and let mommy have her baby back and mommy seems to be taking care of her. The puppy is finally starting to nurse from mommy. So she will just keep an eye on things and see what happens. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep you posted on the puppies.

Robin

aly
11-24-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm SO glad the puppy has started to nurse!

The best thing for your friend to do now is to keep as close an eye as possible on the baby. She may have to keep encouraging the baby to nurse.

Continuted prayers coming.

anna_66
11-24-2004, 08:57 PM
I'm glad to hear that the puppy is nursing now!

delidog
11-25-2004, 06:15 AM
is the puppy o.k. today????

RobiLee
11-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Puppy is doing great! My girlfriend was up most of the night to make sure all was going well. So she is tired this morning and still has Thanksgiving dinner to prepare. She made sure the other babies were making room for the little girl. She said our little girl is getting squirmy again and using her tiny little paws to find her way and hang on to momma when she is nursing.

There are nine pups in total and it sounds like Samantha is being a wonderful mommy.

Thanks for the advice and for caring!

Robin :)

P.S. I'm attaching a pic of the mommy and daddy. I'm sure the pups are real cuties. If I remember right they are all black and white with one being all white with a black head and one puppy is brown and white.

cloverfdx
11-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Glad to hear the pup is doing well :D. Aw the parents are lovely, are they Jack Russell Terriers? (The dog on the left looks very JRT, but the other has pricked ears). Please keep us posted on how the little one gets on.